Jimi Hendrix Experience--Live in MAUI Blu-ray release with 5.1 Mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be great (and I am sure it could take a whole report) on how they cleaned up the wind noise... I know cause I recorded waves on a beach in Bora Bora (well , Tahaa) in Quad and it had a NORMAL breeze and I had to notch basically ALL of the low end to clean it up!!!

it would be great (and I am sure it could take a whole report) on how they cleaned up the wind noise... I know cause I recorded waves on a beach in Bora Bora (well , Tahaa) in Quad and it had a NORMAL breeze and I had to notch basically ALL of the low end to clean it up!!!

Did ya see that hi-tech windscreen on Jimi's mic?

I watched the movie in it's entirety yesterday, very good and quite enjoyable. I started from a place of only knowing the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack and after watching this movie I have no desire to ever watch Rainbow Bridge.
I was very much engaged with this movie soaking up this intense/brief bit of Hendrix history. I found the discussion and documentary very good.
After I watched the documentary first part, took a ride to the coast and listened to the CD's in car and they sound real good.
When I got home I watched Show 1 & 2 and was mostly happy to receive a broken version of a space in time.
I am always satisfied with history that you can see, wish i could see a movie of archived footage of Making Of The Pyramids, but that film is lost, but maybe the Aliens from space will let us see it some day? I digress.
When I was watching the documentary and they would show clips of the concert I thought, man, those drums sound real good.
Then at end of movie Eddie Cramer explains all the drums tracks where gone and Mitch Mitchell recreated them, OK that now makes sense as to there different sound.
The overall 5.1 sound actually was good compared to what it could have been.
Anybody who knows even a tiny bit of audio would look at the film and say, How did they get all the wind noise out of the audio?
I thought it would have been cool to add a section on the Blu Ray as an example of what the audio was prior to clean up, I would have liked to hear that just for reference.
It was a bit irritating to be watching SHOWS and screen goes "All Cameras Stopped" but I understand.
As always when I watch Jimi on stage I am completely amazed at his ability to play guitar with the ease and swagger that he does, I would put Jimi over Eddie any day of the week.
I was surprised that the audience was 99% white blond people, where was the brown Hawaiian community?
Where they all really stoned or where they all trying to soak in Hendrix?
I am glad I purchased, from a visual historical perspective, but I won't bother ripping any of it's CD's or BD because it is likely a vanity Hendrix issue for me and have no plans on re watching any of the Blu Ray anytime soon. The CD's are equal to any other Hendrix cD's I have.

When I was watching the documentary and they would show clips of the concert I thought, man, those drums sound real good.
Then at end of movie Eddie Cramer explains all the drums tracks where gone and Mitch Mitchell recreated them
So you're confirming here that the drums remain lost? They released this with the overdubbed drums then? That's all too bad. Oh well. This would have been kind of a big deal if they had found a way to restore that! I guess that's why there wasn't any discussion around it or a big mention on the package.

Going by memory of reading something 40 years ago...
I thought I read that the issue was sync lost between two 8 track decks. One deck had all the drum tracks. The other had everything else. So at the end of the day they had a choice between just the drums by themselves or everything else by itself. Nowadays that out of sync lock tape could be sync'd up digitally with no loss or artifacts. If any of this is true, restoring the multitrack to work from would be very possible. So I was hoping that's what this release was going to be about.

That overdubbed version. Mitch made a valiant effort but it's not quite right. It's only about the most challenging impossible studio job you could come up with to be fair! (Dubbing drums into something with a live tempo. And material like this with constant improvising!)

So you're confirming here that the drums remain lost? They released this with the overdubbed drums then? That's all too bad. Oh well. This would have been kind of a big deal if they had found a way to restore that! I guess that's why there wasn't any discussion around it or a big mention on the package.

I thought I read that the issue was sync lost between two 8 track decks. One deck had all the drum tracks. The other had everything else. So at the end of the day they had a choice between just the drums by themselves or everything else by itself. Nowadays that out of sync lock tape could be sync'd up digitally with no loss or artifacts. If any of this is true, restoring the multitrack to work from would be very possible. So I was hoping that's what this release was going to be about.

That overdubbed version. Mitch made a valiant effort but it's not quite right. It's only about the most challenging impossible studio job you could come up with to be fair! (Dubbing drums into something with a live tempo. And material like this with constant improvising!)
Well of course I cannot be technical as I am not educated enough. But, at the end of the documentary Eddie Kramer talks about the lost drums. Mitch Mitchell came into the studio and recreated the drum track using a little 6" X 6" screen with the live video footage of him playing the drums while looking at this small screen.
Unfortunately once you see and know this from the documentary and then watch the two live shows (Show 1 and Show 2) the drums audio are mostly out of sync with the video. The sound of a snare while watching the hit of a tom as an example.
Without looking at the video, whether closing your eyes or listening to a CD in a car the drum track seems just right to me.

I believe Kramer explains the drum issue in this AC interview:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...release-with-5-1-mix.29017/page-3#post-529457

The workflow of overdubbing drums to the "everything else but the drum tracks" tape is explained well and obvious enough. That's always been the case.

I just remember reading that the issue wasn't that the 2nd "drum tracks" master tape was lost, it was that the sync between decks failed to track and thus the drum tracks ebb and flow vs the other tracks as devices that are not sync'd will do over time. THAT could be worked with digitally today. Apparently that ship has sailed? Either that story is correct and the drum master was lost later down the road or that story was twisted and/or the 2nd multitrack deck with the drum tracks failed altogether at the show.

I remember reading details like they knew there was trouble and even tried switching the master/slave orientation back and forth between the decks. Finally they had to give up and just roll both decks and hope for the best. Which is impossible with analog decks of course and thus led to trying to redo the drums after. Maybe they only have the 16 track they would have transferred the original 8 track to and the 2nd 8 track drum master is now lost?

I remember reading details like they knew there was trouble and even tried switching the master/slave orientation back and forth between the decks. Finally they had to give up and just roll both decks and hope for the best. Which is impossible with analog decks of course and thus led to trying to redo the drums after. Maybe they only have the 16 track they would have transferred the original 8 track to and the 2nd 8 track drum master is now lost?
All of this reminds me of the sync issues that plagued and delayed Zappa's Live From Roxy & Elsewhere. Crazy difficulties.

One of the things that really struck me watching the Maui performance is how happy, healthy, and engaged Jimi looks throughout. Given that he died about 6 weeks later on September 18, his appearance here doesn't align with historical claims by supposed people in the know that Jimi was a shell of his former self and looked like death warmed over in the weeks leading up to his death.

Love you, Jimi!!!

One of the things that really struck me watching the Maui performance is how happy, healthy, and engaged Jimi looks throughout. Given that he died about 6 weeks later on September 18, his appearance here doesn't align with historical claims by supposed people in the know that Jimi was a shell of his former self and looked like death warmed over in the weeks leading up to his death.

Love you, Jimi!!!
he was definitely murdered...Mike Jeffries sent some thugs to do it cause he was worth more dead...
He was "drowned" with wine...there was no alcohol in his blood..very sad and very ugly end for someone so talented,,,"death by misadventure"...yeah right...

I used to have an article about this. Supposedly people like Buddy Miles were aware Hendrix was afraid of Jeffries and was set up for some kind of drug bust.
Jeffries was in British MI5 and years later supposedly drowned in a swimming accident but his body was never found.
Yup tragic like Mozart dying young.
Brian Jones murderer confessed on his death bed but we will probably never know what really happened.

Just finished watching the DOC.....it was interesting!!! The concert footage is just ok.......too broken up with the SAME STILL shot used over and over and over again......I think IMHO the FULL MOVIE flows much better even though most of you think it SUCKS........I guess most of you JUST DON"T GET IT šŸ¤£ :) :smokin:love:

Unfortunately I only saw Hendrix in concert one time...before Woodstock.
Me 2, but I didnā€™t even know I had seen him.....Hendrix opened for The Monkees in Toronto.....I begged someone to take me to see Peter, Davey, Mickey and Mike and my dad won....I bet he hated the whole EXPERIENCE.....(pun intended)šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I didnā€™t realize I saw him til like 25 years later when I read about Hendrix being kicked off the tour

Me 2, but I didnā€™t even know I had seen him.....Hendrix opened for The Monkees in Toronto.....I begged someone to take me to see Peter, Davey, Mickey and Mike and my dad won....I bet he hated the whole EXPERIENCE.....(pun intended)šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I didnā€™t realize I saw him til like 25 years later when I read about Hendrix being kicked off the tour
Hendrix opening for the Monkees...that IS a long time ago...

Back