Jimi Hendrix Experience-"Los Angeles Forum: April 26, 1969" (11/18/2022-Experience Hendrix/Legacy)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it's not as if he didn't try!!!
One of the MANY kudos Jimi gets from me is that he did his best to "professionally"record as much as possible of his output , which , at the time , was not nearly as easy as it sounds...that is why there are SO MANY of his live recordings around...and thankfully , a 4 track was more than enough for bass, drums , guitar and voice!
Jimi did record a lot of his shows. I seem to recall that the recording of Ottawa '68 is one of his and also that live tape of Joni from the same week that surfaced fairly recently. Unfortunately, his management did their best to get other people to lay out their own money to record live shows. The result of which is that something like the RAH shows from '69, still don't have an official release of either show in audio or video. Nowadays it's most likely that its the current administration are carrying on the previous management's legacy. Otherwise we'd have had an official video of RAH in our collections many years ago

Forum '70 is available as an audience recording with lots of interesting tunes but the diehards still hope there's pro recording out there. We may never find out

I picked up an Experience Hendrix CD of the Berkeley second show still haven't listened to it. Is that on the Berkeley DVD?

Jimi did record a lot of his shows. I seem to recall that the recording of Ottawa '68 is one of his and also that live tape of Joni from the same week that surfaced fairly recently. Unfortunately, his management did their best to get other people to lay out their own money to record live shows. The result of which is that something like the RAH shows from '69, still don't have an official release of either show in audio or video. Nowadays it's most likely that its the current administration are carrying on the previous management's legacy. Otherwise we'd have had an official video of RAH in our collections many years ago

Forum '70 is available as an audience recording with lots of interesting tunes but the diehards still hope there's pro recording out there. We may never find out
I have a copy called RAW218 XANADU archives February 18, 1969 Moonchild Records. MC-026 taken from the mixer if that is what you are referring to?
Disc 1
01.Tax free
02.Fire
03.Hear my Train A Comin'
04.Foxy Lady
05.Red House

Disc 2
01. Sunshine Of Your Love
02. Spanish Castle Magic / Message To Love
03. Star Spangled Banner
04. Purple Haze
05. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

I have a copy called RAW218 XANADU archives February 18, 1969 Moonchild Records. MC-026 taken from the mixer if that is what you are referring to?
Disc 1
01.Tax free
02.Fire
03.Hear my Train A Comin'
04.Foxy Lady
05.Red House

Disc 2
01. Sunshine Of Your Love
02. Spanish Castle Magic / Message To Love
03. Star Spangled Banner
04. Purple Haze
05. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
The 18th is the first show. They later found that the film was unusable as there was insufficient lighting. For the second show on the 24th the house lights were left on and what you can see on YT etc is bootleg footage of that show. From memory, both shows were financed and recorded by Gold and Goldstein and other than the theatre showing of the second show last year (?), there has been no alleged official release of any of this material because no suitable financial agreement could be undertaken. Even so, they tried to get away with a couple of tracks on the original In the West LP by claiming that they were recorded elsewhere. That worked so well that they ended up in court due to violation of copyright. The rerelease of In the West more recently no longer have the RAH tracks Little Wing and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Not sure how those Astor LPs Experience and More Experience got away with releasing RAH material or maybe they also were grey area bootlegs? So the average fanatic, is still awaiting an official release of this material but we may expire before then. As it is, I do have dubs of both shows in soundboard and audience recordings and soundcheck for the 24th, but they've not been officially released, still! Obviously the family has access to the masters like BoG but in this case they can't release it. It is thought that the soundboard tapes were mixes rather than stereo captures of the shows but can't be sure. Most of the grey area releases of Jimi material are bootlegs of material that was uncovered and shared freely by a group of fanatics that were later titled Archived Traded Material. The original group called them something quite different

Good stuff.

BD back.jpg

Back