HiRez Poll Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - ELECTRIC LADYLAND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Jimi Hendrix Experience - ELECTRIC LADYLAND

• Total voters
Hope this place doesn't turn into a Beatles worship place like "that other forum". I get the excitement of newness and all, but The Beatles (album) 5.1 as the best surround disc out there?? Come on people....It's good, really good, but there surely is much, much more exciting surround music that deserves the #1 spot.
Think what you are seeing maybe the after effects of Sgt Peppers and most on here including myself who were a let down by the 5.1 mix all so far on how goo
I voted 10. I turned off all media and just sat and listened, mostly staring at the screen, kept looking at the girl lower left with sun glasses on but also was looking at everyone, also looking at the slides that popped up. I would close my eyes occasionally and just breathe and listen. True heaven for me that this iconic album of my youth now had new life. I am happy to say I listened to Hendrix when he was alive. I know this disc intimately and I am able to know what's coming up split seconds before it comes up. The new mix creates an entirely different way of listening, I was able to hear little buried things that where now open, I was able to hear the same things but now spreading across multiple speakers. This new release should be up for surround grammy. There where a few moments where the fidelity wasn't quite good in the midrange and strained a little to high, harsh, but they where brief.
I did not do a critical listen with pen and paper as so many others are doing that on social media.
Is it good enough to take the top spot over DSOTM? Some tracks by a mile, some tracks not.
I absolutely loved this new surround release.

I have listened to EL 4 times already did not bother with the other discs just 5.1 the more I play it I find myself in a state of awe. I remember listening to this on vinyl and Cd when EL first came out. Nothing from the earlier media hold a candle to this. I am just amazed on how good this sounds.

Would they release another of my personal favourite albums..The Cry Of Love... In surround?
I'd be happy with a surround release of The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge separately or, even better, a surround release of the combo First Rays of the New Rising Sun, as long as it included Pali Gap, my favorite Hendrix song, natch.

I couldn't be happier with this release of Electric Ladyland. As a kid, I rarely listened to the whole album because I preferred the hits. As an older guy with more patience, I am blown away by the experience(!) of listening to the whole album and reveling in its audaciousness.

Last edited:
Electric Ladyland has been one of those classic albums that I wanted to hear in 5.1 Blu-Ray audio and I'm very happy that it's here! Jimi's original engineer, Eddie Kramer, did a fine job on 5.1 surround mix and it's great to have the original mix on the Blu-Ray as well. Also, loving the book with the new notes and the front cover artwork that Jimi originally wanted for the LP. My only disappointment with the set is the "too loud remaster" on the CD (I feel that these things should be the flat-transfers that Steven Wilson does on the albums that he works on). Voted 10!

Well yeah. I gotta give this a “10”. I actually never knew this album well before. I own a CD of it but maybe only ever played it once or twice. Just a little too weird and trippy for me I guess? Never in that mood. I know the radio hits very well of course.

This thing is amazing. The sound quality is great for the time period, and the 5.1 mix is just out of this world. Is it too trippy and distracting for long time fans of the album? I could see where it might be, but I can’t imagine Jimi would have wanted this to sound any other way.

The content? I guess not every song is a classic, but it all seems like one long trip to me. I haven’t played any of the bonus stuff yet. I may get to some of it eventually. And ever playing the stereo would seem like a waste of time. I’ve read on other forums the mastering of it is poor or whatever? Pffft. Who cares? This one is all about the surround which sounds like I’m surrounded by a guitar god. If I didn’t “get” the genius of Hendrix before (which I did) I certainly completely understand it now!

I gave it a nine. It's a really good, if slightly conservative mix and the fidelity is excellent. I only heard one thing that bothered me, but it was on my second favorite track and it was distracting enough for me that it hurt my enjoyment of the album. I don't understand the treatment they gave the snare in All Along the Watchtower. It sounds very, for lack of a better word, fake. It's the one spot where I am hearing technology rather than music. FWIW, I think a nine is a very high score. I try to reserve 10's for releases I personally find to be perfect, so don't jump on me for pulling down the aggregate, please.
Not jumping on your score at all. 9 is great.

But you think the mix is CONSERVATIVE?

Not sure I can follow you on that one.

In comparison to the music. Not necessarily in comparison to other surround mixes. EL is a head trip.
Yeah. No doubt. I think this mix is pretty trippy though too. He’s working he joystick panning the guitar around in circles.

I love it. But if it was any more aggressive it might give me a headache!

You can make a personal assessment as to the music within Electric Ladyland but I hear Jimi Hendrix making a bold statement in expanding the boundaries as a musician. I find it to be an exceptional album.

As noted in the liner notes by Eddie Kramer, most of Electric Ladyland was recorded on twelve-tracks. The 5.1 mix is sourced from the original master tapes. After listening to the full album a few times, I can comfortably state the audio quality is absolutely astonishing.

What is real interesting is the approach taken by Kramer to the surround mix. As the original mixing engineer in 1968, he understands the original intent of Hendrix in these recordings. But his approach to mixing is somewhat unusual. The drum are placed in the rear channels. The bass is placed in all four corners. Hendrix vocals are placed in the centre channel (with some bleed to front left and right) plus vocal placement in the rear channels. As a result, the drums and bass underpin the Hendrix vocals pushing everything toward the centre of the mix. You can hear placement of organ, piano, sax, backing vocals etc. discreetly in different channels but they are supplemental in nature. However, what is special about the 5.1 mix are the guitars.

In my opinion, Kramer specifically showcases the guitar wizardry of Hendrix. The guitars are spotlighted as they effortlessly move around the parameters of the soundfield. Everything is so well balanced allowing the guitars to sound natural moving from channel to channel. This is not a flashy mix; it is a tasteful mix that allows the sonic qualities to shine on Hendrix as an extraordinary musician.

From my perspective, Electric Ladyland was meant to be heard in surround. Kudos to Eddie Kramer for the superb 5.1 mix.

You can make a personal assessment as to the music within Electric Ladyland but I hear Jimi Hendrix making a bold statement in expanding the boundaries as a musician. I find it to be an exceptional album.

As noted in the liner notes by Eddie Kramer, most of Electric Ladyland was recorded on twelve-tracks. The 5.1 mix is sourced from the original master tapes. After listening to the full album a few times, I can comfortably state the audio quality is absolutely astonishing.

What is real interesting is the approach taken by Kramer to the surround mix. As the original mixing engineer in 1968, he understands the original intent of Hendrix in these recordings. But his approach to mixing is somewhat unusual. The drum are placed in the rear channels. The bass is placed in all four corners. Hendrix vocals are placed in the centre channel (with some bleed to front left and right) plus vocal placement in the rear channels. As a result, the drums and bass underpin the Hendrix vocals pushing everything toward the centre of the mix. You can hear placement of organ, piano, sax, backing vocals etc. discreetly in different channels but they are supplemental in nature. However, what is special about the 5.1 mix are the guitars.

In my opinion, Kramer specifically showcases the guitar wizardry of Hendrix. The guitars are spotlighted as they effortlessly move around the parameters of the soundfield. Everything is so well balanced allowing the guitars to sound natural moving from channel to channel. This is not a flashy mix; it is a tasteful mix that allows the sonic qualities to shine on Hendrix as an extraordinary musician.

From my perspective, Electric Ladyland was meant to be heard in surround. Kudos to Eddie Kramer for the superb 5.1 mix.
Damn, was salivating about the new Kramer 5.1 mix based on these reviews until the ‘drums in the rears’ comment you just made. I dont mind drum or percussive accents in the surrounds, but as a 5.1 enthusiast who has smaller surrounds than mains, I hope this doesn’t mean that Mitch’s incredible and powerful contribution is totally relegated to the surrounds! Grrrr!

I’ll likely get this as Electric Ladyland is my favorite album of all time and Jimi, IMHO, is the greatest musician I’ve experienced in my life on this planet. Was an immediate convert when my oldest brother brought Are You Experienced? home when I was a mere 10 year old.

The power of Mitch in the rears? Grrrr!

Damn, was salivating about the new Kramer 5.1 mix based on these reviews until the ‘drums in the rears’ comment you just made. I dont mind drum or percussive accents in the surrounds, but as a 5.1 enthusiast who has smaller surrounds than mains, I hope this doesn’t mean that Mitch’s incredible and powerful contribution is totally relegated to the surrounds! Grrrr!

It varies per track, but to me it sounds more like the drums are at near equal power in all four corners. They’re certainly not completely isolated in the rears like an old Columbia quad (Birds Of Fire, Jeff Beck, etc).

I would not, I repeat, NOT avoid this release because someone said “wow, drums in the speaker channels I don’t want drums in” or “Jimi’s vocals are in channels I don’t want them in”.

It’s a whole being greater than the sum of its parts thing. There are a lot of choices that, on paper, I’d be all “eehhhh” about, but as a whole, it all works.

It’s a melange of mixing choices, and it fits the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Give it a chance. It also doesn’t cost moon money.

This is a great review. "Not flashy" is actually what I meant when I said "conservative". You summed up my thoughts much better than I did.

I don't usually do this, but on a re-listen, I am upping my vote from an 8 to a 10. Understand that an 8 from me is usually a 10 from Snood.

Why?

Well..I listened once again to Voodoo Child (Slight Return) at the proper volume. I may have seen into other dimensions just now. I have to act. The multiverse demands it. Somewhere, in a parallel universe that rains donuts every morning at ten A.M., a little girl's life will be saved.

You're welcome, Breakfast Princess.

It varies per track, but to me it sounds more like the drums are at near equal power in all four corners. They’re certainly not completely isolated in the rears like an old Columbia quad (Birds Of Fire, Jeff Beck, etc).

I just listened to Electric Ladyland again. The drums are mixed very low in the front channels. I could detect the drums approximately 2 to 4 feet away from the front speakers depending on the track. My normal listening position is approximately 17 feet from the front speakers (I have a dedicated listening room that is quite large at 25 feet long and 15 feet wide).

The drums are prominently mixed in the rear channels. What is quite noticeable is a pleasant reverb from the drums as it drifts effectively all the way forward even as I stand behind the front speakers.

The bass is mixed that approximates equally in the four corners.

By the way, I am not a fan of mixing drums in rear channels throughout an album. However, I do not let my preferences impact my listening experience. If these mixing decisions work, this should be all that is important , at least , to me. Thus, I feel Eddie Kramer made excellent mixing decisions that I am thoroughly enjoying.

So I ended up going with an 8, which I think is a really good score- though I'd go to 8.5 if I could. It's certainly not a release to be missed by any surround fan.

The surround mix is, for the most part, very enjoyable. Some songs delivered everything I was hoping for, others left me wanting a bit more. As previously covered by myself and others, it's rather unorthodox: it seems to me like it's intended to be a sort of homage to the way the stereo mix sounds on headphones. It makes more use of the phantom spaces between the channels rather than emphasizing the four quadrants or distinct front and back soundstages. That being said, there are also some great discrete moments, and of course some amazing panning effects.

Two tracks I was really looking forward to ("Crosstown Traffic" and "Gypsy Eyes") seemed really off-balance to me at first. "Crosstown Traffic" seemed like it leaned more to the left side of my room, and "Gypsy Eyes" seemed like it leaned more to the right. I did try swapping channels around and adjusting the balance: some aspects of the mix were improved, others weren't. So I revisited the stereo mix, and sure enough the balance was pretty much the same. The drums on "Crosstown Traffic" are mostly panned left and the lead guitar riff in "Gypsy Eyes" is on the right. The surround approach definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but it is well done and very true to the original stereo mix.

Some other notes on the mix:
  • I was really looking forward to "1983" and it's easily the best-mixed track: you'll definitely hear some stuff in that one you've never heard before. That being said, one thing that sort of irks me about it is that the delays/phasing effects on Jimi's voice in the third verse seem really diminished and less prominent compared to the old stereo mix ("...beyond the will of god", "...that's what they say", etc).
  • The center channel has some really cool isolated vocals and guitar bits, but it blends in with the overall presentation rather than standing out.
  • It's a "vocals-in-all-channels" mix, except for two tracks: "Little Miss Strange" (which does not feature JH on vocals) and "All Along The Watchtower" (more on that below).
  • The backing vocals on "Have You Ever Been..." and "House Burning Down" are loud and clear in the rears only (y)
  • "All Along The Watchtower"- hate to say it, but I'm kinda disappointed with it. The fidelity is noticeably worse than the other tracks IMO, and the surround element is minimal aside from the panning guitar. It almost sounds like some kind of fancy "manipulation" or upmix, as the rears are basically just the fronts with suppressed drums and vocals. Also, it's the only track that doesn't have any center activity. What a shame this was recorded to four-tracks, rather than 12 like the rest of the album (minus "Crosstown Traffic).
The fidelity is amazing (except for "Watchtower" as noted above), and the package is excellent. The design of the book reminds me a lot of the Clapton Give Me Strength set. It's affordable, there's no vinyl or useless trinkets, it's on Blu-Ray, and I really appreciated the bit about doing the 5.1 mix in the book. I wish this was the model for all box sets!

"1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)":

"House Burning Down" (this track has become one of my favorites, thanks to the awesome surround treatment):

I'd love to see more 5.1 mixes from Eddie Kramer in the future. I assume Are You Experienced and Axis are off the table due to the new SACD releases? Just imagine if they let him loose on any of the Zeppelin stuff he worked on...of course Jimmy Page would probably never let that happen, but still it's fun to dream :)

Last edited:
Voting a 8.

With 40% of your vote going toward content and overall package it's hard to ignore the crappy two channel content of this release.

10 for the surround mix and it's audio fidelity.
-2 for content and overall package.

30% SURROUND MIX
30% AUDIO FIDELITY
30% CONTENT

10% OVERALL PACKAGE

Back