HiRez Poll Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - ELECTRIC LADYLAND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Jimi Hendrix Experience - ELECTRIC LADYLAND

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the classic Jimi Hendrix Experience album "Electric Ladyland".
This 50th anniversary edition contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album from Jimi's longtime engineer Eddie Kramer. The Blu-Ray also features a full-length documentary on the making of the album, and the box set also contains CDs featuring alternate studio takes and live material from 1968.

(y):)(n)

71Rrar3OFsL._SL1200_.jpg

71PVEeBzPjL._SL1200_.jpg

71CkGh-Px9L._SL1500_.jpg

Gave this a quick listen this AM. Will have to dig in a bit more before voting but so far, I like what I’ve heard. A few things that give me pause are elements which are just the nature of the original recording. A little bit of phase shifting goes a long way and this recording has a lot! When the effect is on the vocals, drums and guitar at the same time it can get a bit muddy. The other thing is the presentation of the drums in the mix. You are placed dead center in Mitch Mitchell’s drum kit - he is a very busy drummer which sometimes I like and sometimes not so much. A lot of cymbal work and when the phasing kicks in it occupies a frequency which competes and sometimes overwhelms other instruments. There is some very effective use of the surround element and most of the time it’s very cool! This is definitely going to be a surround mix to crawl deep inside [emoji106]

Gave this a quick listen this AM. Will have to dig in a bit more before voting but so far, I like what I’ve heard. A few things that give me pause are elements which are just the nature of the original recording. A little bit of phase shifting goes a long way and this recording has a lot! When the effect is on the vocals, drums and guitar at the same time it can get a bit muddy. The other thing is the presentation of the drums in the mix. You are placed dead center in Mitch Mitchell’s drum kit - he is a very busy drummer which sometimes I like and sometimes not so much. A lot of cymbal work and when the phasing kicks in it occupies a frequency which competes and sometimes overwhelms other instruments. There is some very effective use of the surround element and most of the time it’s very cool! This is definitely going to be a surround mix to crawl deep inside [emoji106]

Dead center of Mitch? Meaning Eddie has put Tom rolls in the rears like Steven Wilson sometimes does? Or like the drum solo on zappas Live DVD A.?

I saw Jimi Hendrix a few times at the Fillmore East I have never seen anyone play guitar like him. Hearing him play red house took the blues to a whole new level for me. Listening to his albums and CD's were a different experience than live but it was Hendrix and wished he was recorded better.
Well I got my wish today Jimi Hendrix the way it should of been. I was firmly planted in my chair and away I went into space and was taken under the sea with Jimi as the pilot. Thank you Eddie you did Jimi good. 10. Now I am going to sit down and calm myself down lol

I likewise voted a 10. I think Eddie Kramer really nailed it. Sounds pretty spectacular on my system. I've still avoided playing the Stereo 'hi res' remaster and IMO, why bother? The price was right and finally, a definitive version of Electric Ladyland. Beautiful packaging, as well.

BTW, AP's Stereo SACD remaster of Are You Experienced is due at the end of this month. Wonder if multitracks exist for Axis: Bold As Love and Are You Experienced?

First Off - Holy Phucking Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! :eek:

Went into this one after reading everyone's reviews before, thinking hmmmmm can it really be that good? Yeah Right - Eddie Kramer - has he ever done a surround mix??

Put on me green wavy lighting to match the TV screen. Turned off the other lights and turned it up loud. Then went WTF!!!??? Chin drop :eek::rocks:QQlove:rocks

And yes, Snood pants involuntarily flew off Snood body :hi

Like in Snood's other post me mentioned that at the end of the album me broke out in applause hand clapping to nobody and Snood never dooooo that. :unsure: Was like did that just happen out of the blue? An awesome classic album from 1968 done up absolutely brilliantly in 5.1? How can this be when it seems so many classic albums are half assed by people that consider themselves surround pros? :unsure:

Absolutely stunning effort.

Have not had a chance to listen to White Album to much going on.......but Electric Ladyland is a 10 :rocks :LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:rocks

3 Awesome releases in a row - Lennon, Beatles & Jimi - hmmmm Rush Hemispheres next week - remember those people me mentioned? Please Hemi don't be one of those pleaaaaaaaaaaase :rolleyes:

I gave it a nine. It's a really good, if slightly conservative mix and the fidelity is excellent. I only heard one thing that bothered me, but it was on my second favorite track and it was distracting enough for me that it hurt my enjoyment of the album. I don't understand the treatment they gave the snare in All Along the Watchtower. It sounds very, for lack of a better word, fake. It's the one spot where I am hearing technology rather than music. FWIW, I think a nine is a very high score. I try to reserve 10's for releases I personally find to be perfect, so don't jump on me for pulling down the aggregate, please.

I gave it a nine. It's a really good, if slightly conservative mix and the fidelity is excellent. I only heard one thing that bothered me, but it was on my second favorite track and it was distracting enough for me that it hurt my enjoyment of the album. I don't understand the treatment they gave the snare in All Along the Watchtower. It sounds very, for lack of a better word, fake. It's the one spot where I am hearing technology rather than music. FWIW, I think a nine is a very high score. I try to reserve 10's for releases I personally find to be perfect, so don't jump on me for pulling down the aggregate, please.

Thought the snare drummer boy in front of army kind of thing was kind of koo if u take it in that context. Perhaps Eddie has some inside knowledge of what Jim was going for in the song and brought it out. Just a thought. Nah Marky no flaming for opinions here....a 9 is high praise tooooo:rocks

First vote. First post. I've been accumulating some great surround music over the past 5 years and dreamed of the day a Hendrix album would come out. This mix exceeded my expectations. Great album - content 10, mix 10 , fidelity 10.

My expectations were not great after buying the EL remaster CD several years ago. And I understand the stereo in this set is also brickwalled. But the surround mix sounds great, especially really LOUD!

I think the surround family is getting overwhelmed by our cups runneth-ing over with 3 surround gems on one day, so we're being overly gracious with our votes.

I'm not intimately familiar with this album, but I love a few of the tracks. "Crosstown Traffic" is fun, and the clarity is stunning. "Watchtower" in 5.1 made me realize that when our cover band used to play it, I made the verses too straight (I played drums on it, not that I could ever match Mitch Mitchell, obviously) where Mitch added little funky fills and switched up the beat some. Never heard that on the original stereo.

Just had my first listen and I'm thrilled with what Eddie Kramer did with this 50 year old recording. The mix is fine, and the fidelity is better sounding than my 180 gram vinyl pressing. Still - I can't give it a ten at this point, not if I compare it to some of my favorite 5.1 recordings. I'm waiting to vote until I listen to it one more time. Since it is a double album it takes some time to do it. At $40.4 dollars delivered I must say this was a great value!

Well said both.

This album just keeps on giving every time I play it...which is every day.
I cannot remember another album where I have been so captivated by its pure brilliance.
The surround treatment is magical and if you didn't know its history, you could easily think its a new release.
I am more than happy to have this sitting on top of my favourite surround releases.
I could go on and on but to save me boring everyone: This Is Just the Dogs Bollox (imo)

Last edited:
I voted 10. I turned off all media and just sat and listened, mostly staring at the screen, kept looking at the girl lower left with sun glasses on but also was looking at everyone, also looking at the slides that popped up. I would close my eyes occasionally and just breathe and listen. True heaven for me that this iconic album of my youth now had new life. I am happy to say I listened to Hendrix when he was alive. I know this disc intimately and I am able to know what's coming up split seconds before it comes up. The new mix creates an entirely different way of listening, I was able to hear little buried things that where now open, I was able to hear the same things but now spreading across multiple speakers. This new release should be up for surround grammy. There where a few moments where the fidelity wasn't quite good in the midrange and strained a little to high, harsh, but they where brief.
I did not do a critical listen with pen and paper as so many others are doing that on social media.
Is it good enough to take the top spot over DSOTM? Some tracks by a mile, some tracks not.
I absolutely loved this new surround release.

I voted 10. I turned off all media and just sat and listened, mostly staring at the screen, kept looking at the girl lower left with sun glasses on but also was looking at everyone, also looking at the slides that popped up. I would close my eyes occasionally and just breathe and listen. True heaven for me that this iconic album of my youth now had new life. I am happy to say I listened to Hendrix when he was alive. I know this disc intimately and I am able to know what's coming up split seconds before it comes up. The new mix creates an entirely different way of listening, I was able to hear little buried things that where now open, I was able to hear the same things but now spreading across multiple speakers. This new release should be up for surround grammy. There where a few moments where the fidelity wasn't quite good in the midrange and strained a little to high, harsh, but they where brief.
I did not do a critical listen with pen and paper as so many others are doing that on social media.
Is it good enough to take the top spot over DSOTM? Some tracks by a mile, some tracks not.
I absolutely loved this new surround release.

I'm with you all the way. I too was listening to Jimi in my youth. Firstly with Voodoo Chile then my own favourites Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower. Would they release another of my personal favourite albums..The Cry Of Love... In surround?

Yes get the votes in now for a surround grammy award.

I wasn't going to bang on about how much I like this release...so soz if I'm going on a bit.
I just get all goose pimpled every time I play it.:love:

Back