Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scjorne,
I looked into this further- I really do think this is a great mix, but this track as it is off the disc still bugs me. It sounds so much more logical to me with the diagonal swap.

I think you might be onto something with this track, but try a 90 degree rotation of the 4 corners to the right and see what you think (it sounds pretty balanced to me... no need to boost the center). Like this:
Capture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

I think you might be onto something with this track, but try a 90 degree rotation of the 4 corners to the right and see what you think (it sounds pretty balanced to me... no need to boost the center). Like this:

Sounds good! Thanks for checking this out. I also thought about kicking rear left (which is now front left on your version) down a decibel so the fronts are closer in volume, but that probably wouldn't make any audible difference.

I'd love to see a breakdown of what the original four tracks were for this...my best guess right now is:
1. Drums
2. Guitar
3. Vocal/Kazoo (apparently Jimi played a makeshift Kazoo in unison with the guitar riff to create that sound)
4. Backing Vocals (Dave Mason & Noel Redding)

I actually just found this video with Kramer where he gives you a hint at the raw multis!

Scjorne,

View attachment 36524
View attachment 36525

Honestly, I keep messing with this song, and no matter how you mix up the tracks it sounds psychedellic and rocks, lol! My favorite version so far is just raising the RF and RR of Eddie's mix 2dB (without the rotation or switching of channels)... we may want the mix to make sense, but Jimi and Eddie don't want it too :p

I was really really hoping this mix would be just happiness and light. Eddie Kramer would turn in an amazing mix free of the just frankly bad mastering that literally every single digital Hendrix release so far has been mutilated from to begin with and just an amazing surround mix that would make Jimi proud.
And the stars aligned and it happened! :) It really happened.

This is just the best thing to have happened since... the last time I said something like that!

Some of you are unhappy with this?! This makes up for the Moodie Blues upmix faux pas, the shrill unlistenable Beatles destructions, and the ending of the SW Rush remixes after only the first one all at the same time. It really truly does. Swapping around channels?! What in the living blue fuck... You should be studying this man's work!

This will sit right alongside the stereo mix. Can't very well replace the original mix that Jimi was involved in! But this sits right alongside it.

I was really really hoping this mix would be just happiness and light. Eddie Kramer would turn in an amazing mix free of the just frankly bad mastering that literally every single digital Hendrix release so far has been mutilated from to begin with and just an amazing surround mix that would make Jimi proud.
And the stars aligned and it happened! :) It really happened.

This is just the best thing to have happened since... the last time I said something like that!

Some of you are unhappy with this?! This makes up for the Moodie Blues upmix faux pas, the shrill unlistenable Beatles destructions, and the ending of the SW Rush remixes after only the first one all at the same time. It really truly does. Swapping around channels?! What in the living blue fuck... You should be studying this man's work!

This will sit right alongside the stereo mix. Can't very well replace the original mix that Jimi was involved in! But this sits right alongside it.

Whew - Ya Scared Snood for a sec Jim :eek: Me thought you were gonna rip into it. Snood just got done listening to this bout an hour ago and might be the one if not the only time Snood actually clapped to nobody after the last song. Was that happy with it. Then went back and played a few songs a couple more times. Neighbors hating Snood right about now.

If it sounded that good on my piece of shit old system with sheeeeeeeeety speakers.......man oh man you guys have to be shitting your pants with nice systems :giggle:

It late now so will say more tomorrow - still watching Infinity Wars :hi

Whew - Ya Scared Snood for a sec Jim :eek: Me thought you were gonna rip into it. Snood just got done listening to this bout an hour ago and might be the one if not the only time Snood actually clapped to nobody after the last song. Was that happy with it. Then went back and played a few songs a couple more times. Neighbors hating Snood right about now.

If it sounded that good on my piece of shit old system with sheeeeeeeeety speakers.......man oh man you guys have to be shitting your pants with nice systems :giggle:

It late now so will say more tomorrow - still watching Infinity Wars :hi
Snood that post was fricking hilarious! I'm waiting on mine to show up on Tuesday. And... I'm very excited after reading all the reviews and going from high (initial notification) to low (SHF review) to high again!

Jim, just to be clear I've only listened to one track so far, "Crosstown Traffic", and that was to support sjcorne and investigate his opinion that something sounded funny about that track... and I agree that the track sounds kind of "left side" heavy, but I also agree that the mix and fidelity sound fantastic (and I think sjcorne feels this way too)... it really doesn't need any fixing, but for some of us it's fun to investigate possible errors or look for ways that the sound might be improved (you know how that is, lol)... just some late night experiments with Audacity ;)

I suggest you go to your nearest pub, and buy a pint with your winnings...

Splendid idea.

Perhaps after I've watched the footy match between the two Manchester teams.

And played some more of this fantastic gem.

Although my Sunday evenings are normally spent watching American Football.
First game : New Orleans at Cincinnati

Last edited:
I have been a fan of Jimi longer than I care to remember. I never felt they captured him well on Albums and CDs felt to me there was not enough bottom so to my ears his recorded music sounded tinny compared to what he was like in person until now. I just sat through a sonic revelation and have found religion. I am here to tell you brothers and sisters I am thoroughly convinced that Jimi Hendrix was on the moon before the first astronauts. I do not know where to begin except to say my senses were bombarded and I loved every moment of it. 1983 omigod I could not move.

Splendid idea.

Perhaps after I've watched the footy match between the two Manchester teams.

And played some more of this fantastic gem.

Although my Sunday evenings are normally spent watching American Football.
First game : New Orleans at Cincinnati

That Cincy New orleans game suuuuuuuuuuucked :p

Last edited:
That Cincy New orleans game suuuuuuuuuuucked :p

Not for me it didn't!
Anyway, I've been so enamored with the White Album that I have only played "Electric Ladyland" once.
I think I will have to play it again tomorrow or Tuesday before voting.
It's just so hard because this album is not quite up my alley content-wise the way the White Album is so it will be tougher to vote for this one.
Right now, I'm thinking at least a '9'. Just not sure yet if I'm gonna go for a full '10' on this one.

:)

First Off - Holy Phucking Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! :eek:

Went into this one after reading everyone's reviews before, thinking hmmmmm can it really be that good? Yeah Right - Eddie Kramer - has he ever done a surround mix??

Put on me green wavy lighting to match the TV screen. Turned off the other lights and turned it up loud. Then went WTF!!!??? Chin drop :eek::rocks:QQlove:rocks

And yes, Snood pants involuntarily flew off Snood body :hi

Like in Snood's other post me mentioned that at the end of the album me broke out in applause hand clapping to nobody and Snood never dooooo that. :unsure: Was like did that just happen out of the blue? An awesome classic album from 1968 done up absolutely brilliantly in 5.1? How can this be when it seems so many classic albums are half assed by people that consider themselves surround pros? :unsure:

Absolutely stunning effort.

Have not had a chance to listen to White Album to much going on.......but Electric Ladyland is a 10 :rocks:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:rocks

3 Awesome releases in a row - Lennon, Beatles & Jimi - hmmmm Rush Hemispheres next week - remember those people me mentioned? Please Hemi don't be one of those pleaaaaaaaaaaase :rolleyes:
Not really sure what you're all about but have to tell you you're are one cool dude your posts make me smile. Thanks

Not really sure what you're all about but have to tell you you're are one cool dude your posts make me smile. Thanks

Snood is the real dude....he reaches the parts where us mere mortals fear to tread.:SB:SB:SB:SB

I still cant really believe I've heard this iconic album in surround...fantastic!!

Can I vote again please?

Last edited:
Back