Music DVD Poll Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock, Double Disc Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock"

• Total voters
wow- nobody has this??? Incredible show- PQ and AQ both high quality, esp. given its age. Maybe people that have this just haven't rated it, but if you don't have it and you're a fan of rock, this is highly recommended.

I have it but its been a long time since i listened or watched it. kind of liked the Black and white alternative view of the show.
Not the best live performance he ever did though.

An 8. Jimi was head and shoulders THE best rock guitarist. I've owned 2 CD's of the Hendrix set, 5 CD Woodstock compilations (four of those are boxes), LP compilation, DVD box, and the Blu-Ray box. It is one of the better performances at Woodstock. I feel that Santana's & Sly's performances were the best. Like much of Jimi's work, this meanders. My Hendrix collection numbers into the hundreds. Although this is something everyone should own, there is much better Hendrix out there.

Not the best live performance he ever did though.

An 8. Jimi was head and shoulders THE best rock guitarist. I've owned 2 CD's of the Hendrix set, 5 CD Woodstock compilations (four of those are boxes), LP compilation, DVD box, and the Blu-Ray box. It is one of the better performances at Woodstock. I feel that Santana's & Sly's performances were the best. Like much of Jimi's work, this meanders. My Hendrix collection numbers into the hundreds. Although this is something everyone should own, there is much better Hendrix out there.

Our thoughts were he was up tripping for a couple days before going on, and either still high or very tired.

The Monterrey pop dvd is the best JH I have- what do you guys think his best performance on dvd is? And a br box? Hadn't seen that, will def look into it- what are your thoughts on that?

btw, he was supposedly tripping his brains out at monterrey (as was most everybody there, artists and crowd both), but still kicked ass. Speaking of monterrey, just saw a who documentary where they talked about how worried they were that JH was going to steal their thunder by stealing their guitar-smashing act. Luckily, they played first, but of course jimi still smashed his and added the bit about setting it on fire.

Jimi's Monterey performance was stellar, as was Joplin/Big Brother's. Either of those would be a 10. They built their careers on that gig. I have the Monterey box on Blu-Ray, DVD, 2 CD's of Hendrix, a 4CD box Rhino R 70596, and several other CD's. I believe that Monterey was the best rock festival EVER. Woodstock would come in second. If you don't own the box, or at least the Hendrix, you are missing something spectacular. A couple of my favorites, Moby Grape and Laura Nyro gave mediocre performances. Great performance by Simon & Garfunkel, the Who, Mamas & Papas and Canned Heat are also not to be missed. The Blu-Ray Monterey Pop adds two hours of video to the original 79 minute movie.

Likewise, there is much material from Woodstock beyond the original 5 LP's (3 & 2) and movie. The Band, Creedence, Johnny Winter and Joplin are just a few that are on the 25th anniversary CD box Atlantic 82636-2. The Blu-Ray also includes a slew of things not in the movie. There are additional performances by those who made the cut on the original. A must-have CD is the single disc Woodstock Diary, which presents Sly doing a killer Love City, along with selected previously released tracks. There is an unofficial 4 CD box with many unreleased performances, including Blood, Sweat & Tears, among other.

A 10-CD Woodstock Experience box on Columbia features the complete sets of Santana, Joplin, Sly, Jefferson Airplane and Johnny Winter. The other 5 CD's are the then current albums by those artists. 2 CD sets of each artist are available individually.

If you dig late 60's rock at all, you need to drop a few hundred to acquire all this stuff. Sure, there are some less than stellar moments. Most of what was presented at Monterey and Woodstock were artists at their prime. Some blew it by being high. Others shone in spite of it. Isle of Wight is another festival well worth exploring. Who, Miles, Doors, Moodies, ELP...

Perhaps the record/movie companies might see fit to release deluxe boxes with all the video/audio in their vaults for each festival. That would be something. I'll be the first in line.

Santana admits to being on acid on stage at Woodstock. He gave a stellar performance. Go figure.

Our thoughts were he was up tripping for a couple days before going on, and either still high or very tired.

Well, tripping and playing great shows wasn't too uncommon in those days. Can't imagine how they kept their focus... Hell, the dead made a living at it.

The GD drug of choice wasn't acid or halluc. it always was Heroin. them, Neil Young , pretty sure Tom Petty-all needle users
but all the rest of course our age group experimented with LSD/Mesq./ Shrooms, Carlos Santanna said he was peaking on mesq. when on stage at woodstock. these guys deserve credit for making it through that and so well. I know from experience how hard it is to keep your concentration on one thing while feeling that way.

Don't know where you got this info, but from my experience and from everything I've read, lsd was the GD's drug of choice. They got their start playing at Ken Kesey's acid tests. I've heard multiple people from the fringe of the band saying you could never eat or drink anything around them, for fear that it had been dosed. Bill Graham once said this, but told a story of a time when he drank a soda backstage before a GD show, thinking it was OK because it was unopened- but they had used a syringe and injected the soda w/ a dose. He was starting to trip his brains out when the band took the stage- one of them handed him a baton and he spent the evening conducting the dead while flying high. Said it was one of the greatest nights of his life.

Jerry hit the needle for a while in the later days, during his slow slide downwards. He ended up in rehab, of course. He had the rest of the band telling him he had a drug problem- imagine how bad he was if the dead was telling him that! It was a well-spread rumor that you could tell who in the band was tripping at each show, because they wore a tie-dye shirt, except Jerry, who always stuck w/ basic black.

I can't imagine that they would have lasted as long as they did, nor been able to play the way they did if they were junkies. While it's hard for me to imagine playing while tripping (though they had planty of practice, obviously), I can't imagine playing while nodding out- esp. those legendary 4,5,6 hour or more shows they regularly did in the early days. Of course, it's well-known that NY was a junkie- needle and the damage done is the ultimate song about H addiction- but he got clean pretty early on in his career.

The dead even had their own chemist- Stanley "Bear" Owlsley, famous for the cleanliness of his product and the major player on the west coast. Pretty sure he was the subject of the Dan's Kid Charlemagne. It was always a big deal at a GD show if you could score some "family" acid- meaning it was what the GD family (the deadheads connected w/ the band) had- which came from Bear.

I believe you're mistaken on this one.

I live in the Eugene area and Ken Kesey was a neighbor for a while. You have got it right.

Don't know where you got this info, but from my experience and from everything I've read, lsd was the GD's drug of choice. They got their start playing at Ken Kesey's acid tests. I've heard multiple people from the fringe of the band saying you could never eat or drink anything around them, for fear that it had been dosed. Bill Graham once said this, but told a story of a time when he drank a soda backstage before a GD show, thinking it was OK because it was unopened- but they had used a syringe and injected the soda w/ a dose. He was starting to trip his brains out when the band took the stage- one of them handed him a baton and he spent the evening conducting the dead while flying high. Said it was one of the greatest nights of his life.

Jerry hit the needle for a while in the later days, during his slow slide downwards. He ended up in rehab, of course. He had the rest of the band telling him he had a drug problem- imagine how bad he was if the dead was telling him that! It was a well-spread rumor that you could tell who in the band was tripping at each show, because they wore a tie-dye shirt, except Jerry, who always stuck w/ basic black.

I can't imagine that they would have lasted as long as they did, nor been able to play the way they did if they were junkies. While it's hard for me to imagine playing while tripping (though they had planty of practice, obviously), I can't imagine playing while nodding out- esp. those legendary 4,5,6 hour or more shows they regularly did in the early days. Of course, it's well-known that NY was a junkie- needle and the damage done is the ultimate song about H addiction- but he got clean pretty early on in his career.

The dead even had their own chemist- Stanley "Bear" Owlsley, famous for the cleanliness of his product and the major player on the west coast. Pretty sure he was the subject of the Dan's Kid Charlemagne. It was always a big deal at a GD show if you could score some "family" acid- meaning it was what the GD family (the deadheads connected w/ the band) had- which came from Bear.

I believe you're mistaken on this one.

I live in the Eugene area and Ken Kesey was a neighbor for a while. You have got it right.

Cool! Did you get to know him at all? From what I read, obviously a character. Found it real interesting that he tried to transcend and create the psychedelic experience naturally, which of course would never work (since the psychedelic experience is an unnatural short-cut to what takes years of discipline and meditation to achieve- imho of course).

CD's of Electric Kool Aid Acid Test concerts by the Dead were available about 15 years ago. What would the Dead have sounded like, had they not known Kesey?

But they weren't really concerts, were they? They were semi-controlled psychedelic experiences where there was no differentiation between artist/ performer; everyone just did their own thing and the Dead's thing was experimenting with sound. I don't even think they were the Dead yet- weren't they still the Warlocks at this point?

All conjecture of course, but I don't think the Dead's sound would have been that different w/o the acid tests. They certainly did lots of acid before and after those days. We might never have gotten Anthem of the Sun, but the Dead were always rooted in the folk music of Americana, just played in an improvisational way where they let the music (and the trips) lead them wherever it went. Now if you're saying the improvisational part might not have been except for the experiences they had in the tests, perhaps, but Jerry was always about taking the old and making it new again. And Phil was very experimental in Music school before the tests. I think the Dead were destined to become the Dead, more or less, but looked at the other way, would the acid tests have amounted to much w/o the Dead?

So, do you own/ have you heard any of those acid test cd's? I would think that they would be pretty unmusical, removed from the context. From what I've read, it was all about how everything fit together- the lights/ projections, the sounds, the naked bodies, the vibes, the other creations going on, etc. I would definitely think you had to be there to get anything out of the "music."

I consider any live performance a concert, but you are correct in the truest sense of the word, Prog Rules. They weren't billed as the Warlocks on the CD's, but I'll bet they were still called that at that point. Oh, to have been part of that lunacy!! I did experience my own Lysurgic lunacy at one point. The jams are pretty loose. Still, as a huge Dead fan, the recordings are great fun and of hysterical, er historical significance. Flying over the Cuckoos nest, indeed!

I consider any live performance a concert, but you are correct in the truest sense of the word, Prog Rules. They weren't billed as the Warlocks on the CD's, but I'll bet they were still called that at that point. Oh, to have been part of that lunacy!! I did experience my own Lysurgic lunacy at one point. The jams are pretty loose. Still, as a huge Dead fan, the recordings are great fun and of hysterical, er historical significance. LOL Flying over the Cuckoos nest, indeed!

Ah- and I thought you said your only drug was the phono cartridge needle! Good to know you were a dabbler at one time yourself, like some (most?) of us here. Yes Allan- I'm looking at you!

I wouldn't mind hearing some of those tests discs- tho I doubt they command repeated listens.

Jimi was god!!!!
you heathens...how dare you rate this anything BUT a 10????

HA-RUMPH HA-RUMPH ("I didn't get a ha-rumph out of that guy....you watch your ass!")

Let's see how you would handle waiting til Monday morning (after ShaNaNa!!! :p ) all stoned and tired and play the brilliant set he did!!!!
"Villanova Junction" is just...mindblowing....he was ONE with his Strat!!!!

(end of rant!)

:smokin

Jimi was god!!!!
you heathens...how dare you rate this anything BUT a 10????

HA-RUMPH HA-RUMPH ("I didn't get a ha-rumph out of that guy....you watch your ass!")

Let's see how you would handle waiting til Monday morning (after ShaNaNa!!! :p ) all stoned and tired and play the brilliant set he did!!!!
"Villanova Junction" is just...mindblowing....he was ONE with his Strat!!!!

(end of rant!)

:smokin

Performance would be a 10- I took a point off for less than stellar sound.

(Glad to see you had a smoke and calmed down after your rant) ;)

Performance would be a 10- I took a point off for less than stellar sound.

(Glad to see you had a smoke and calmed down after your rant) ;)

My rants are never really serious.... :chill

yeah, well, AFAIK, the concept of "Condenser" mics were an unknown concept in that concert...only dynamic ones were allowed...
(what? and risk a U87-or two- for .."location" sound? anyway, those hippies will never notice the difference!!!)

You can really tell by the cymbals....

I'm a 9'er on this one.....great performance, but not his best, the discs are about the best that'll ever come out on his performance though...alternate B&W, so it is a 10 for historic entertainment.
I'd love to have all the Monterey & Woodstock goodies that you have Linda. My personal Holy Grail would be to see the 1973 Watkins Glen Summer Jam released, video and all music....legit. Three of the best groups (Allmans, Band, Dead) an unofficial 600,00 person crowd and it happened practically in my backyard....well, 20 miles away. John

P.S.- I know this isn't the market place, but if anyone has the "real" Band performance, Allmans, or the Dead's Saturday night set....PM me please.

Last edited:
Back