Jimi Hendrix - Royal Albert Hall Film

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been coming forever. There was a dodgy VHS of it in the 80s (not quite legitimate I think?) but the Hendrix establishment have been at loggerheads with Gold and Goldstein forever. Hoping that it is just the film and not the dodgy, ancient special effects that were included previously. This same dispute is why the later version of In the West has different tracks. The first version claimed the tracks were recorded in the West like the superb Red House from San Diego. Unfortunately the versions of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Little Wing (superb live version) weā€™re actually from the Royal Albert Hall

Theyā€™d better not hold this back from general home use release after waiting 50 damn years to finally issue it!

Surely this will get a blu-ray release. Why go through all that work, remix etc just to do a limited theatre release?

Iā€˜d imagine a BD release would sell very well.

This has been coming forever. There was a dodgy VHS of it in the 80s (not quite legitimate I think?) but the Hendrix establishment have been at loggerheads with Gold and Goldstein forever. Hoping that it is just the film and not the dodgy, ancient special effects that were included previously. This same dispute is why the later version of In the West has different tracks. The first version claimed the tracks were recorded in the West like the superb Red House from San Diego. Unfortunately the versions of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Little Wing (superb live version) weā€™re actually from the Royal Albert Hall

It is possible that this one-off showing is an attempt to buttress the copyright claim, which goes public domain if not released in some form. That was thought to be the reason behind the limited Pink Floyd release of 1965 recordings prior to the release of The Early Years box. To the best of my knowledge (no real insider info), the Gold and Goldstein disagreements continue. Many versions of this circulate among collectors, but none are the best quality that an official release could offer. As for surround, see Berkeley, Woodstock, and others to be pre-disappointed.

As for surround, see Berkeley, Woodstock, and others to be pre-disappointed

Iā€˜m hoping Kramer has done a great surround mix aka Electric Ladyland, but expect to be disappointed.

Regardless, Iā€™d buy just to add this to my concert collection. Berkeley can be bettered.

Iā€˜m hoping Kramer has done a great surround mix aka Electric Ladyland, but expect to be disappointed.

Regardless, Iā€™d buy just to add this to my concert collection. Berkeley can be bettered.
Oh, I will be buying this for sure - no question - but not for the surround.

There's not a real lot to work with as I imagine that they are using 8 track tape as was used later. The assignments would be something like
1) Vocal
2) Snare
3) Kick
4) Overhead
5) Guitar
6) Bass
7) Audience
8) Sync (?)
Though there have been good mixes accomplished from the above and from memory the snare is in everything but the guitar mike!

Back