Jimi plays Berkeley

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Another Hendrix release, this tape is both great and just ok. The audio track really benefits from a nice full mutlichannel mix by Eddie Kramer. Nice little touches like individual claps from the audience in the back like they were standing next to you. I like the mix very much. The video, on the other hand really suffers from age. It looks very faded and grainy (most likely because it was shot originally on 16mm). After seeing what a great restoration "The Kids Are Alright" is, this was very disappointing.

A nice bonus is the complete 2nd set show in audio only 5.1 sound. Again, a really nice mix. Ambience and real crowd in the back making for a concerthall setting that sounds very real. This portion has a menu for easy song selection.

The actual movie is only about 48 minutes so the extra concert (clocking in at about 68 minutes) make it a better bargain. I paid $14.99 for mine at Best Buy.

The playing is a little sloppy at points but, all in all, for $14.99, not too bad of an "experience" :D

Bob Romano said:
Another Hendrix release, this tape is both great and just ok. The audio track really benefits from a nice full mutlichannel mix by Eddie Kramer. Nice little touches like individual claps from the audience in the back like they were standing next to you. I like the mix very much. The video, on the other hand really suffers from age. It looks very faded and grainy (most likely because it was shot originally on 16mm). After seeing what a great restoration "The Kids Are Alright" is, this was very disappointing.

A nice bonus is the complete 2nd set show in audio only 5.1 sound. Again, a really nice mix. Ambience and real crowd in the back making for a concerthall setting that sounds very real. This portion has a menu for easy song selection.

The actual movie is only about 48 minutes so the extra concert (clocking in at about 68 minutes) make it a better bargain. I paid $14.99 for mine at Best Buy.

The playing is a little sloppy at points but, all in all, for $14.99, not too bad of an "experience" :D

Cool! Is the audio on the disc Dolby Digital or DTS? Can you "Play All" for the audio-only second show?

Heck, I'm gonna buy it anyway...! ;)

bizmopeen said:
Cool! Is the audio on the disc Dolby Digital or DTS? Can you "Play All" for the audio-only second show?

Heck, I'm gonna buy it anyway...! ;)

I am not at home right now so I am not able to check the DTS thing. The audio only plays like any cd or dvd audio disc... all play or you can choose the chapter you want to go to. It has a menu for the concert that lists all the songs with a little start that appears next to the track that is currently playing. I don't think you will be disappointed either way sound wise...

I just checked Amazon and it says nothing about DTS.

Back