Joan Baez — Blessed Are ... Anybody Have or Heard the Dolby Quad Reel?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Didn’t see a poll/review for this or any of Josn’s earlier quad releases.
Particularly interested in this double album because it contains the hit version of a classic, “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” which hit the US charts at #3 in 1971. I am hoping the giant background chorus is made dramatic in surround.

Catalog #VSS-12/13.

Is the mix any good?
Does it have the same impact as the stereo, or is something lost?
Any major differences in instrumentation, effects, or balance?
Does the reel’s sound quality measure up?
I’ve never heard a Vanguard tape release. Surprised to see it’s Dolby, which usually indicates a later-70’s release.
I never came across this tape or, for that matter, even a one of the Vanguard Q-8’s — not even for 99 cents at an 80’s Gemco.

Alternatively, you can tell me if you’ve got or heard the US or Jap CD-4 of Hits — Greatest and Others and answer the same questions, including whether the mix of that track is the same.

If reports are not too disappointing, I really look forward to the day I can hear this great track, which Rolling Stone picked as #245 in the Greatest 500 Songs of All Time, in quad. Even in stereo, Joan’s phrasing, so natural and evocative, really is a pleasure. Folk singers used to own that particular craft, honed over years of honest singing often with just a guitar accompanying.

Mix-wise, uber-discrete.
The full "Blessed are..." has 22 songs split in 3 SQ records, USA QR have 18 on 2 reels, UK Q8 has all 22 tracks.
No Japanese releases.

Hits - G&O, the mix is the same. USA version (SQ and Q8) has a different tracklist from Japanese (CD4).

Back