HiRez Poll Joel, Billy - STREETLIFE SERENADE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Joel - STREETLIFE SERENADE

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 9 -

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 8 -

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 7 -

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 6 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
An '8' for me.
A good disc, but probably my least favorite out of the Quad discs I have bought so far (BS&T, Bread, Guess Who, Doors, and this one)

-1 point for content and another -1 point for mix. Some of the Quad mixes on this disc are outstanding, while others are severely lacking, probably due to too much separation between front and back.
Fidelity is wonderful however. I'm always impressed that Audio Fidelity can make these old Quad mixes sound so good in today's day and age.

Recommended, but not unless you either really love Billy Joel, or you have already purchased the better Quad discs released thus far. :)

I am going to give a '9' as the fidelity on this is just so fantastic. I put on The Stranger and 52nd St right after listening to this and I find those mastered to bright, the mixes are good for those other two but I can't crank those without getting ear fatigue as everything is just to crispy.
There are some things lacking in this older quad but again hats off to what has been done to bring it to life, crystal clear and such a warm analogy sound to it.
I used to think something was wrong with the SACD format but these Audio Fidelity releases are changing my mind on that as so far they are all winners.
This one is going to get more plays by me than The Stranger and 52nd St. as a result of the wonderful job done.

peter

Not a big Billy Joel fan, but I think this is my favorite BJ album, with a fantastic quad mix, super. A 10.

Every time I listen to one of these AF quad SACDs, I find myself loving it! The fidelity is warm and clear. The surround mix is ultra- discrete and conservative in its activity (no swirling/panning). The songs are decent throughout the album with several tracks I instantly loved (Streetlife Serenader, Los Angelinos, Root Beer Rag, and Souvenirs). The vintage synth sounds sprinkled throughout bring a smile to my face. For anyone who's only known Billy's hits, this is a great album to check out. 8.

Every time I listen to one of these AF quad SACDs, I find myself loving it! The fidelity is warm and clear. The surround mix is ultra- discrete and conservative in its activity (no swirling/panning). The songs are decent throughout the album with several tracks I instantly loved (Streetlife Serenader, Los Angelinos, Root Beer Rag, and Souvenirs). The vintage synth sounds sprinkled throughout bring a smile to my face. For anyone who's only known Billy's hits, this is a great album to check out. 8.

I truly love the song Los Angelinos....I just think it is a bad ass song with a great rock groove. Find myself turning it up LOUD! Well, I used to...when my system was hooked up.

:violin

I went with 8. Nuttin wrong wit dis.
When it's at its best it's astounding. Just a little uneven.
Vintage synth sounds have made quite the comeback in recent years, so no worries with the moog.
It's charming and fits the songs.

IMHO AF has hit one out of the park with this release. I compared it to the SQ decode, which is no slouch. This is discreet, almost to a fault, as the SQ blends things a bit more, but also has some image stabilization issues as well. Overall the discreetness works on the best tracks, and I prefer the SACD to the SQ. The aspect I found most noteworthy is the improvement in fidelity. This has excellent analog like sound. I awarded it a 10. I like it that much.

Turnstyles would be a great release.

Being in the New York State of mind here, Hey AF, there is a trio of Columbia Paul Simon disks that were released in Quad as well. They also have excellent mixes based on the SQ decodes I have. How about looking into releasing them? I'll bet they would sell well. Anyone know if MoFi has scooped those up yet?

IMHO AF has hit one out of the park with this release. I compared it to the SQ decode, which is no slouch. This is discreet, almost to a fault, as the SQ blends things a bit more, but also has some image stabilization issues as well. Overall the discreetness works on the best tracks, and I prefer the SACD to the SQ. The aspect I found most noteworthy is the improvement in fidelity. This has excellent analog like sound. I awarded it a 10. I like it that much.

Turnstyles would be a great release.

Being in the New York State of mind here, Hey AF, there is a trio of Columbia Paul Simon disks that were released in Quad as well. They also have excellent mixes based on the SQ decodes I have. How about looking into releasing them? I'll bet they would sell well. Anyone know if MoFi has scooped those up yet?

It is my understanding that Rhymin' Simon no longer wants his music released in multichannel...I voted a 9 on this disc because it surprised me and the more I have played it the more some songs have grown on me...

Last edited:
I finally voted on this. I gave it a 10. I can't hear or think of a reason to give it less.

And by the way, this is one of those quad mixes that really needs the rear channels decreased by about 3 db. I find is common for a lot of these quad reissues, so I don't find that to be a "flaw". Turn down the rear channels and enjoy the Billy Joel bliss!

It doesn't need the rears reduced by 3dB. Are you running Audessy with dynamic EQ switched on?

That could be the problem! It does seem to accentuate the rears at certain levels (certainly the level I was listening at.) I switched all the dynamic stuff off for my AV. Can't remember the other settings off the top of my head, but it took a while to find something I was happy with.

That could be the problem! It does seem to accentuate the rears at certain levels (certainly the level I was listening at.) I switched all the dynamic stuff off for my AV. Can't remember the other settings off the top of my head, but it took a while to find something I was happy with.

I'll give that a try, but unless I'm wrong - and I certainly might be - I thought the old quad mixes were mixed with all four speakers relatively equal in volume, with the idea that you'd be in the middle of a square. I've found it necessary to reduce the rears in quite a number of quad mixes (on AF SACDs or otherwise).

Yes, indeed which is why switching dynamic EQ off can fix it. There's another thread around here somewhere that Adam (fredblue) started where this 3bB/Audessy adjustment was also mentioned.

Yes, indeed which is why switching dynamic EQ off can fix it. There's another thread around here somewhere that Adam (fredblue) started where this 3bB/Audessy adjustment was also mentioned.

Zis iss very true! :upthumb I was also finding a number of the SQ Surround Master decodes I'd done seemed a trifle overegged in the rear since my Yammy went bye-bye's... hey presto all gone since I shut off Dynamic EQ.. now I feel like a new woman since I brought new Pledge into our home! (Don't tell my husband) :D

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Great quad mix, but the rears are loud! Needed to bring them down about 3dB! A few interesting bits not really present or noticeable on the stereo mix. Really enjoyable throughout.

As BJ albums go, it's a very solid collection with no great but no lousy tracks either. But many here that have always deserved more airplay and recognition IMO. Always had a soft spot for "Roberta" though, which (in my take on it anyway) was his first attempt at a song he re-wrote a few times later on in the forms of "All For Leyna" and "Laura"

A "9" from me!

Back