HiRez Poll Joel, Billy - THE STRANGER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Joel - THE STRANGER

• Total voters
I dragged this one out the other day (along with 52nd Street) to make a disc for the car, and wow. I'd forgotten what a great mix this is. When you get the tracks on the PC, however, you see one glaring thing. The lead vocals in the center are way lower than the rest of the tracks. Once I beefed this track up by around 6 db (!!!), it sounded great!!!

I originally voted 9, probably because I was so (and still am) burned out on most of the tunes, but if you factor that out, it's a 10 all of the way!!

Quick question, I just finally got around to ordering a copy of this via HMV Japan and to my surprise, when it arrived today....the packaging says Stereo SACD only...anybody know if the one I got is actually Stereo/Multichannel (catalog number is SRGS 4564)???

Quick question, I just finally got around to ordering a copy of this via HMV Japan and to my surprise, when it arrived today....the packaging says Stereo SACD only...anybody know if the one I got is actually Stereo/Multichannel (catalog number is SRGS 4564)???

I found the japanese imports on amazon. the 52nd st says "stereo/multich", but stranger says "stereo" only. You'll have to let us know what's on it.

I found the japanese imports on amazon. the 52nd st says "stereo/multich", but stranger says "stereo" only. You'll have to let us know what's on it.

At this point, I really don't want to open the disc...I may simply return it since I really wanted the multichannel version.

As far as I know the Japanese edition of The Stranger SACD was stereo only. 52nd Street Japanese was/is available in 5.1. of the japanese SACD pressings of Billy Joel, only 52nd Street had both stereo and surround

10. Nothing beats Brender(sic) & Eddie in 5.1. This mix is great, just like 52nd St. I couldn't have done it better. The music is just OK. lol!!

I've owned this on LP, 1/2 speed CBS Mastersound LP, CD, remastered CD, 5.1 SACD, Ultra deluxe CD box, and 2CD expanded. They made me buy the last two, cause they had different exclusives at different stores.

I can't tell you more, 'cause I told you already.

Linda,
She's nobody's foole

I gave this an "8" yonks ago.. still stands.
I still prefer 52nd Street as an album (I also still prefer EJ to BJ but thats another story!) anyhoo.. this sounds lovely too and the mix is a wonderful 'all-guns blazing with vocals locked in the centre' affair (a la the Elton's) that I just love!

EJ or BJ? Why choose? I love them both and am complete on both. Even live, 'tis better to see them both, as I did a couple years back at Wrigley Field, where da Cubs play, in da great city of Chicago. No goats allowed (local joke, er, curse), nor Quid accepted as legal tenderizer.

When are you gonna come down?

I gave this an "8" yonks ago.. still stands.
I still prefer 52nd Street as an album (I also still prefer EJ to BJ but thats another story!) anyhoo.. this sounds lovely too and the mix is a wonderful 'all-guns blazing with vocals locked in the centre' affair (a la the Elton's) that I just love!

EJ or BJ? Why choose? I love them both and am complete on both. Even live, 'tis better to see them both, as I did a couple years back at Wrigley Field, where da Cubs play, in da great city of Chicago. No goats allowed (local joke, er, curse), nor Quid accepted as legal tenderizer.

When are you gonna come down?

that's a very good question..!

Mostly because I find "classic Elton" that much more varied and exciting than "classic Billy".

Those first few EJ albums are much more refined than Billy's first, building up to that lovely chameleon career (like Bowie) where suddenly Elton became a huge glam rock/pop star (like Bowie) and went off in totally new directions onto ever greater success!

Also Elton had more time to really change and develop, which makes him a more interesting artist for me, whereas Billy's rise seemed faster and less nuanced, with less of a marked departure from his first records..

but at times its a fairly close run thing, they're both amazing piano men thats for sure!

oh and they both have totally kick-ass surround sound albums out there, that is for damn sure!!

One of my newest purchases. This is very reminiscent of the EJ sacd's which is a very good thing. I have always liked the songs on this album, and hearing them in surround makes it so much better. Just like EJ, a 10 from me. If 52nd Street is better as others have stated, I am on the prowl for that now.

One of my newest purchases. This is very reminiscent of the EJ sacd's which is a very good thing. I have always liked the songs on this album, and hearing them in surround makes it so much better. Just like EJ, a 10 from me. If 52nd Street is better as others have stated, I am on the prowl for that now.

52nd Street: very much worth splurging for. That said, "The Stranger" is a gem, too.

This is my second BJ album, which I only purchased because of how good the AF "Streetlife Serenade" SACD sounded to me... Well, there are a lot of hits here and I give it top marks for musical content. However, the surround mix is a bit underwhelming... There are definite discrete elements in the surrounds, I just like my mixes a little more aggressive. I personally don't think this mix even comes close to the Elton John mixes. Finally, I find the sound quality to be really enjoyable on the softer songs, but when the songs get busier, there is an overly "bright", almost "crisp" sound to the music... And this disc is very loud compared to most of my surround discs (bordering on fatiguing). For me, I much prefer the warm dynamics of "Steetlife Serenade". Still, I'm glad to have it, but I'll be spinning Streetlife more often. 7.

Up to this date, I still don´t know why this title is not In the top 50 of the surround polls, this disc is a gem. The only complain is that there is a little hiss on some of the tracks but the surround is excellent, is one of my demo discs for people not into surround (this one, Roxy Music´s Avalon and Pink Floyd´s DSOTM).

Up to this date, I still don´t know why this title is not In the top 50 of the surround polls, this disc is a gem. The only complain is that there is a little hiss on some of the tracks but the surround is excellent, is one of my demo discs for people not into surround (this one, Roxy Music´s Avalon and Pink Floyd´s DSOTM).

Totally agree.

It was some time since I listened to this disc. I do not rank it in the top leaugue, due to the surround mix being very inconsistant from track to track. I would say that half of the tracks are top notch, the other half not so. Both of the examples you gave are definitely very consistant all through the tracks.

Just my 0.02 USD.

In retrospect, I agree with you. I would likely kick up my rating from an 8 to a 9. I probably downgraded it a bit the first time around because the surround mix on Just The Way You Are just isn't very imaginative.

Back