HiRez Poll Joel, Billy - THE STRANGER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Joel - THE STRANGER

• Total voters
In retrospect, I agree with you. I would likely kick up my rating from an 8 to a 9. I probably downgraded it a bit the first time around because the surround mix on Just The Way You Are just isn't very imaginative.

So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and kicking this one up a notch to a 9.

However, I am partial to the ultra-discrete quad presentations of Piano Man and Streetlife Serenade (will refrain from judging the Turnstiles quad until a discrete master is made available), so I'll give this a 9.

When did they release a multichannel version of Piano Man on an optical format?

My research led me to the EU version of this Columbia ‎– 491184 6
The dynamic range rating was quite high.
I know this quite well. It was one of my go to cassettes for the car. It was a little harsh on cassette. Unfortunately I find it too bright on this SACD as well.
It's great to have a M/C version of this but I don't really play it that often. Wish it had a warmer analog sound.

Attachments

• R-3191669-1490285444-2358.jpeg.jpg
    R-3191669-1490285444-2358.jpeg.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 11
I know this quite well. It was one of my go to cassettes for the car. It was a little harsh on cassette. Unfortunately I find it too bright on this SACD as well.
It's great to have a M/C version of this but I don't really play it that often. Wish it had a warmer analog sound.
+1 - I agree!

I wonder if the earlier releases are better, I can't comment on whether they are because I've got this same one. Bought it for the Mrs.

***PSA***

My current mantra, if an SACD sounds harsh:

Do you have 5 full-range speakers -OR- are you converting SACD to PCM? If you rely on bass-management, and have your player set to output SACD as DSD, you're not benefitting from bass-management (without extra special hardware).
For quite a while I was disappointed in the harshness of some SACDs, like Duke, by Genesis. I switched output to PCM and, voilà! Nice, full, pleasing sound.

Just worth checking before relegating those SACDs to the dust pile.

***PSA***

Do you have 5 full-range speakers -OR- are you converting SACD to PCM? If you rely on bass-management, and have your player set to output SACD as DSD, you're not benefitting from bass-management (without extra special hardware).
For quite a while I was disappointed in the harshness of some SACDs, like Duke, by Genesis. I switched output to PCM and, voilà! Nice, full, pleasing sound.

:QQloveUnless you have full DSD decoding (followed by Emperor Palpatine laughter) :51QQ

***PSA***

I have one Yamaha player that has a special CD mode. I play all the SACD & CD's on this one.
I've set it to PCM. My AVR is now seeing PCM 176.4khz. I will check this out. Thanks !!!

***PSA***

Interesting observation! As best I can tell my Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR decodes a DSD signal (via HDMI from my Oppo 103) to PCM internally, then applies bass management as normal. The Oppo has an option to decode DSD locally or pass it on without decoding. Try as I might, I could never hear a difference.

Try as I might, I could never hear a difference.
Same.
:QQloveUnless you have full DSD decoding...
Can you explain more? AFAIK, systems that apply processing to a DSD sourced signal, must convert it to PCM first. There are some external bass-management components out there.
What is full DSD decoding?

Same.

Can you explain more? AFAIK, systems that apply processing to a DSD sourced signal, must convert it to PCM first. There are some external bass-management components out there.
What is full DSD decoding?

My TX-RZ810 receiver has the AK4458 DAC chip which does full DSD decoding to analog output (D/A conversion by the chip). So I can send DSD over HDMI to the receiver from my Sony X800 and it will handle the native DSD without converting to PCM.

My TX-RZ810 receiver has the AK4458 DAC chip which does full DSD decoding to analog output (D/A conversion by the chip). So I can send DSD over HDMI to the receiver from my Sony X800 and it will handle the native DSD without converting to PCM.
Ah, cool! And this does other processing, such as room correction and bass-management?

Ah, cool! And this does other processing, such as room correction and bass-management?
The reciever then processes the analog signal and sends it to my speakers using the bass management, which I have set to 80hz for all 5 (7) speakers. So, all this got me looking back to the manual and doing some research as well as far as DSP modes (like Dolby, DTS, game, 7.1 channel stereo, etc) which would convert the signal or not convert if I keep it to "direct" mode. I found that there are only a few manufacturers that have receivers out there that will internally handle DSD without converting to PCM. Yamaha, Denon, Sony and Onkyo seem to be the vendors with some product (I say some product, becuse not all products from each manufacturer will natively decode). This receiver does have room correction called AccuEQ, which I actually do not use. I'm old school and I just get my speaker levels calibrated via a Radio Shack sound level meter.

The reciever then processes the analog signal and sends it to my speakers using the bass management, which I have set to 80hz for all 5 (7) speakers. So, all this got me looking back to the manual and doing some research as well as far as DSP modes (like Dolby, DTS, game, 7.1 channel stereo, etc) which would convert the signal or not convert if I keep it to "direct" mode. I found that there are only a few manufacturers that have receivers out there that will internally handle DSD without converting to PCM. Yamaha, Denon, Sony and Onkyo seem to be the vendors with some product (I say some product, becuse not all products from each manufacturer will natively decode). This receiver does have room correction called AccuEQ, which I actually do not use. I'm old school and I just get my speaker levels calibrated via a Radio Shack sound level meter.
That's awesome knowledge! I'll try to do some more digging through my Denon x6400H manual, to see what it can do with DSD. So far, no additional processing at all.
I do use room correction and bass-management (for now). As well as automatic speaker level, crossover and distance settings (through the calibration microphone procedure). But I shut off everything dynamic.
Happy New Year, my man!

That's awesome knowledge! I'll try to do some more digging through my Denon x6400H manual, to see what it can do with DSD. So far, no additional processing at all.
I do use room correction and bass-management (for now). As well as automatic speaker level, crossover and distance settings (through the calibration microphone procedure). But I shut off everything dynamic.
Happy New Year, my man!

:rocks
Definitely research your Denon's DAC, a quick check of the Denon website indicates native DSD, and I was able to find which chipset and it appears to be the same as the one I have in the Onkyo - AK4458. You can read the specs and all sorts of technical details here: https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/audio/audio-dac/ak4458vn/

I started out in the home theater hobby as turning off all the extra modes and dsp, tone controls, etc, so I'm kinda the old dog who never needs to have all the fancy "stadium, matrix, concert hall" etc DSP modes. But it is cool to have them to play with. I typically run everything in "direct" mode for music listening.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!!
:hi

Back