John Denver collection 4.0 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it. It is still sealed so I haven't heard it yet but it is real and they are rerecorded with John Denver using original instruments where possible I believe.

Last edited:
I have it. It is still sealed so I haven't heard it yet but it is real and they are rerecorded with John Denver using original instruments where possible I believe.

I have an album of John Denver re-recorded tracks. If these are the same versions of them in quad, I would buy this set in a heartbeat.

[Edit: Only $200 on amazon.com :cautious:]

I have had it for years. Very bland. Redo of all songs. Some do sound better than the originals which were late 60s and not great sonically. I have a greatest hits reel and it is ok. The thing about reels is they sample at around 500,000 times a second which blows away anything digital.

I have had it for years. Very bland. Redo of all songs. Some do sound better than the originals which were late 60s and not great sonically. I have a greatest hits reel and it is ok. The thing about reels is they sample at around 500,000 times a second which blows away anything digital.

A bit off topic..It seems that the more inconvenient the format the better it sounds...and the holy grail of inconvenient formats is the multi-channel reel.

I forgot I had this John Denver Collection 4.0 Quad SACD until Foobar randomly selected one of its .dsf tracks (the only way I can listen to my collection of 540+ SACDs and counting). I then listened to the whole SACD and found while pleasant to listen to it is lacking in the rear channels (mostly ambient). And all the channels are at DSD64 14112 kbps/44100 Hz! For what I paid for this, if you gotta have it I'd recommend you save your money and buy the stereo Laser Light CD version for much less and have your multi-channel receiver synthesize multi-channel stereo.

John Denver Collection SACD.JPG

Cheers,
Ed

Apologies....after I posted this I was wondering why all my SACDs were playing at 44100Hz. So after I changed Foobar Preferences/Tools/SACD/PCM Sample Rate from 41000 to 352800 I got the center channel to play as well as playback at 2,822,400 Hz (very interesting...). So this SACD is actualy a 5.0 channel not a 4.0 channel SACD. I wonder how these Foobar preferences got changed...maybe when I updated Foobar a couple months ago.

So the moral of this lesson, change your Foobar PCM Sample Rate to the highest. These SACD's .dsf flles (as well as my others) now play with a much more open soundfield. Ah.....

John Denver Collection SACD-3.JPG

Preferably I'd rather have Foobar send the DSD signal directly to my receivers over HDMI like my Oppos UDP-205 and BDP-103D can, and have my receivers decode DSD. But I can't figure how to configure Foobar to do that. And I can't get my Oppos to recognize playlists. So in my office I use Foobar while I'm working.

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
Preferably I'd rather have Foobar send the DSD signal directly to my receivers over HDMI like my Oppos UDP-205 and BDP-103D can, and have my receivers decode DSD. But I can't figure how to configure Foobar to do that. And I can't get my Oppos to recognize playlists. So in my office I use Foobar while I'm working.

Cheers,
Ed
I also have a 205 in my main listening room, but itā€™s at the other end of my house from my computer room with Foobar. Since the Oppo has a network menu; I need to go back in and see if thereā€™s some way (perhaps a Foobar plug-in Iā€™ve overlooked that can push music to the Oppo over the network.) I know the Oppo can see hard drives on my computer, and play from there, but still would be great to know if this is possible. My AVR is not one that can receive networked music; therefore I can use the Oppo as a transport.

Back