HiRez Poll John, Elton - ELTON JOHN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Elton John - ELTON JOHN (First US LP)

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-2061191-1261875928.jpeg.jpg

R-2061191-1457186225-1964.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another '9'....really no quibbles with the mix, only that some tracks are unforgettable, others kinda...forgettable!:D But the intelligent mixing and sonic clarity will keep these in the machine for months to come, methinks. Nice!

ED:)

This was my least fovorite of the 5 older EJ releases. Still the surround mix is a 9, but the music is about an 8. Over all i give it an 8. Quite good, just not great. :)

It would be hard to come up with a more satisfying batch of Elton John surround releases, if you ask me. Of the five recent "classic" titles, I gave one an 8, two a 9 (including this one), and two a 10. That's some pretty good shootin', Tex!

Of the four EJ's I purchcased this was my favorite by a decent margin. I only have about 49 multichannel disks, so experiance is something I do not have a lot of, but of the 49 its is one of my favorites.

Foxman said:
Of the four EJ's I purchcased this was my favorite by a decent margin. I only have about 49 multichannel disks, so experiance is something I do not have a lot of, but of the 49 its is one of my favorites.

Welcome Foxman!

Hey, that's pretty cool, your "My HiRez" link. Is that something that costs $$ or what? What's the story on that, I have never heard of a listing service. What happens if you have a ton of stuff?

Thanks for the welcome!

The listing is with Guzzlefish.com and they offer listings for music, movies & games. It's the only one I know of that you can list CD's on, although I chose to only list my Hi rez stuff since the CD's would be very time consuming. I use DVDProfiler to list my DVD's which I am not using a link for here since this a Hi Rez forum. If you sign up with Guzzle fish you will be able to simply input you scue number on the back of the case, but if you want your DVD-A's to be listed with your music you have to specifie music otherwise it will go to DVD.

This one is a 9. The disc is worth getting for the "Border Song" and "Your Song" alone. I find the sound of this one very clear and I think the bass is probably the most consistent of all 5 of the new titles. Doesn't seem to have any of the "high end" issues that some of the other ones have either. In fact if anything the sound is a bit dull. The surround mix on all of these discs are wonderful so that goes withour comment. Sure some of the songs are forgettable but as I said the disc is worth getting for just the most well known songs alone.

Excellent remasting/dsd mixing. Content is a big weaker than his later LPs of the 70s tho. Nice to hear original 'Grey Seal'. 9

I think this is the weakest of all the EJ surround titles but I still rate it an 8. The string arrangements on this disc are stellar. It's just not a strong disc overall from start to finish, but it is still a very nice listen.

This is the last of the Hybrid series I bought.

I do not like Elton's young voice, but the arrangements by Paul Buckmaster are beautiful and well recored.

I'd been put off getting the EJ discs after hearing GBYBR, and until a while ago only had GBYBR.

However after getting Madman.. and now this and Captain Fantastic I'll have to get the lot...they are waay more "listenable" than GBYBR - I had a listen to the Grey Seal on both this and GBYBR - sonically the original version is much better....

I had a listen to the Grey Seal on both this and GBYBR - sonically the original version is much better....

Hands down, "Grey Seal" is one of my all-time favorite Elton John songs, and although I like the GBYBR version, the outtake version on this self-titled disc is a pure aural treat.

OQG,
That was a fine tip and I am now a "member". Thanks! I notice some DualDiscs like NIN are also there.
Cheers!

I just noticed I hadn't voted on this one. Like so many others, I picked this up and some other EJ albums at yourmusic.com years ago. Excellent album and far and away the best version I have heard. I still pay to see Elton's concerts on DVD and Blu-ray, mostly because of his early greatness, but haven't been interested in a proper album of his released in at least couple of decades which makes it so good there were several early albums released on SACD. I consider this one of his lesser big albums but great none the less. After owning these SACDs for years, "Honky Chateau" has settled in as my favorite but I play all of them. I will give it a 9 but if I had checked my votes on the others, I might have given it an 8 to make sure it fits in with the other votes as compared to the others.

I haven't voted too much on these polls yet, but I'll give this a 10. A must have. Especially for $6.99.

There must have been a whole lot of these made up as it still has not gone OOP. But when it does, look for high prices because of the greatness of the material and artist. I highly recommend getting them all while one can, especially "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road":

http://www.sa-cd.net/search/ELTON+JOHN

According to the yourmusic.com site they ship to these locations only:

We currently ship to the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, U.S. territories and APOs/FPOs.

APO stands for Army Post Office
FPO stands for Fleet Post Office

According to the yourmusic.com site they ship to these locations only:

We currently ship to the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, U.S. territories and APOs/FPOs.

APO stands for Army Post Office
FPO stands for Fleet Post Office

Yes, as mentioned in post #14, available only in the states. But if you have a trusted QQ member you know and trust, perhaps one can do a favor and ship to friends for the cost of shipping & discs, as I've done for a few friends.

Only 8 sacd titles left, I remember when there were 3 pages of them...and i was late to the show, too. Guess I missed out on the carpenters.

Back