HiRez Poll John, Elton - ELTON JOHN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Elton John - ELTON JOHN (First US LP)

• Total voters
I haven't voted too much on these polls yet, but I'll give this a 10. A must have. Especially for $6.99.

There must have been a whole lot of these made up as it still has not gone OOP. But when it does, look for high prices because of the greatness of the material and artist. I highly recommend getting them all while one can, especially "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road":

http://www.sa-cd.net/search/ELTON+JOHN

Does anyone think the SACD (of GBYBR) sounds better or different than the DVD-Audio?

I was only familiar with "Your Song" and I must say this is one under-rated album! I really like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road but the instrumentation on this album is just amazing!!! I have the MCH SACD and the string sections sound just incredible!!! It feels like they are all in my den. If you have a decent or better system you owe it to yourself to hear this!!! It will blow you away!

9. Good songs (some are spectacular), great mix.

E%20John%20-%20ST%20SACD.jpg

eltonTroub70.jpg

This has the best mastering on any EJ 5.1 release. Silky smooth! Great job.

Growing up my copy of this LP opened with "Rock n Roll Madonna". I later discovered that I had a German import (it also omitted "I Need You To Turn To" to make room for "Madonna"). It took me years to get used to the 'correct' order. :)

Great album which showed glimpses of even greater things to follow. Special mention needs to go to Gus Dudgeon and Paul Buckmaster for their brilliant contributions. Another outstanding 5.1 mix from Greg Penny. 10

OK, I've now voted on all the available classic-era Elton SACDs. Somewhere there is a 5.1 mix of "I Feel Like a Bullet" just begging to be heard by the masses. What a shame.

Not my favourite among the EJ sacd's, but a great album anyways. But it is by far the best sounding of them, very dynamic. On my equipment the bass on this disc is almost perfect - really remarkable considering the age of the recording. And the surround mix is great. It gets a well deserved 9.

Snowed in today, I decided to use the free day to spend some quality time in my sweet spot.....

For some reason this is the Elton title that I never seem to listen to. But listening tonight I now remember what an absolute gem this is. Fidelity is amazingly good for something that's almost fifty years old. I love how young and innocent Elton sounds here. (He even has a full head of hair!) After a very uneven debut with Empty Sky, Elton & Bernie really kick the songwriting up a notch here. Lots of amazing songs here. Three undeniable classics ("Your Song", "Border Song" and "Take Me to the Pilot") and some fantastic deep cuts ("Sixty Years On", "I Need You to Turn to", "The King Must Die.") And I know I rave in every Elton poll about Paul Buckmaster's string arrangements, but man are they incredibly gorgeous here.

And the mix...... Greg Penny just gets it. I really think that if he had mixed a lot more titles by a lot more artists he would be as highly regarded here as Steven Wilson is. Fantastic use of discreet information in the rears, often using the rears to highlight the strings. This thing just sounds great. This is how all 5.1 mixes are supposed to sound. An easy 10.

Oh.....and probably my favorite Bernie lyric:

"There's a man over there,
What's his color?
I don't care.
He's my brother,
Let us live in peace.
He's my brother,
Let us live in peace."

Amen, Brother Taupin.

Snowed in today, I decided to use the free day to spend some quality time in my sweet spot.....

For some reason this is the Elton title that I never seem to listen to. But listening tonight I now remember what an absolute gem this is. Fidelity is amazingly good for something that's almost fifty years old. I love how young and innocent Elton sounds here. (He even has a full head of hair!) After a very uneven debut with Empty Sky, Elton & Bernie really kick the songwriting up a notch here. Lots of amazing songs here. Three undeniable classics ("Your Song", "Border Song" and "Take Me to the Pilot") and some fantastic deep cuts ("Sixty Years On", "I Need You to Turn to", "The King Must Die.") And I know I rave in every Elton poll about Paul Buckmaster's string arrangements, but man are they incredibly gorgeous here.

And the mix...... Greg Penny just gets it. I really think that if he had mixed a lot more titles by a lot more artists he would be as highly regarded here as Steven Wilson is. Fantastic use of discreet information in the rears, often using the rears to highlight the strings. This thing just sounds great. This is how all 5.1 mixes are supposed to sound. An easy 10.

Oh.....and probably my favorite Bernie lyric:

"There's a man over there,
What's his color?
I don't care.
He's my brother,
Let us live in peace.
He's my brother,
Let us live in peace."

Amen, Brother Taupin.

Great review!

Yep there is an innocence to this album and a big step up from Empty Sky. Credit to Gus Dudgeon for getting what to do with the artist and these songs.

I like the sweetness of “The Greatest Discovery” and I even have a soft spot for the the trying-way-to-hard “First Episode At Hienton”.

I read once in an interview with Bernie Taupin that he thought “Your Song” could only have been written by a 19-year old lad that hadn’t gotten laid yet.

I think that probably says it all.

Great review!

Yep there is an innocence to this album and a big step up from Empty Sky. Credit to Gus Dudgeon for getting what to do with the artist and these songs.

I like the sweetness of “The Greatest Discovery” and I even have a soft spot for the the trying-way-to-hard “First Episode At Hienton”.

I read once in an interview with Bernie Taupin that he thought “Your Song” could only have been written by a 19-year old lad that hadn’t gotten laid yet.

I think that probably says it all.

Funny anecdote, keywhiz. Wonder if Taupin was referring to himself [lyrics] or John [music] .... or BOTH? 'It's a little bit funny .... this feeling inside ....':eek:

At any rate, to me a perfect 10.

Elton John by name
Elton John by nature

I remember watching, a very young, Reggie Dwight performing 'Your Song' on the main music programme here in the UK, on BBC TV -Top Of The Pop's in 1970.

The song captivated the public and a Star was born.
A brilliant song sung superbly by Elton.
Here we are 50 years later, still enthralled by all that he has given to us.
A true test of his longevity, are the very high marks his releases still attract, here on QQ.
Helped by wonderful mixes
I cannot give him anything less than 10
And neither will I.

Last edited:

Love the strings in the rears on this mix. Border Song is the standout track for me.

Border Song...I don't care for that song. It's because we would play the 8-track in my friend's car and, 8-track being what it is, Border Song was repeated in order to fill the tape. Guilt by association rather than for its own merits. o_O o_O o_O

Border Song...I don't care for that song. It's because we would play the 8-track in my friend's car and, 8-track being what it is, Border Song was repeated in order to fill the tape. Guilt by association rather than for its own merits. o_O o_O o_O
Oh shit...I've got the earworm as the song's revenge already! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back