HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
I dunno. I just don't find this title offensive. At all. Probably I'm biased by the music, and the great multi-channel piece. Do I notice it being sharp? No. I don't. I have the SACD, and also the Blu.

Right now, listening to the SACD. To me it sounds amazing.

The music is timeless & the mix excellent.
The mastering & EQ are poor.
I have a stereo SHM SACD that shows how good this can sound.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/52259

I dunno. I just don't find this title offensive. At all. Probably I'm biased by the music, and the great multi-channel piece. Do I notice it being sharp? No. I don't. I have the SACD, and also the Blu.

Right now, listening to the SACD. To me it sounds amazing.

Amen, Gene. Cranked up on my Meridian DVD~A player it really sounds magnifico. Couldn't imagine NOT having it and the 5.1 mix, IMO, is superb.

A very solid "10!"

I will say, this title is not as warm as the other Elton 5.1's. But, wow.....I can't help but compare this to other artists 5.1. This one is top shelf. Compared to those.

As the Poll indicates 118 10's and 69 9's ain't too shabby and I'm sure the better your equipment and source player .... the better this puppy will sound.

To my ears, all of the Elton John 5.1’s sound a bit “mid-rangie“ hot. But they can be adequately adjusted to taste with a bit of EQ. I just wish I had FLAC files of them so I could permanently fix them to my taste in Audacity.

It depends in on whether you consider greatly reduced dynamic range to be 'poor mastering' - notwithstanding how it actually sounds to you. Demonstrably, this mix was mastered *loud* for all three formats; clearly it sounds pretty-good-to-fantastic to lots of people here (me too). I consider the loudness wars mastering regrettable; I'd like to hear what this mix sounds like without the added compression (probably we'd be able to crank it louder at home). But I still like listening to what we got.

It's still funny to see people reporting so much difference between the SACD/DVDA/BluRay....differences that (other than a fade in) don't seem to be exist in objective fact....at least on the two tracks I checked (Bennie and Grey Seal). On those, there is no significant measurable format-dependent level or EQ difference in any channel across the three formats. E.g. no increase or decrease in LFE; no increase or decrease in treble of the surrounds.

Last edited:
I'll revise my choice of words. I believe, according to the measurables that the EQ and Mastering is less than optimal.
I have the Genesis discs and understand the negative aspects of the loudness wars, as they are front and center on these discs. The mix is hot and ear fatigue sets in pretty quickly.
Despite the waveforms here, on my system, this mix is incredibly dynamic and easy on my ears and anyone I have played this for. It is so well recorded and mixed that these technical shortcomings never registered with me. It's my belief that the use of the words "poor" and "greatly reduced" are an exaggeration on the minor quibbles with this generally well regarded disc. Play it loud!

I have the sacd

Gave it an 8...its good mix but some tracks r unbalanced compared to others
Young guys love alice n candle in the wind acoustic r definetly stand out tracks

I feel like many of the other EJ s r mixed better than GBYR n have better EQ
Ex madman, tumbleweed, honky

Back