Quantcast

HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
What needs adjusting? Is it the highs above 10k? Or mid range?
Specifically, here is the EQ curve that I apply to most of the EJ SACD's:

TiltEQ -2dB.png

For my tastes, it softens some of the slight edginess that I find prevalent on these discs. On Tumbleweed Connection, I use a similar curve but with -3dB Tilt Equalization. Of course, you may prefer some other equalization or none at all.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Specifically, here is the EQ curve that I apply to most of the EJ SACD's:

View attachment 52226

For my tastes, it softens some of the slight edginess that I find prevalent on these discs. On Tumbleweed Connection, I use a similar curve but with -3dB Tilt Equalization. Of course, you may prefer some other equalization or none at all.

I dunno. The heavy loudness/ EQ that was used for GYBR is not what I hear from the other EJ 5.1s I have.... Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau, Captain Fantastic -- though I haven't measured them to check that. I wonder if GYBR got 'special treatment' mastering because it's EJ's most popular.....

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I took a quick look with Audition. I checked the front right channels of 'Ballad of a Well Known Gun', 'Honky Cat', and 'Bitter Fingers'. Turns out they are all pretty slammed , dynamics-wise...brick-ey looking.

Maybe the EQ for GBYBR is significantly different (more treble?) from the others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ? I'm not motivated enough right now to check it!

MarkyM

I suspect that what happened with GBYBR was that the Dolby wasn’t properly decoded when the multitrack 2” master tape was transferred to digital. For that reason I generally stick to the original stereo mix of this.

Matt Wilson

I have the DVD-A, and I'm giving it a 9. The mix is superb, especially for something released in 2004. Yes, it's bright, but put away those wave forms and marvel at a great album released in three formats (DVD-A, SACD, & Blu ray) where we can't even come to a consensus as to which is the best. I used to think there was too much filler on this LP when I was growing up, but it all sounds pretty good to me now. Way more consistent than I thought for a double album from a guy who cranked out multiple records a year (this wasn't even his only release in 1973). Elton rules.

par4ken

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I've had this SACD for several years, just never got around to playing it. I was a big fan of Elton but not so much of this album. I really didn't care for any of the hits. Candle In the Rain , Benny And The Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting. So somehow it got pushed to the side, forgotten. I pulled it out today and plopped it into the BDP-103. All I can say is wow! Despite the hits the album is far better than I remember, content wise and mix wise it rates with the best! The mix is very discrete all speakers pumping out different sounds simultaneously, fantastic! Have to give it a ten!

Titch

A 10 for the Blu-ray audio multichannel PCM mix. It is better than the sound quality on the SACD, which sounds harsher and has less bass than the blu-ray. Noticeable when cranked up. I would give the SACD an 8.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I never could figure out why Benny and the Jets was a hit. I have loved this since I got it on DVD-Audio and amazed at the 5.1 mix but I skip this song. IMHO the best songs from Elton & Bernie aren't on the radio.
Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding, Sweet Painted Ladies, All the Young Girls Live Alice, and Grey Seal still rock my world once in a while. And others too.

I think I got this and Quadrophenia both on double LP sets around the same time in ‘73 my the time flew by didn’t it.

William Dudman

Is it a specific UK tape release or imported from the US?

As a reel collector I'm just curious. As far as I can tell, while there definitely were reels made for the UK market, there were far fewer than in the US.
I'm sure it is a US release that had found its way to the Audiojumble Event in Tonbridge, Kent, England where I bought it.

Lord British

I never could figure out why Benny and the Jets was a hit. I have loved this since I got it on DVD-Audio and amazed at the 5.1 mix but I skip this song. IMHO the best songs from Elton & Bernie aren't on the radio.
Agreed. The fake live crowd doesn't do it any favors, either.