HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
Agreed. The fake live crowd doesn't do it any favors, either.
So are we now going to criticize the "fake live crowd" on Sgt Peppers by The Beatles? I think that misses the point of the artistic choices that were made on some pretty friggin' brilliant recordings, by some pretty prolific music legends who filled many a stadium of "real" live crowds... :unsure:

A 10 for the Blu-ray audio multichannel PCM mix. It is better than the sound quality on the SACD, which sounds harsher and has less bass than the blu-ray. Noticeable when cranked up. I would give the SACD an 8.

Top: Grey Seal, subwoofer channel , BluRay
Bottom: same, from SACD

Attachments

• greyseal.png
    greyseal.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 41
Agreed. The fake live crowd doesn't do it any favors, either.
Well, you see, Benny is hitting the stage and is known as someone who can change the weather. When that piano note halts for a second and then continues - which the arena audience is in ecstasy - it really is a good thrilling vibe. Love that fake audience, or I mean real audience flown in from another live album. I wonder which live album that used?

Well, you see, Benny is hitting the stage and is known as someone who can change the weather. When that piano note halts for a second and then continues - which the arena audience is in ecstasy - it really is a good thrilling vibe. Love that fake audience, or I mean real audience flown in from another live album. I wonder which live album that used?

"[Gus Dudgeon] mixed in sounds from a 1972 performance of [Elton] John in Royal Festival Hall. He also included a series of whistles from a live concert in Vancouver B.C., and added hand claps and various shouts.[5] " -- wikipedia

For a no fake crowd noise version check out the one with Cher which is actually pretty good.

If you watch the "Classic Albums" DVD on this album (I believe it might have been included in the deluxe SACD set, or at least part of it was), they discuss adding in the whistles and the crowd noise. In fact, as I recall, they are sitting at the console and they pot up the crowd noise as it's heard.

For me it is his greatest album. Bought the 2 lp album back in 1973 and treasured it, still have it. The DVDA sounds fantastic. A real demo disc. Just play Funeral For A Friend!

I moved house a couple of months ago and only just finished setting up my 5.1.2 system, have been working my way through all my recent purchases in surround for the first time, OMG this blu ray audio is mind-blowingly brilliant, “Candle in the wind” is so much different from the stereo version, there seems to be tons of acoustic guitars and less piano on there or maybe my ears are getting too old now lol, an easy 10 for me even though this isn’t my fave Elton album

No doubt at all about the 2014 remaster by Bob Ludwig on the blu-ray audio - his 5.1 mix is considerably superior to the 2003 Greg Penny SACD 5.1 mix. I purchased the blu-ray before the SACD and then after reading all about how different they were, I thought I'd get the SACD to test my equipment and hear for myself if there was any noticeable difference. I don't use graphs and waveforms and dynamic range print-outs to hear a difference. It's not only the mix that is better but the sound is much fuller and more dynamic on the blu-ray audio. The SACD never gets played now. And the blu-ray audio is a 10/10.

IMG_7795.jpg

No doubt at all about the 2014 remaster by Bob Ludwig on the blu-ray audio - his 5.1 mix is considerably superior to the 2003 Greg Penny SACD 5.1 mix. I purchased the blu-ray before the SACD and then after reading all about how different they were, I thought I'd get the SACD to test my equipment and hear for myself if there was any noticeable difference. I don't use graphs and waveforms and dynamic range print-outs to hear a difference. It's not only the mix that is better but the sound is much fuller and more dynamic on the blu-ray audio. The SACD never gets played now. And the blu-ray audio is a 10/10.

View attachment 78719
The mix on the Blu-ray is by Greg Penny and is the same as on the SACD and the DVD-A. Bob Ludwig did do the 2014 remaster however. The info is in the booklet included with the Blu-ray.

The mix on the Blu-ray is by Greg Penny and is the same as on the SACD and the DVD-A. Bob Ludwig did do the 2014 remaster however. The info is in the booklet included with the Blu-ray.
Yes - you are correct. On the booklet is does say "2014 remaster" by Bob Ludwig - he certainly made a lot of changes to the levels!

Yes - you are correct. On the booklet is does say "2014 remaster" by Bob Ludwig - he certainly made a lot of changes to the levels!
What "levels" are you speaking of? This was not a new remix in 5.1, so various instruments were not changed in levels. Song to song levels can appear different, and tonally there can be differences, but not in the mix.

What "levels" are you speaking of? This was not a new remix in 5.1, so various instruments were not changed in levels. Song to song levels can appear different, and tonally there can be differences, but not in the mix.
I'm assuming channel level differences? That can be done in mastering.

I'm assuming channel level differences? That can be done in mastering.
The Ludwig credit is for the *stereo remaster* of 2014, included on the BluRay

The DVDA, SACD and BluRay surround mixes 'look' virtually identical and are all derived from the 2003 mix. So unless someone points out specific measurable EQ differences (not including fadeout/in) I'm calling sighted listening BS on extravagant claims.

Back