HiRez Poll John, Elton - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of Elton John - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

• Total voters
Peachtree Road isn't bad by any means, but it just doesn't have the stellar sound or excellent material as on those classic 6. Now there are supposed to be 5.1 mixes of "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" and "Caribou" already in the can which would be very worthy additions if they ever decide to release them, as would the more modern "Songs from the West Coast" and "The Captain and the Kid". We can only hope.... some day.

There's four unreleased EJ 5.1 mixes from the 70s: "Don't Shoot Me…", "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies", and "Blue Moves".
And I'm still bitter to this day about the fact that they still continue to languish in the vaults. It could be one of the biggest crimes ever committed against surround sound!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

There's four unreleased EJ 5.1 mixes from the 70s: "Don't Shoot Me…", "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies", and "Blue Moves".
And I'm still bitter to this day about the fact that they still continue to languish in the vaults. It could be one of the biggest crimes ever committed against surround sound!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll be blunt. If Universal were to release a box set containing the Multichannel mixes that have been released with the ones that have not, I would buy it even if that meant buying some of these mixes twice. This is how serious I am committed to showing my support for such a release. Of course, that's a huge if.

I wonder if the masters are damaged or missing some parts......if so it puzzles me that Rock of The Westies was given the Gold Disc treatment and they wouldn't follow up with the surround versions..

I'll be blunt. If Universal were to release a box set containing the Multichannel mixes that have been released with the ones that have not, I would buy it even if that meant buying some of these mixes twice. This is how serious I am committed to showing my support for such a release. Of course, that's a huge if.

Me too! Then I'd just sell the ones I have. Rock of Westies would be wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the masters are damaged or missing some parts......if so it puzzles me that Rock of The Westies was given the Gold Disc treatment and they wouldn't follow up with the surround versions..

Greg Penny told me via email that all of those 5.1 mixes were completely finished and had been ready to go for years, so no issues with missing or damaged tapes AFAIK.

Rock of Westies would be wonderful.

For me, the real gold is Caribou. "The Bitch Is Back", "Dixie Lily", "I've Seen the Saucers", "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and especially "Ticking" are masterpieces. Not to mention the bonus tracks "Pinball Wizard" and "Step into Christmas" which showed up on the last re-master.

I just don't understand the logic in holding them back from release. The money to remix has already been sunk.

Of course caribou is amazing. I like Westies because I never heard it till I recently bought vinyl and I love it. Just a very solid effort.

Indeed. Easily one of my top 5 all-time EJ/BT songs.

I probably shouldn't be saying this here... but there are a dozen or so songs that when I hear them they get an emotional response from me. I even shed a tear now and then. Ticking is one of those songs.

I'm not sure why it happens. I'm not sure if its weird. and this is coming from a guy who never even cried at his own parents funerals.

..... there are a dozen or so songs that when I hear them they get an emotional response from me. I even shed a tear now and then. Ticking is one of those songs.

The song has the same effect on me. Elton was the primary inspiration for me wanting to learn piano when I was young. I learned how to play "Ticking" a long time ago but I rarely play it because it gets me so worked up.

Of course caribou is amazing. I like Westies because I never heard it till I recently bought vinyl and I love it. Just a very solid effort.

I probably shouldn't be saying this here... but there are a dozen or so songs that when I hear them they get an emotional response from me. I even shed a tear now and then. Ticking is one of those songs..

Count me as another big fan of Ticking. They recorded his voice and piano simultaneously for that track since Elton was having difficulty capturing his intentions separately. I find that remarkable given the complexity of the accompaniment. Considering his accomplishments as composer, singer and entertainer it's easy to forget that he was/is a brilliant and innovative pop pianist.

Count me as another big fan of Ticking. They recorded his voice and piano simultaneously for that track since Elton was having difficulty capturing his intentions separately. I find that remarkable given the complexity of the accompaniment. Considering his accomplishments as composer, singer and entertainer it's easy to forget that he was/is a brilliant and innovative pop pianist.

Elton is one of the greatest. I've been a huge fan since 1974 or so.

Just realized that this is a poll thread that we've been derailing a bit, LOL. :yikes

So, as I hadn't played this one in a while (and I noticed that I never voted on it) I decided to give it a spin. A beautifully discrete, immersive mix. The strings sound wonderful coming from behind. Nice use of the rears for placement of embellishments like the mandolin and steel guitar. Elton's voice sounds crystal clear coming through the center. It's a crime that not only are there four other EJ surround mixes from Mr. Penny gathering dust in a vault, but also that Mr. Penny hasn't been hired by more artists to do more 5.1 mixes. He has a sensibility similar to Elliot Scheiner and Bob Clearmountain when it comes to instrument placement.

As for the music, for me Elton was on a winning streak from 1970-1976 that rivaled Pink Floyd's from 1971-1983, The Who 1968-1973, David Bowie 1971-1980 or Stevie Wonder 1972-1976. So much A+ material in such a short span of time (10 albums - including 2 doubles - in six years.) It's mind boggling how prolific he was at the time. This album tends to get remembered for three tracks ("Tiny Dancer", "Levon" and "Madman") but most of the deep cuts ("Razor Face", "Rotten Peaches", "Holiday Inn") rival the hits. His playing is flawless and his voice is strong. The album saw the arrival of Davey Johnstone who is still with Elton to this day. Davey's musical flourishes add great texture to the songs. A pre-Yes Rick Wakeman does some nice organ work on three cuts. The real secret weapon here (as an earlier post mentioned) is Paul Buckmaster. His string arrangements were very audacious for the time and were a signature part of Elton's early work.

Elton was one of my earliest musical loves. As a kid I loved how many of his albums were elaborately packaged so I'm very happy that the SACD reproduces the original booklet.

This is an easy 10.

Now, can someone start a "Save the Blue Moves" thread???

PQ & SQ not the best but..
Ticking - Live on BBC TV UK 1974

Thank you for the link. I never saw it performed before.

In the 90's Elton was doing a lot of shows without a band, just him alone at the piano. (Or sometimes he would bring percussionist Ray Cooper with him.) In these shows he would often play a lot more deep cuts than his normal hit-centric shows that he does with the band. "Ticking" would regularly be played at these concerts. I remember one concert in Providence where he played it along with "Tonight" and "Talking Old Soldiers"; three deep cuts that are among my favorite Elton tunes. I was so happy to hear any of them, but to get all three in one show....I was completely blown away. "Ticking", of course, was very powerful.

Back