HiRez Poll John, Elton - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of Elton John - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

• Total voters
U.S. members, there are still some EJ SACD's to be had at yourmusic.com for $6.99 each and shipped!

Best part is they are the "real" copies with a UPC on them rather than just the music club code.

I've got 'em all but Peachtree Road and GP has done them all justice. I love the fact that the EJ catalog are also hybrids. Madman is beautifully done.

Dan

Having had this album years ago, I finally caved and got the sacd MC
I liked it, the title cut was always a fav. of mine, and never had a quality system
to hear it with, ( marantz stolen) and I am quite happy with the results.
If the seller hadn't lied it would be better yet.

Beautiful job by Greg Penny on this one. The band consists of top UK session musicians and singers (this is the last LP before Elton started recording exclusively with his touring band) and there's a warmth and clarity to every one of those voices and instruments. But the real star is Paul Buckmaster. His orchestrations for this album are absolutely brilliant and are still considered the benchmark in scoring for pop music. His jagged melodic string lines and extremes in dynamics were quite daring yet fit the music perfectly. I love the placement of those orchestral instruments in the rear speakers. I hear details I have never noticed before particularly with the use of winds and horns. And, of course, Elton sounds pretty damn good too! Tiny Dancer never sounded better (the choir and strings on the final chord is one of my all-time favorite surround moments) and it's a nice bonus having the extended jam on Razor Face. Too many other great moments to mention. I feel this is an essential disc for any surround enthusiast.

Yes an outstanding album and even better in surround sound. But all of EJ's sacds are outstanding.

This is such a warm sounding disc, on my way with a minor review. One question for you: my menu looks pretty "cheap" with a thread opened with the tracks, no other option to switch to stereo, no image or anything. Perhaps that is not common practice in sacd? I'm running an Oppo dv980 btw.

This is such a warm sounding disc, on my way with a minor review. One question for you: my menu looks pretty "cheap" with a thread opened with the tracks, no other option to switch to stereo, no image or anything. Perhaps that is not common practice in sacd? I'm running an Oppo dv980 btw.

I think that's what all sacd menus look like. That reminds me, I haven't voted on this one yet myself! Just listening through again, and I'll give it a 10. Yet another superb surround mix, and God I love Tiny Dancer!

There is no video or menu system on an SACD. The layer is chosen from the player. The only thing you should see is a song title on your video screen.

Just thought id wake this thread ! I have to say the Elton SACD's are well done, vocal clarity, Bass, and punchy drums ! Mr. Penny has done well . I recently went to a matched speaker system with 2 subs and have rediscovered new and wonderful findings ! mostly clarity and a better balance of the mix. will any other EJ albums be released i have all the surround to date. Don't Shoot Me was an all time Fav !

will any other EJ albums be released i have all the surround to date. Don't Shoot Me was an all time Fav !

"Don't Shoot Me…" (along with "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies", and "Blue Moves") was mixed in surround by Penny after the release of the first 6 SACDs, but with the major label death of SACD coming along right after that, the mixes were shelved and have yet to receive a release, which reminds me: RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE! :mad:

;)

I just voted late, sorry...(wandering through forum pages has never been my strength...)

I gave it a ten, cause I can't imagine it being improved in future.

Although I am progressive music lover, there is something amazing about Elton & his band. Yes, he sings ballads and plays a humble piano, but he approached his 1970's recordings from a band prospective and his players were enormously talented and their contributions show. In addition EJ's recordings were produced so naturally & warmly they provide full range & clarity of all instruments. And having a hammond organ & lush acoustic strings is always a plus in my book. Elton's voice is so full bodied & passionate & rangy. He truly is a once in a generation talent.

EJ's growth can be traced throughout his catalog, but the sound quality on these 5.1 discs remains breath-taking.

This is a must-buy just like all of his 5.1 remixes. It is a continual heart-break that the other EJ records that have been remixed into 5.1 are not made available to us.

-edit- for some reason the price of these 5.1 EJ SACDs are half of what they came out for, making them perhaps the steal of the century.

I just voted late, sorry...(wandering through forum pages has never been my strength...)

I gave it a ten, cause I can't imagine it being improved in future.

Although I am progressive music lover, there is something amazing about Elton & his band. Yes, he sings ballads and plays a humble piano, but he approached his 1970's recordings from a band prospective and his players were enormously talented and their contributions show. In addition EJ's recordings were produced so naturally & warmly they provide full range & clarity of all instruments. And having a hammond organ & lush acoustic strings is always a plus in my book. Elton's voice is so full bodied & passionate & rangy. He truly is a once in a generation talent.

EJ's growth can be traced throughout his catalog, but the sound quality on these 5.1 discs remains breath-taking.

This is a must-buy just like all of his 5.1 remixes. It is a continual heart-break that the other EJ records that have been remixed into 5.1 are not made available to us.

-edit- for some reason the price of these 5.1 EJ SACDs are half of what they came out for, making them perhaps the steal of the century.

I too am amazed at how cheap these classic discs are being sold...people new to this hobby should grab them before they finally are gone..and on a personal note Laddie...now that the surround polls format has been beautifully updated....it's easy to go down the list of songs on the polls and cast your vote on many you have missed...I have to vote on a lot of these polls...and I will..

I too am amazed at how cheap these classic discs are being sold...people new to this hobby should grab them before they finally are gone..and on a personal note Laddie...now that the surround polls format has been beautifully updated....it's easy to go down the list of songs on the polls and cast your vote on many you have missed...I have to vote on a lot of these polls...and I will..

I finally cast a vote on this, even though I've had it for years. Excellent sonics and mix just as many others have said. All the EJ SACD's are of the same high quality. It got a 10 from me. My favorite of the group is Honky Chateau.

The best deal I ever saw was getting those EJ disks along with the Clapton disks for $5.99 each through Mymusic.com (I think that's what it was called), which was BMG's mail order club outlet.

I bought Good Bye Yellow last year, and the 5.1 mix just blew me away. I stumbled on Madman available through Amazon for $15 shipped!

Wow, what a dynamic and unbelievably organic recording. The strings literally explode out of the speakers. This is a sonic wonder, and of course the songs and performances are best of best. It is so great to hear the early 70's production values, huge dynamics and warm, warm, warm. No need for artificial top end "air" so relaxed

Peachtree Road isn't bad by any means, but it just doesn't have the stellar sound or excellent material as on those classic 6. Now there are supposed to be 5.1 mixes of "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player" and "Caribou" already in the can which would be very worthy additions if they ever decide to release them, as would the more modern "Songs from the West Coast" and "The Captain and the Kid". We can only hope.... some day.

Back