HiRez Poll John, Elton - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of Elton John - MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

• Total voters
9 from Baggy. Lots of interest here and a superb recording and mix.
I'm surprised Dennis didn't call out the contribution from Rick Wakeman!
There are so many stand-out surround moments on this disc it's just astounding.
That said, it stays entirely tasteful to the material.
Not a 10 just because I have to leave room for my favorite EJ albums in 5.1 and this isn't quite it.

9 from Baggy. Lots of interest here and a superb recording and mix.
I'm surprised Dennis didn't call out the contribution from Rick Wakeman!
There are so many stand-out surround moments on this disc it's just astounding.
That said, it stays entirely tasteful to the material.
Not a 10 just because I have to leave room for my favorite EJ albums in 5.1 and this isn't quite it.

Madman earns a perfect 10 from me. Indian Sunset, IMO, is one of the most poignantly beautiful songs from the John/Taupin canon. BTW, ONLY the SACD contains the extended jam at the end of Razor Face.

I somehow never voted on this one? Hmmm

Anyway, an EASY “10”. Classic album. Elton and Bernie at their finest. The surround mix is great. Immersive and discreet. And getting an extended Rick Wakeman/Caleb Quaye jam on “Razor Face” is almost worth a “10” all by itself.

The last album (of the classic years anyway) to feature the amazing orchestral arrangement of Paul Buckmaster and they are used like part of the band on this one.

I do think Penny put the vocal a little hot in the center, but turn it down a dB or two and it’s fine.

Snagged this one recently. Fantastic surround mix (much like the other SACD's of his early albums). It goes without saying, if you like surround albums and you like Elton John...you should own all of these. They are some of the best mixes ever done, and the discs (for now) are inexpensive. Gets a 10 from me; though Tumbleweed Connection will always be my favorite.

Catching up on my polls contribution.
When an album opens with the fantastic 'Tiny Dancer' you hope the rest of the songs will match such a strong opener.
Have no fear they more than do that.
Such a beautifully crafted album, even with it's poignant title!!
This is were the Penny dropped!!
Come on, you up and coming surround engineers/mixers, you can learn so much on how to produce a
fantastic mix with terrific fidelity, from Mr Penny's expertise.
This has nothing Tiny about it , therefore a large 10 is given.

SACD #1 of my first 4.
I skipped to the title track first due to how much I enjoy it, I was not disappointed. The piano work and the loneliness of his vocals was so much more powerful than in stereo.
Surround 10 (3)
Audio 9 (3)
Content 10 (3)
Package 10 (1)

This is my first 10 (10 rated so far.). It is a wonderful release and I'm glad it was recently mentioned as available which caused me to jump head first into SACD.

Believe it or not, I had never heard this album until I purchased the SACD. I love Rock and Elton too. I had the 4 CD Elton Collection and was happy. I was wrong. One of my best friends told me 30 years ago that it was his favorite and damn it he was right.

I too had never heard the album until I got the SACD. A week ago, or so, I finally popped it in and listened. Overall, I rate it a 9. 10 for the surround mix, probably 8 for the content. Seems a solid album for sure.

Back