HiRez Poll John, Elton - TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Elton John - TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• Total voters
Yikes, just realized I had yet to vote on this surround gem. This is simply one of the best surround discs in my ever growing collection and merits an easy ‘10’. I mean, Mick Ronson’s incomparable guitar whipping around all 4 corners of the room??!!!

Good! Maybe a few more votes will offset the silly vote of a 1. :censored:

Somehow I never voted on this one either.

Short take: Elton in his prime. One of his best, perhaps his best album. He and Bernie really hit the ball out of the park here on the songwriting. No singles were ever released from this album, so there's nothing here that's been beaten to death by classic rock or top 40 radio, which helps the material still feel fresh. As always, Paul Buckmaster's string arrangements are stunning. And then of course, there's Greg Penny's amazing mix. It's everything you want from a surround mix.

An easy 10.

A 10 mix of a 10 album — not a weak song in the bunch. *Maybe* the bonus track “Into The Old Man’s Shoes” isn’t a classic, but that’s balanced out by the stunning original version of “Madman Across The Water”. And the mix is just to die for.

Has Greg Penny ever said why he hasn’t done any surround mixes outside of the Elton realm?

A 10 mix of a 10 album — not a weak song in the bunch. *Maybe* the bonus track “Into The Old Man’s Shoes” isn’t a classic, but that’s balanced out by the stunning original version of “Madman Across The Water”. And the mix is just to die for.

Has Greg Penny ever said why he hasn’t done any surround mixes outside of the Elton realm?
How come this version of Madman often is referred to as the original version? There is only one original version and it is on the Madman album, this is an alternative version. FWIW I am preferring the original version without the guitar excesses

How come this version of Madman often is referred to as the original version? There is only one original version and it is on the Madman album, this is an alternative version. FWIW I am preferring the original version without the guitar excesses

Well, it all depends on how you define “original”. The Ronson version was obviously recorded first (about a year before the Madman version) — it was recorded with the intention of being included on Tumbleweed, but was ultimately left off either because it didn’t fit conceptually or there wasn’t room time-wise on the album, depending on who you ask.

So, is the “original” the one that was recorded first, or the one that was *released* first? (The Ronson version didn’t come out until twenty or so years later.) It becomes a semantics debate (rather than a debate on the artistic merits of each version), with both sides utterly convinced that they’re right.

I’m just grateful that both versions exist, and that they both exist in amazing surround mixes!

I’ve always really liked “Into The Old Man’s Shoes” ever since in first heard it on the “Lady Samantha” album back in the 70s. But I had always presumed it was an outtake from the “Elton John” album as it sounds more like that one. It was already a bit dated by the time of TC. I can see why it didn’t make the cut.

And so glad we have the bonus tracks in surround as well! Not all reissues do that.

Just noticed this pole and realised that I hadn't voted yet even though I've had this for years. Despite no actall hits this is still a very good album. "Country Comfort" sticks in my head, favorite track would be "Burn Down the Mission". Stylewise it's very similar to "Madnam" being recorded shorty before. The original version of "Madman Across the Water" is very interesting The guitar gives it sort of a psychedelic sound, unlike anything else that Elton ever done. Even though "Madman" is a bit stronger album I think that this too deserves a 10.

Great to hear your love for this one "rt"..! :)

talking of love, "Love Song" is gorgeous here too.

in fact the whole thing is a sonic delight, probably the best-sounding SACD of all those Eltons that did get released and a couple of those are right up there with the best of the best too, imho.

the biggest hitter for me on the Tumbleweed SACD though, is the Mick Ronson version of "Madman". there's a lovely homage to quads' crazy panning stuff here in Greg Penny's 5.1 mix, it's playful but it also reinforces the power of Micks' guitar absolutely brilliantly. just amazing demo-worthy stuff.

I'm convinced these EJ SACDs are still readily available because - despite selling extremely well, relative to SACDs general sales figures - they haven't gone out of print yet!

can someone in the know here confirm this please!?

also.. what is the possibility that this SACD, together with the SACD of "Honky Cheateau", the Steely Dan "Gaucho" and "Marvin Gaye Collection" (all UMG SACD hybrids) have been secretly re-pressed all along?

I only ask, as the HMV on Oxford Street seems to have a seemingly endless supply of these particular titles - even to this day!

I've bought backups of them all over the years and my friend has bought the self same titles there at the self same store again on SACD a little while later and I've observed them disappearing from the racks over the years and periodically being re-stocked on the shelves.. I'm like a hawk looking out for these things in stores.. and there they are time and again, back on the sales floor.. and as of just two weeks ago, HMV still had the Marvin Gaye, the Gaucho and the Honky Cheateau SACDs, just one copy of each title, out in the racks.

I used to think it was just that these were pressed in inordinately large numbers (by SACD standards) and therefore stock would still be available, though diminishing and they are officially OOP.. but now I'm not so sure what their status is..!?!

as for the other 4 EJ 5.1's.. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Universal records..!!" Let's just have them now on Deluxe Ed's with 5.1 DVD-A and be done with it..!!!

mmm.. now here's a thought., I'm going to see Elton at Wembley on Friday night..
I've stopped counting but it must be my 50-something'th time seeing him in concert.. now maybe I should make a banner -- and chant out (to the tune of "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"...!) "Where's your 5.1? Where's your 5.1? Far, far away..!!"

meh.. maybe not! I feel like I've done my bit, I've asked the people I have access to in the fan club about these things (and the rest!!) and they know diddly squat about the remaining 5.1's.

I've mentioned this here before.. but it bears repeating, I feel.. a close member of Elton's entourage remarked, when I asked her if/when the next SACDs were coming, "Oh! I thought they'd all been released already..!?"

A big fat "D'OH..!" moment eh..
"I'm convinced these EJ SACDs are still readily available because - despite selling extremely well, relative to SACDs general sales figures - they haven't gone out of print yet!
can someone in the know here confirm this please!?"
It's still available: Listed on Discogs $12.99 USD

I'm having so much fun today listening to all of Elton's surround albums.
Strange how I don't play this one that often.
Well I'm putting that right from today.
It really is a corker, especially as it's a very early release. I think he is who he wanted to be, more on this album, than any other.
I'm of the opinion that it could actually be his best release.
Again the mix is divine.
No tumbling dice here, it's a firm 10

"I'm convinced these EJ SACDs are still readily available because - despite selling extremely well, relative to SACDs general sales figures - they haven't gone out of print yet!
can someone in the know here confirm this please!?"
It's still available: Listed on Discogs $12.99 USD
And and as Mr. 4-earredwonder mentioned is still available for this price at Importcds.

Oh dear. I'll get this out the way quickly: if you like EJ, then buy away (probably). The packaging is first rate, the DSD transfer is superb, and the mix is creative.
But I don't like EJ. The most middle-of the road artist in history to my ears. Boring.

all i never needed was a "One" 😂

sigh... just another plonker, i mean outlier, who hasn't been here for years (12 to be exact) yet leaves their shitstain of a troll vote in their wake to pollute the Poll forevermore.

in these turbulent times i'm more inclined than ever to call crap out. hope i don't get booted before the armageddon! 😈

It really is a corker, especially as it's a very early release. I think he is who he wanted to be, more on this album, than any other.
Again the mix is divine.
The EQ on this is perfect for my ears.
IMHO it's nice and smooth with little to no treble boost.
Great fidelity and quite respectable DR:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/118302

Hello m8, :)

Thanks for the additional info. about Elton & the mixes. EJ is such a huge world-wide artist, I would think logically the missing 5.1 mixes would have to come out sooner than later. Rock Of The Westies is the one I await the most.

I do think it was good form and entirely needed to call attention to the chap who gave a vote of "1". Like you said even a horrible mix should rate higher. And there would be no reasonable case to be made(other than just sheer spite) that the spectatular work that was done on Elton's classic mixes deserved such a "bitch slapping".:mad:@: If one doesn't like the artist fine, but it was a considerable piece of engineering to come up with that 5.1 SACD and it should not be dragged through the refuse like that. Just my $.02 or one shilling!

Further, when a complete gentleman(like yourself) who is always positive around here points something out as a bit outside the lines...well I say it is a fair call.

I hope we get the remaining 5.1 EJ mixes sooner than later. Cheers!

Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
riding through the glen,
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore,
when will you return?

he steals from the poor
and he gives to the rich,
stupid bitch..
stupid bitch..
stupid bitch.

Dennis Moore --- Dennis Moore
when when when when when!!
Dennis Moore Dennis Moore
please return again!

ahh.. i miss him, Moore and Moore each day...

🥂

all i never needed was a "One" 😂

sigh... just another plonker, i mean outlier, who hasn't been here for years (12 to be exact) yet leaves their shitstain of a troll vote in their wake to pollute the Poll forevermore.

in these turbulent times i'm more inclined than ever to call crap out. hope i don't get booted before the armageddon! 😈
Here Here, Adam.
You ain't going nowhere, you only speaking the truth. And as an added bonus, it comes with bucket loads of amusing asides.
More power to those who can put things in perspective and also create a mild maelstrom!! :D

Again the mix is divine.
Agreed! Tumbleweed is still one of his best, "Amoreena" is my favorite. Great, crisp surround mix. The mix on "Captain Fantastic" SACD is awesome also, and as a bonus, he threw in "Philadelphia Freedom" as a bonus track in surround.

Back