John from Rhino.com here - THANK YOU, QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw in another post that ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" was released in quad. Boy, that would be a nice one for them to do. For some reason I'm thinking they might do "Machine Head" this time around.

As far as Zappa goes, I don't think that will be possible now that his catalog is controlled by Rykodisc.

Hey, what about "Billion Dollar Babies"? That could be a possibilty (doubt they would go with "Muscle Of Love"). A super longshot would be "Nightmares" by The J. Geils Band. And of course, once again I must get on my knees and beg for "Raunch + Roll Live" by Black Oak Arkansas. Could happen. A few years ago Rhino Handmade put out a 2 disc set of the complete "Raunch + Roll Live". They put out a BOA dvd too. So I would say somebody at Rhino is a BOA fan.

Last edited:
With three (count 'em) distinct surround mixes out there already, why would we need another Machine Head?
Tres Hombres may have its fans, but it had no hits and wasn't a big seller.

Because "Machine Head" is a massively popular title that would probably sell well for them. "Tres Hombres" wasn't a mainstream smash ala' "One Of These Nights", but over the years many of the songs continue to be beat to death by classic rock radio. So I would say the sales potential is there. Will Tuesday's surprise be "Tres Hombres"? Doubtful, but I can dream can't I?

I was just trying to guess what it might be. I didn't say I was dying for "Machine Head". Also, being a little late to the multichannel party, I had no idea that there were 3 different multichannel versions of it already out. I was only aware of one. And the one I was thinking of goes for a fortune now. I don't have it so I would be happy to get a reasonably priced version but it's most certainly not my first choice. As I've stated before my first choice would be "Raunch + Roll Live", followed up by "Tres Hombres".

Hey, what about "Billion Dollar Babies"? That could be a possibilty (doubt they would go with "Muscle Of Love").

BDB was already out as a dvda (with a new 5.1 mix) so MoL would be a better candidate.

If this hasn't already been posted:

THE QUEEN OF SOUL GOES QUADRAPHONIC

Rhino Handmade Reissues 1973’s The Best Of Aretha Franklin As DTS DVD
With Unique Quad Mixes Of Soul Classics Not Available Since The Original Release

Pre-Order Today Exclusively At Rhino.com, Out August 17

LOS ANGELES – For its second Quadio release, Rhino Handmade gives “Respect” to one of the greatest singers of all time with a reissue of The Best Of Aretha Franklin, a collection of stone-classic soul music that was released in 1973 exclusively in Quadraphonic. Out-of-print for decades, this music-only DVD features unique quad mixes by legendary producer Tom Dowd that have not been available since the original release.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX) is available for pre-order now exclusively at www.rhino.com for a suggested list price of $29.98 and will be released August 17. Featuring four channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio (down-scalable to 24-bit, 48 kHz), this DTS DVD is to be played in a DVD player with Surround Sound in order to enjoy the Quadraphonic mix as intended. The release does not include a two-channel stereo mix.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX) contains 12 tracks, including an extended version of “Rock Steady” with music by the Memphis Horns that was cut from the stereo version and can only be heard in this Quadraphonic mix. The disc also includes a rare version of “Chain Of Fools” with an extended introduction. This version was released in stereo in 1995 as part of Rhino’s expanded edition of Lady Soul.

These songs spotlight Franklin during her white-hot run with Atlantic Records and capture the singer at the pinnacle of her hitmaking prowess. The collection opens with “Respect,” a song that topped both the Pop and R&B charts in 1967 and went on to become the singer’s signature hit. The disc gathers many of the Queen of Soul’s crown jewels and accounts for no less than eight #1 R&B hits, including “Baby, I Love You,” “Spanish Harlem,” “Don’t Play That Song, “Call Me,” and a cover of the Simon and Garfunkel ballad “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”

One of the earliest offerings of what would later be known as Surround Sound, Quadraphonic sound uses four channels and speakers placed in four corners of a room to create signals that are independent of one another. To learn more, visit Rhino Handmade’s primer on Quadraphonic sound at www.rhino.com/global/what-quad.

THE BEST OF ARETHA FRANKLIN (QUADRAPHONIC MIX)

Track Listing

1. “Respect”

2. “Baby, I Love You”

3. “Chain Of Fools”

4. “Rock Steady”

5. “Spanish Harlem”

6. “Don’t Play That Song”

7. “Dr. Feelgood”

8. “Day Dreaming”

9. “I Say A Little Prayer”

10. “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”

11. “Call Me”

12. “Bridge Over Troubled Water”

I don't see anything on the Rhino website relating to a quad release of the Best of Aretha. I hope it's not true. After all the speculation, this would be a true disappointment. I was ready to buy almost anything, but I won't buy this.

My input - I will buy this, to support the format. We all have different tastes, my lean towards pretty hard and/or prog rock, but there are probably some QQ members that are secretly thrilled by this. Am I selfishly disappointed that it is not something more in line with my kind of music? Yes. Mainly though, I am curious what business decision drove this choice. There is a reason for it, I just don't know what it is....

are you kidding? To get soul music anytime is a treat and to get the queen is beyond a good call. This will be well sold, better than Chicago by a mile.
John keep this stuff rolling. Just keep the radar on longer than 6 month sales. Just like DTS, this will get better with age. If we would have had years we would have done much better. And we now have systems in place everywhere, unlike when we started. Multiple printings on this title will happen. The only issues is the early recordings are on 4 track. They still sound great though. I just dubbed this, as i am getting ready to sell all my reels. . It is just a fun title!!! Yippee!!

Last edited:
are you kidding? To get soul music anytime is a treat and to get the queen is beyond a good call. This will be well sold, better than Chicago by a mile.
John keep this stuff rolling. Just keep the radar on longer than 6 month sales. Just like DTS, this will get better with age. If we would have had years we would have done much better. And we now have systems in place everywhere, unlike when we started. Multiple printings on this title will happen. The only issues is the early recordings are on 4 track. They still sound great tough. I just dubbed this, as i am getting ready to sell all my reels. . It is just a fun title!!! Yippee!!

Nice! Had the CD-4 album of Best of Aretha in Quad back in the '70s. Look forward to the new version with today's sound quality. My Rhino order will be in shortly !

I went to the Rhino site to pre-order but I didn't see any mention of it. I will definitely buy it. Keep 'em coming!

Back