John from Rhino.com here - THANK YOU, QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There would be no need to buy a DVD-A player for these. They can simply be released as they are now as DTS DVDs but with the addition of lossless in the disc's AUDIO_TS folder for those that happen to have DVD-A players. Those with normal DVD players can still play the DTS tracks as any other DVD, but those with DVD-A players would also be able to access the lossless. If there is fear that calling it a DVD-A would cause confusion and hurt sales then simply don't even label/market it as a DVD-A, make it a 'stealth' DVD-A release along the lines of some of the stealth hybrid SACD releases (which were not marked as SACD so casual consumer would assume it was just a regular CD).

Don't get me wrong, I support these even without lossless. :) It's just that for the same disc manufacturing equipment/cost these could also contain lossless and IMO create additional 'buzz' and sales among the hi-res community.

Great Idea, Bill.

make it a 'stealth' DVD-A release along the lines of some of the stealth hybrid SACD releases (which were not marked as SACD so casual consumer would assume it was just a regular CD).

QUOTE]

OK, I'll bite. Anyone know which titles are stealth SACDs? I assume all are stereo.

OK, I'll bite. Anyone know which titles are stealth SACDs? I assume all are stereo.[/QUOTE]

Jon, this might be good in the SACD department for people to post
and compile a list of "stealth" SACDs. (rather than here)

Mike,

Two I know of are the first two George Thorogood albums from Rounder.

-B

Thank you John. DTS is fine for me. I don't know whether or not DVD-A or SACD would sound any better when it comes to
4-channel recordings from the 70's? The Chicago album sounds great and I think the Aretha album will sound fine too. Otherwise I don't think you would release it? Now let's hope for many more quads in the future. There are lots of albums I would like to see released in quad, like "Perfect angel" Minnie Riperton, All Barbra Streisand ( A Streisand box maybe?) "Judith" Judy Collins, "Rags to Rufus" and "Rufusized" Rufus & Chaka Khan, "The divine miss M" Bette Midler, All Japanese quad Motown
albums, etc. I could go on forever but I stop here

Mats

As far as a dvd-audio disc: there's still a lot of dvd-audio-capable or universal players out there, many bought by customers who didn't know what dvd-audio/sacd was i.e. those formats just happened to come along for the ride along with the hi-end video chip sets and musical analog output section for their CDs that they read about on an internet review site.

So what happens when one of these people drops their new 4.0 dvd-audio disc in that player, which I can pretty much guarantee has never been configured properly (remember, except for the latest players with HDMI [which debuted when dvd-audio was disappearing], all those older ones required you to use its analog multichannel output & most receiver's multichannel inputs never included bass management)? Since the customer probably uses a set of small decor-friendly satellites with a sub, he will not hear any low bass because his sub will not have a signal being sent to it i.e. all the speakers settings are still set to their factory defaults of "large" and "yes subwoofer".

Oh btw, the above scenario assumes that the player includes bass management for the hi-res tracks in the first place...........and not all players do in my experience. :(

So....Rhino starts receiving irate calls and emails about malfunctioning discs, and how could they sell such a lousy product for that much money, yada yada yada.

Sure the customer service rep could gently remind them they should be able to switch their player over to its dvd-video playback mode - and unlike my Pioneer DV-656A :rolleyes: hope it STAYS in that mode once the disc drawer is opened - and play the DTS track that way, unless Rhino's authoring people included a DTS link on the disc's main menu....which would have to be accessed via a TV every time the disc was played. Whatever the scenario, these kinds of answers are not condusive towards creating a heightened interest in buying more such discs and I'll guarantee most people will blow off the format based on such a lousy experience.

But a DTS disc? DTS, like Dolby Digital, is a fully standardized format and when such a disc is dropped into a player, it works. Period. And with the millions of DTS-capable players & A/V receivers out there.

To Jon
Read your letter to Sound & Vision. Refreshing! I loved Chicago Quadio. Hope Rhino maintains its enthusiasm as much as this forum seems to. Finally rock/pop music in a new surround format.

Hipp

Daneel, I honestly cannot follow your arguments. This is a limited edition in an odd format. I doubt anyone buying it is totally unaware of how their audio system works. And if there were, it would be a healthy opportunity for them to learn.

Perhaps I clearly do not understand the music manufacturing side of things. I had presumed that titles were printed all at one time. For example, we have been told CTA was a success as there are only 500 left.

According to the Rhino website that number is now zero.

So I guess we can officially call CTA a success. :)

According to the Rhino website that number is now zero.

So I guess we can officially call CTA a success. :)

That's good news! It proves there's a market for Quadraphonic now that more folks have "Home Theater Systems." The music and mixes are historic. Keep the titles rolling Rhino!

So, John/Rhino, WHAT's THE NEXT RELEASE????
My vote/hope is The Doobie Brother/What were once vices are now habits!

Will be nice to know the sales figure for Aretha, compared also with the CTA disc.
Hope that a thrid release will come faster... 6 releases/year would be good, once all the steps involved had been lined up correctly.

I was thinking about company lineage yesterday, and it occurred to me that the Jim Croce catalog, still controlled by Cashman & West, is now under license to Atlantic... which means Rhino can get fingers on it. It would be really cool to have discrete Croce after all these years. Maybe a Handmade Quadio mini-box of all 3 studio Lps in Quad? :)

I was thinking about company lineage yesterday, and it occurred to me that the Jim Croce catalog, still controlled by Cashman & West, is now under license to Atlantic... which means Rhino can get fingers on it. It would be really cool to have discrete Croce after all these years. Maybe a Handmade Quadio mini-box of all 3 studio Lps in Quad? :)

For sure they will fit...

Are you kidding? They were barely considered for stereo release.

I know but between them there's is an albums worth of good music. The wiping of them from the digital age from the Doors catalog has been criminal in my opinion. Just wondered as the rest of the Doors albums have had the 5.1 treatment if there were original quad then that would make a nice close out. of course thats also excluding the great American Prayer album

Sorry to say, but I think that what Rhino does is find an existing quad tape and release it...very little has to be done...so I would not look to see anything we could consider new being released.

Back