John from Rhino.com here - THANK YOU, QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see you again, John.
When the next Qaudio release?

Scheduling is still fuzzy, but I can tell you guys we definitely read all your suggestions and you'll be very happy.

I should also add that while we can't share exact numbers, Rhino Handmade releases are limited-edition in nature - we press enough to satisfy forecasted demand and not so much that we're left with stock sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere - hence the sell-outs and collectible nature of Handmade. These are niche releases for hardcore music fans and the limited numbers allow us to release fantastic titles that wouldn't get a fair shake via traditional retail.

Not to bitch, but heres hoping the new release is on a hirez format, like bluray audio. DTS DVD is so last year. I think bluray is popular enough now to be the format of choice (If not, please give us a dvd audio stream on the dvd) It also makes it easier to pay $29 for an old catalog title....

Blu-ray has 18% penetration. DVD-A is even less. Those formats would kill quadio. Only 1/3 of all US households have a surround system. That's enough of a gamble right there.

Blu-ray has 18% penetration. DVD-A is even less. Those formats would kill quadio. Only 1/3 of all US households have a surround system. That's enough of a gamble right there.

On the other hand, these limited releases aren't designed for the average household - people who buy these specialty products are people who care about sound quality. I am willing to bet if you surveyed those who bought the first two releases, the percentages that own blu-ray and/or dvd-a hardware is MUCH higher.

(First time posting, go easy on me!)

On the other hand, these limited releases aren't designed for the average household - people who buy these specialty products are people who care about sound quality. I am willing to bet if you surveyed those who bought the first two releases, the percentages that own blu-ray and/or dvd-a hardware is MUCH higher.

Yes, but quadio is designed to be able to be played by anyone with a home-theater system. To keep the series alive and hopefully growing, certain numbers have to be hit. That's just business reality.

maybe on the first, no way on the second. i simply do not think the dvd-a install base is anywhere near as high as this group makes it out to be.

it's still a niche within a niche. you're looking for home theater owners who are of the age group where true representations of their old quad records are of interest to them. that being said, it appears that the demand was just right with the supply on that.

i've never made my own request of here from John, so I'll jump in say that I'd love to see more deluxe reissues of 80's and 90's alternative rock. no 5.1 necessary on those for me. just improve on the sound quality of those first-gen CDs.

Hey John,

A few month ago, there was a big stir around here about a Stephen Stills DVD-A from Rhino UK. Was that a mistake by internet retailers or is that still a possibility? Can you tell us anything about that one?

THANKS

I'm still not hearing an explanation from Rhino why they won't supply a HiRez audio stream. I would accept a reason if one were given. I can accept that Bluray numbers are not high enough now for them to release bluray versions (But I would think every home theater enthusiast is or will be adopting bluray).
But Rhino once released DVDAs with DTS streams on them. Just change the labels and call them DTS CDs, but include a DVD Audio stream. Whats the problem?

Hello John:

I have both the CTA and Aretha discs. I love both!

May I make a suggestion?

1. Make a list of 25 (or better, more than 25 titles)
titles that Rhino Handmade could potentially release.

I am not asking you to initially guarantee these titles will be released;
simply publish a list of prospective titles.

2. Take a poll from users here and on your site to determine
potential sales of the titles on your list. Use sites such as
Facebook to reach more potential customers.

Once you have the market data you need, decide which titles
will generate enough sales for release.

3. Offer subscriptions (both here, on your website) to purchasers.

If you did so, I would personally be happy to pre-pay
Rhino Handmade $120 for a 4 disc subscription for
Quadio releases at the $30 retail price per disc.

In return, I'd expect Rhino Handmade to release
at least one title every 60 days from a list of at least 10
available titles.

I am positive that I can find at least 4 titles I'll want. In fact,
I doubt that there will be any titles I won't want on the list!

I'd also expect that my subscription would guarantee that
if I select a title from the list, it would be filled. That would
require that title availability be kept current, so no subscriber
would be unable to get a title listed as available at the time
he or she subscribed.

After the initial subscription was filled, I suggest that
renewals be offered at some level of discount.
Or maybe a buy four, get one free offer could work.
This would encourage initial subscriptions and increase
sales.

The up-front subscription fees would help Rhino Handmade cover
start-up costs. The internet and email will let you directly
reach potential customers to grow the market.

Steven Kastner

I'm still not hearing an explanation from Rhino why they won't supply a HiRez audio stream. I would accept a reason if one were given. I can accept that Bluray numbers are not high enough now for them to release bluray versions (But I would think every home theater enthusiast is or will be adopting bluray).
But Rhino once released DVDAs with DTS streams on them. Just change the labels and call them DTS CDs, but include a DVD Audio stream. Whats the problem?

Warner has given a reason, DVD-A doesn't sell well and requires additional royalties and creation costs. Stealth DVD-A doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it and a DVD can not be called a DTS CD. DVD-A is like the kiss of death, causes consumer confusion and the results were consistently pathetic for years in terms of sales. The rumored European Graham Nash DVD-A may mean that Rhino Europe will try once more but nothing I have seen indicates Rhino US is going to release that one if it does happen in Europe. The recent Warner DVD-Vs with 96kHz/240-Bit DTS are good enough that if I want the album and willing to pay the price, that is acceptable for me. I would prefer DVD-V and DVD-A both be left behind for Blu-ray but so far that hasn't happened.

Well then why can't they just release them as HD DVDs?
Just kidding.....
Chris, your observations are on point and I guess I missed the additional royalties cost argument.
On the other hand SACD continues to survive, although I expect there would be an extra royalty cost there. But wouln't there be one or any extra stream including DTS or DD?

Anyways a Merry Christmas to all at QQ!

Well then why can't they just release them as HD DVDs?
Just kidding.....
Chris, your observations are on point and I guess I missed the additional royalties cost argument.
On the other hand SACD continues to survive, although I expect there would be an extra royalty cost there. But wouln't there be one or any extra stream including DTS or DD?

Anyways a Merry Christmas to all at QQ!

SACD survives primarily as a classical music format without the severe duplicate royalty problem and high priced tiny niche market boutique label format, no recent mainstream market releases have shown up anywhere I shop.

Hey John:
What are the chances of seeing some of the Black Oak Arkansas recordings released in quad? Especially the early ones. We have Raunch and Roll in CD-4, but there are no other Black Oak quads. Some titles I would like to hear:
Black Oak Arkansas
Keep the Faith
If an Angel Came to See you...
Street Party (as a Southerner, I would love to hear Black Oak's version of Dixie in quad!)
Early Times
I don't know if any of these are under the Rhino label, but if you burn 'em I'll buy 'em!
Any of the others would be appreciated and purchased, but these would be the most appreciated.

The Quadfather
P.S. Blue ray will do, or DVD-A, or DTS CD, or even SACD. I can play 'em all. Please, no Dolby Digital. The quality just isn't there.

Maybe Rhino can get us that multi-channel release of Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player",
that the powers that be decided to NOT release along with all the other classic EJ albums!
Yellow Brick Road got DVD-A & SACD to boot but no Crocodile Rockin' in surround!

(And yeah, I'd love to hear BOA's "Lord Have Mercy On My Soul" in MC!)

Maybe Rhino can get us that multi-channel release of Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player",
that the powers that be decided to NOT release along with all the other classic EJ albums!
Yellow Brick Road got DVD-A & SACD to boot but no Crocodile Rockin' in surround!

(And yeah, I'd love to hear BOA's "Lord Have Mercy On My Soul" in MC!)

I am pretty sure Rhino won't do an Elton John surround release. The Universal Music Group SACDs of several great Elton John albums are still rather easy to find and not very expensive. It would be unlikely to sell well at a multiple of the price of those albums which are high resolution lossless and I think most would agree, are better albums.

Back