John Klemmer - Magic and Movement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

So I've owned this for a while but hadn't played it as it is QS (I think - it's ABC) and the only decoder I have available is the neural decoder on my Denon AVR receiver. That has worked great for SQ but everyone has said you need to use Dolby PLII to get QS decoded, and that hasn't worked for me. On a whim I turned on neural for the Klemmer album - and was promptly blown out of the water. Live, free form jazz. First track, the sax plays solo through an echo unit. Not only is it prominent in the rear channels, it's actually the main line loud and clear from the rears and the echo in the front! I was almost jumping for joy! Then I tried my Jim Croce 'Photographs and Memories' LP and found the piano and the background singers isolated in the rear speakers (bg singers were actually right rear only). I will no longer automatically bypass the QS items I stumble upon at garage sales and thrift stores - a new world has opened!

(BTW, I hear all you purists saying I need to use a true QS and/or SQ decoder to hear what the real mix is, and I don't disagree. But in the meantime, I am hearing discrete output using only what I've got, and that's pretty dang sweet for a cheapskate like myself. Probably a few of us out there but we don't usually admit to it.)

So I've owned this for a while but hadn't played it as it is QS (I think - it's ABC) and the only decoder I have available is the neural decoder on my Denon AVR receiver. That has worked great for SQ but everyone has said you need to use Dolby PLII to get QS decoded, and that hasn't worked for me. On a whim I turned on neural for the Klemmer album - and was promptly blown out of the water. Live, free form jazz. First track, the sax plays solo through an echo unit. Not only is it prominent in the rear channels, it's actually the main line loud and clear from the rears and the echo in the front! I was almost jumping for joy! Then I tried my Jim Croce 'Photographs and Memories' LP and found the piano and the background singers isolated in the rear speakers (bg singers were actually right rear only). I will no longer automatically bypass the QS items I stumble upon at garage sales and thrift stores - a new world has opened!

(BTW, I hear all you purists saying I need to use a true QS and/or SQ decoder to hear what the real mix is, and I don't disagree. But in the meantime, I am hearing discrete output using only what I've got, and that's pretty dang sweet for a cheapskate like myself. Probably a few of us out there but we don't usually admit to it.)

Interesting. So now I'm wondering if anyone else can corroborate your experience. Dolby PLII gives a good approximation of SQ, but DTS Neural:X is better for QS?

Jay, I just have to mention that I am really impressed with the 5.1 decoders today. I have a Marantz with the usual new surround formats and Auro 3D and also have a surround master, Tate II & Ambisonic decoders connected to the same system and can flip to any for a comparison and I have to say new non quad decoders sound pretty damn good, much better than 10 years ago. I use whatever decoder sounds best as music is meant to be enjoyed.

Back