Dual Disc John Legend Get Lifted

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcdriver

Since 2002/2003
I picked up "JOHN LEGEND Get Lifted" last Friday and have been listening to it quite a bit since then. This DualDisc has all 14 songs in 5.1 Surround Sound and PCM Stereo on the DVD side of the disc. I found the surround mix to be well done with good use of the center and surround channels.

One thing I found interesting was that the disc lit up the Dolby Digital indicator on my universal player but nowhere on the album cover do I see the Dolby Digital logo. I find that odd. This is the first time I have noticed a Dolby Digital encoded disc without the Dolby Digital logo on the cover/insert.

The music is urban black with a strong gospel influence. John Legend aka John Stephens sings and plays piano on most if not all the tracks. Four tracks feature a guest artist(s) Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Miri Ben-Ari and The Stephens Family. I recommend this disc.

thanks for the recommendation tcdriver. i've been keeping my eye out for the sacd version that was just released. so far no luck.

The Dolby Digital logo can only be used if the copyright holders submitted examples of the encoded material to Dolby Labs for verification and approval.
The lack of such a logo implies one of a few things,
1 - The encoding did not meet the required standards laid down by Dolby Labs and permission was refused
2 - The creators/Copyright holders did not want to use the logo, and never submitted the files for verification
3 - The designers did not want to add the logo.

I have a fair few DVD-V without the DD logo on the disc or packaging.
And it usually means that option 1 above is the cause.

bugdaddy said:
thanks for the recommendation tcdriver. i've been keeping my eye out for the sacd version that was just released. so far no luck.

The SACD with the 5.1 Hi Rez Surround Sound mix is available at Tower Records and also a variety of web sites that carry SACDs - Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct, CD Universe and Amazon.Com.

The most interesting Surround Sound cut on the SACD is the one where Legend teams with the Gospel group the Stephens Family (Track 13).

That's interesting. Thanks for the possible reasons, Neil.

btw... I got my SACD copy of "Get Lifted" at a Best Buy store. (Never really had much interest in the DualDisc since it lacked hi-rez.) I've had it for maybe 2 weeks now or something like that, but I happened to be at the same store today and so I checked to see if there was any chance they got any more copies of it in stock since I had purchased the last one. Didn't look like it---unless they sold those, too. (I'll presume it was the latter!)

I like the music well enough, methinks. Though I would rather listen to some Sam Cooke if given a choice. Yet... this new stuff is growing on me.

I saw the SACD at Tower last night. It is a dollar more then the DualDisk, for what it's worth.

I'm debating whether I should pick up the Dual Disk or SACD. The DualDisk has several extras that the SACD doesn't have (music videos and such). Lack or high resolution audio really hurts though.

I did have a chance to sample "Let's Get Lifted" in surround and I thought it was very well done.

Last edited:
I just thought I'm gonna add some info after I got hold of an European version of the DualDisc recently:
- the PCM track is 48/16, 5.1 DD runs at circa 3 Mbps rate constantly
- the only other feature on the DVD side is a 24 min. documentary
- 5.1 mixed by Jim Caruana
Should I rate this release I would go as high as a 7 but I'm gonna wait until I feel like unsealing my SACD copy - don't see that happening anytime soon although I really like the music and the mix

I just thought I'm gonna add some info after I got hold of an European version of the DualDisc recently:
- the PCM track is 48/16, 5.1 DD runs at circa 3 Mbps rate constantly
- the only other feature on the DVD side is a 24 min. documentary
- 5.1 mixed by Jim Caruana
Should I rate this release I would go as high as a 7 but I'm gonna wait until I feel like unsealing my SACD copy - don't see that happening anytime soon although I really like the music and the mix

The guy is really good and his concert Blu-ray disc is first rate as well. I don't own the SACD of "Get Lifted", only the DualDisc, but it is one of my favorite Dolby Digital 5.1 DualDiscs. I will have to play something I own by him soon. The concert Blu-ray is most likely, I haven't listened to it in a while.

Chris

Back