John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe Edition (New 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m amazed some people who visit this website aren’t going to buy this set

I am never amazed by this. People have set funds, especially these days, and while spending $100+ for some isn't a big deal, for others, that's a lot of money for a box set that might only provide the buyer with the 5.1 disc as the rest of it sits on a shelf for decades.

Someday I will have to make decisions like that and I do not look forward to it. So far, I'm lucky with respect to having the cash, but honestly, that could change in the wink of an eye.

I’m amazed some people who visit this website aren’t going to buy this set
I have to wait and see some reviews before I plunk down that much cash for a big box, and this album is a Lennon high point for me. I bought the Imagine set and the only part I felt had value for me was the raw studio takes. I passed on the Truth set because it didn't offer those, AND there was a lot of Imagine repetition included in it, AND I knew POB was on the way (more repetition), AND they failed to include the tracks from Sometime in NYC, save for the one I like the least (Angela), AND it got fairly lukewarm reviews.

At $300 ($100 per deluxe set times three), thats probably double what I've paid for all the other Lennon releases I've bought through my whole life across all formats. And I've bought them all.

Last edited:
I am never amazed by this. People have set funds, especially these days, and while spending $100+ for some isn't a big deal, for others, that's a lot of money for a box set that might only provide the buyer with the 5.1 disc as the rest of it sits on a shelf for decades.

Someday I will have to make decisions like that and I do not look forward to it. So far, I'm lucky with respect to having the cash, but honestly, that could change in the wink of an eye.

That's part of it for me. The other part is that the surround mixes from the last two JL releases didn't really do much for me (the quad mix of Imagine was lovely, though) so I'm hesitant. I can't lie that the avalanche of great surround releases at the end of last year hurt my wallet pretty hard, too.

Can't wait I love this album for all the rawness. Its a shame both albums Yoko POB and John POB, but at least some of the sessions appear on the blu ray.

Walls and Bridges will also be an amazing set especially the 5.1 mix. You gotta know they are going to go for that one as well, they have to keep the releases coming as they like the cash flow.

But yeah, I have noticed that $100 is becoming the norm for box sets or specialty vinyl as well.

Where do folks get the money to blow $100 a release?

Walls and Bridges will also be an amazing set especially the 5.1 mix. You gotta know they are going to go for that one as well, they have to keep the releases coming as they like the cash flow.

But yeah, I have noticed that $100 is becoming the norm for box sets or specialty vinyl as well.

Where do folks get the money to blow $100 a release?
Yeah my wife sure isn’t happy about all the money I’ve spent on releases and equipment recently. I can’t help myself though.

I'm excited for this release, but wish there was a stand alone blu-ray version. In the past year I've purchased Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road and was very happy with the blu-ray portions. As I am a casual Beatles fan, the outtakes are wasted on me. It will be interesting to have them in surround, but still don't see myself listening to them often, possibly only once.

I'm excited for this release, but wish there was a stand alone blu-ray version. In the past year I've purchased Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road and was very happy with the blu-ray portions. As I am a casual Beatles fan, the outtakes are wasted on me. It will be interesting to have them in surround, but still don't see myself listening to them often, possibly only once.
Do you have the Imagine set? The surround outtakes are better then the album, and I’m not a big listener of the outtakes on anything.

Do you have the Imagine set? The surround outtakes are better then the album, and I’m not a big listener of the outtakes on anything.
As excited as I am by the ATMOS mixes, I admit that the raw takes are what I’m most looking forward to. On Imagine those were both stereo and 5.1. Does anyone know yet how they’ll be in this set?

No. I had been a lapsed surround listener until COVID hit. Until last summer I had not purchased much that wasn't SW related. This will be my first foray into Beatles adjacent material.

Back