John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe Edition (New 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no news? isnt tomorrow the street release date?
Unfortunately, I believe it was pushed back a week. I didn’t know until a few days ago when I was trying to figure out when importCDs ships pre-orders (which I still don’t know).

To ease my frustration I listened to some of the Imagine raw mixes in 5.1... only to realize it made me want this new release tomorrow all the more.

Those surround diagrams look pretty sparse in the rear channels, but that was the case with the "official" Imagine 5.1 mix... let's hope those alternate mixes are more discrete like in the Imagine set.

I wonder why the powers think that people who are interested in the surround sound versions are hung up on them sounding "true to the original intent"? I mean, I don't like when the surround version is altered drastically, like the quad of Reelin' In The Years, but I would prefer the most adventurous mix possible without ruining it.

Also, are we are going to get the same thing we got on Gimme Some Truth, where the DTS version wasn't nearly as impressive a mix as the 7.1 TrueHD (or Atmos.)

I wonder why the powers think that people who are interested in the surround sound versions are hung up on them sounding "true to the original intent"? I mean, I don't like when the surround version is altered drastically, like the quad of Reelin' In The Years, but I would prefer the most adventurous mix possible without ruining it.

Also, are we are going to get the same thing we got on Gimme Some Truth, where the DTS version wasn't nearly as impressive a mix as the 7.1 TrueHD (or Atmos.)
Thats exactly what I'm expecting to happen, especially after reading the recent review , posted here.
It is an acquired taste Baggy!!

Its a very personal album, with very sparse instrumentation. The focus is in the lyrics and the statements they make.
Absolutely. Meaning a very personal album for John, and then for people like us.
I am rarely a lyric person, mostly the all at once kind of listener, but out of all my years of listening to music, this is the most intense lyrically I can think of, really hits home getting to hear what came up for John in his intense therapy sessions, and how I could relate.

Absolutely. Meaning a very personal album for John, and then for people like us.
I am rarely a lyric person, mostly the all at once kind of listener, but out of all my years of listening to music, this is the most intense lyrically I can think of, really hits home getting to hear what came up for John in his intense therapy sessions, and how I could relate.
I'm glad I've heard it at least once. I just don't find it enjoyable. In the same way I don't find my PTSD therapy enjoyable. I relate to the album, but still don't like it.

I'm glad I've heard it at least once. I just don't find it enjoyable. In the same way I don't find my PTSD therapy enjoyable. I relate to the album, but still don't like it.
The most common feedback I have heard when the subject of Pink Floyd comes up with a non-fan is "the songs are always so depressing. Don't they ever play anything happy or uplifting?"

Actually, no. I don't think they do, at least not in the Waters era. It isn't intended to reflect happiness.

I think POB is a lot like that.

Its a very personal album, with very sparse instrumentation.

Indeed, most of the album is just drums (likely mono, two tracks at most), bass, lead vocal, and either guitar or piano. There isn't much in the way of layering, overdubs, or sound effects. I think even a Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner would have difficulty creating an effective surround mix out of that. That being said--on Gimme Some Truth, I was a little disappointed that they didn't split the double-tracked vocals in "Isolation" between the front and rear speakers. The raw mixes should definitely be interesting if they opt for the quad-esque "drums in rear left, bass in rear right" soundstage again.

The most common feedback I have heard when the subject of Pink Floyd comes up with a non-fan is "the songs are always so depressing. Don't they ever play anything happy or uplifting?"

Actually, no. I don't think they do, at least not in the Waters era. It isn't intended to reflect happiness.

I think POB is a lot like that.
Lots of artists and groups are like that. Metallica, Steven Wilson, Aimee Mann and so on. I like some sad content. Just not this album. Certainly not enough to go the SDE route.

Here's the back cover of the box set. It's a little confusing, but it looks like only the album (and three additional singles) are remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. The rest of the content appears to be stereo-only:
91ztABPowfS._SL1500_.jpg

Back