John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe Edition (New 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the back cover of the box set. It's a little confusing, but it looks like only the album (and three additional singles) are remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. The rest of the content appears to be stereo-only:
91ztABPowfS._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks! That’s disappointing, to be sure. I began bracing myself when I noticed no mention of the sessions in the three-part review.

Considering how great it was to “sit in on the sessions” with those 5.1 raw Imagine mixes it does feel like a loss. Having those sessions in 5.1 was (to me) like getting a stripped down version of the final album with a few knobbly bits of chatter thrown in. A song delicate as “Oh My Love” was (again, for me) revelatory with just an unaccompanied double tracked voice, etc. filling the room. I imagine that the same treatment for a vocal-only track like “Mother, “Isolation,” would be as harrowing as “Love” or “Look at Me” might be more imminent. Having listened to “Isolation” on the new YouTube video I think the stereo will still convey it all with every natural breath not hidden in the original wet mix.

I also think Imagine had more to uncover from even the final performances and that may just not be so here. Okay, I’m rationalizing some. Still, there is so much material here. I think it’ll be awhile before I personally feel the missed opportunity. That being said... an ATMOS career-spanning release and this seminal album (of acquired taste, as understandably stated above) in what, half a year? It is an embarrassment of riches despite the various shortcomings. I just hope we’re half this lucky with All Things Must Pass (and Let It Be).

Now if you don’t mind, I’m got some Kool-Aid to drink. I mean grapefruit. Dammit.

Well, I’ve procrastinated this long, so I’ll wait to hear what the early adopters have to say about this set before diving in. I think that the cuts from this album that appear on ‘Gimme Some Truth‘ sound very nice...ripped from the 7.1 TrueHD stream...even though generally ambient surround. So I’m still expecting to get this set unless there is a major bust.

Here's the back cover of the box set. It's a little confusing, but it looks like only the album (and three additional singles) are remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. The rest of the content appears to be stereo-only:
91ztABPowfS._SL1500_.jpg
This was mentioned in the enormous SHF thread a week or so ago and someone who already has the set said everything is in both 5.1 and Atmos.

This was mentioned in the enormous SHF thread a week or so ago and someone who already has the set said everything is in both 5.1 and Atmos.
Having read this, I wonder if that's what "Dolby Digital" is in reference to. (No, I'm not great at this). If so, isn't that strictly lossy? Not ideal but better than the current conversation.

Last edited:
The poster specifies at the top that the text is just a copy/paste from the uDiscover shop. They've had incorrect information before, such as the Goats Head Soup box including a DTS-HD 5.1 mix.

What's even more confusing on the actual box set is the inclusion of DOLBY DIGITAL on the Blu ray Audio discs. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Are they in any way confusing it with [Lossless] DOLBY TRUE HD?

So I went digging through that uber-long SHF thread and found definitive confirmation from an insider who received the box early (he even posted pictures of the Blu-Ray menu) that all the outtake material is stereo-only.

View attachment 66305

I guess I should be glad I'm saving $100, but this is so disappointing :(
Well I guess then; they "are" being unintelligibly clear. 😒

So I went digging through that uber-long SHF thread and found definitive confirmation from an insider who received the box early (he even posted pictures of the Blu-Ray menu) that all the outtake material is stereo-only.

View attachment 66305

I guess I should be glad I'm saving $100, but this is so disappointing :(
Wow sorry to get everyone’s hopes up. Color me disappointed also 😩

I’ll be getting the box when the price comes down a bit. I’m satisfied that we get the main album and the singles in surround. In addition to Atmos, there is a dedicated 5.1 mix. The fact we’re getting surround from this title is a miracle.

Sure, it would have been nice to get the other extra bits in surround, but there’s not a lot of orchestration to mix compared with like “Walls and Bridges.” Hopefully, W&B will also get the treatment with the original Quad mix added.

I will admit, I was initially punched in the gut when I read the additional outakes, etc., were not going to be in surround. But, after taking a few breaths........I'm still on board with this purchase. I read in another blog (can't remember where) where someone in the know said the hi resolution content with the alternate takes, etc., were simply amazing.

So.......bring it on. I can't wait!!!

Back