John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Sometime in New York City - Ultimate Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zappa released his mixes of the incident on Playground Psychotics.
Must have been another Spector mix on the Lennon release because it was terrible. Classic Spector then, with him missing the meters moving on a lot of tracks and elements just missing. Frank actually found a way to make Yoko funny and that's quite the accomplishment!

When this album and the main track were completely ignored on the Gimme Some Truth collection I thought Yoko bowed down to the pressure and was going to just shelve it. What a relief to see that's not the case!!!

:unsure: As its a Live album (from 1972) which I've never owned, I wonder how adventurous, if at all, they'd be with a surround mix? assuming there is one. I'm still very likely to get it though.

Its been a while since I've had the LP, but IIRC, the first disc is a studio album. Only the second disc is live.

Yes, a full 10-track studio album (with quite a few wonderful gems, although musically it's definitely not the highlight of Lennon's career), and three long "Live jam" cuts. There could be a LOT of unreleased material in this one.

Yes, a full 10-track studio album (with quite a few wonderful gems, although musically it's definitely not the highlight of Lennon's career), and three long "Live jam" cuts. There could be a LOT of unreleased material in this one.
I had hoped for Walls and Bridges (especially since it even had a 70ā€™s Quad release) but they threw a few of those songs into the GIMME SOME TRUTH box; so Iā€™m afraid now itā€™ll never happen. But Iā€™m curios how theyā€™ll mix the live show with Zappa, hopefully theyā€™ll make it interesting!

I had hoped for Walls and Bridges (especially since it even had a 70ā€™s Quad release) but they threw a few of those songs into the GIMME SOME TRUTH box; so Iā€™m afraid now itā€™ll never happen.

I'm pretty confident they'll do similar box sets with "ultimate mixes" of all the Lennon solo albums over the next few years, and the inclusion of the Imagine quad mix bodes well for them doing the same thing for Walls and Bridges. GST certainly didn't stop them from issuing the Plastic Ono Band set less than a year later (though I think POB had been ready for some time and delayed due to COVID).

I had hoped for Walls and Bridges (especially since it even had a 70ā€™s Quad release) but they threw a few of those songs into the GIMME SOME TRUTH box; so Iā€™m afraid now itā€™ll never happen. But Iā€™m curios how theyā€™ll mix the live show with Zappa, hopefully theyā€™ll make it interesting!
If the studio tracks were recorded with Spector at the controls, that 16 track multitrack copy Zappa gave Lennon from the live show will likely be the best recording in the whole project.

I had hoped for Walls and Bridges...
I'm pretty confident they'll do similar box sets with "ultimate mixes" of all the Lennon solo albums over the next few years...
Its hard to believe they would release a deluxe STINYC and not release WAB which is a superior album IMO.

Last edited:
My guess would be that with Imagine and Plastic Ono Bandā€”representing his two most popular solo releasesā€”they seem committed to extending a similar treatment to the rest of the solo catalog in a chronological manner. So they're continuing the SDEs with Some Time In New York City then we'll get Mind Games and Walls and Bridges. Then maybe do a 45th or 50th anniversary SDE of Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey? Perhaps combined as one big package?

Well I sure hope everyone's right here on the Walls and Bridges (my fav Lennon album!) First out in 1974, so maybe a couple years yet for a major 50th release box (will I hold up that long?)

On that live mix with Zappa, they could put Yoko's caterwauling iso'd in the center, then I could easily deal with it ;) -Just saying, artistically speaking, not my cup o' tea.

Well I sure hope everyone's right here on the Walls and Bridges (my fav Lennon album!) First out in 1974, so maybe a couple years yet for a major 50th release box (will I hold up that long?)

On that live mix with Zappa, they could put Yoko's caterwauling iso'd in the center, then I could easily deal with it ;) -Just saying, artistically speaking, not my cup o' tea.
Its been so long since I've heard it. Her wailing during Cold Turkey sticks out in my memory. But I don't think that is the Zappa show. Someone tell me if I'm correct.

Que pasa, New York?
What a bad ass city...

That "encore" with the guitars left on droning feedback with her caterwauling (good choice of word) over it makes me laugh out loud. Zappa actually found a way to bring out the absurdity and funny there! Literally everything else I've heard from here makes me reach for the off switch.

If she's trying to go for some unhinged primal scream kind of thing, she just doesn't have it in her, frankly. Weak sauce.

Back