John Luther Adams "Become Desert" coming on CD+DVD & digital download (5.1 & Dolby Atmos) June 14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will never be lossless Atmos on DVD due to bandwidth limitations. I guess it’s possible it could be implanted as a Dolby lossy extension like it’s done on Netflix and other streaming services.

There will never be lossless Atmos on DVD due to bandwidth limitations. I guess it’s possible it could be implanted as a Dolby lossy extension like it’s done on Netflix and other streaming services.
There's always an easy way out: just include the MP4 file inside the DVD structure, so that you can copy and play separately.
In this case it's only an 800MB as sold by AS, so not a big deal

Reply from AS:
Dear cesar_eeg,
Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately due to licensing and copyright issues we are currently unable to offer our Super HiRez downloads to those customers outside of the United States and Canada. We do hope to be able to eventually expand our offerings to territories outside of the United States and Canada.

Reply from AS:
Dear cesar_eeg,
Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately due to licensing and copyright issues we are currently unable to offer our Super HiRez downloads to those customers outside of the United States and Canada. We do hope to be able to eventually expand our offerings to territories outside of the United States and Canada.

You could try writing directly to the label, although I suspect they'll tell you that they, too, are restricted by the same distribution agreement that they signed with Acoustic Sounds. But who knows? Perhaps they're working on a "rest of the world" agreement with someone like Qobuz.

https://cantaloupemusic.com/contact

You could try writing directly to the label, although I suspect they'll tell you that they, too, are restricted by the same distribution agreement that they signed with Acoustic Sounds. But who knows? Perhaps they're working on a "rest of the world" agreement with someone like Qobuz.

https://cantaloupemusic.com/contact
Hi,
What nice people they are! I reached Adam Cuthbert and he made a proposal I could not reject. A simple exchange in Bandcamp and voilà, he shared with me the Atmos file.
I should try with Pearl Jam's management :)

Does anyone know if the 5.1 mix is available on the Band camp site as an option (or add-on) for the disk set?
Alternate possibilities - 1) that the DVD can be played headless (without video and and menu choices by video - as many Bluray releases do where you can select mixes with the color buttons on the player). 2) that Acoustic Sounds offers a 5.1 (possibly lossless ?) download besides the Atmos one.
It seems none of the sites make the download options clear before you order the piece.
I haven't actually seen a bandcamp multichannel download option - but I may have just missed it..

**Edited to add: I use a Front Projection system that has loud enough fan noise to mess up the sound in this kind of recording...

Does anyone know if the 5.1 mix is available on the Band camp site as an option (or add-on) for the disk set?
Alternate possibilities - 1) that the DVD can be played headless (without video and and menu choices by video - as many Bluray releases do where you can select mixes with the color buttons on the player). 2) that Acoustic Sounds offers a 5.1 (possibly lossless ?) download besides the Atmos one.
It seems none of the sites make the download options clear before you order the piece.
I haven't actually seen a bandcamp multichannel download option - but I may have just missed it..

**Edited to add: I use a Front Projection system that has loud enough fan noise to mess up the sound in this kind of recording...

Cantaloupe doesn't sell 5.1 downloads on their Bandcamp site, unfortunately--or at their own website, as far as I know.

The DVD won't play headlessly, as it contains both the 5.1 mix and a hi-res stereo mix, and I'm pretty you have to choose--on-screen, not with remote buttons--before playing. (But: maybe you can set your player to "prefer" multi-channel DVD when there's a choice? In that case, hitting "play" after inserting the disc might do what you want it to...)

Acoustic sounds has a 96/24 5.1 download. Not cheap--although their 15% sale on downloads (code: SUPER15) runs through the end of the week, I think:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/..._Desert-FLAC_Multichannel_96kHz24bit_Download

Last edited:
Back