John Mellencamp Scarecrow ATMOS Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another lost opportunity to sell the blu-ray surround mix disc to me. No interest in vinyl - that's a step backwards. Will never understand the logic of these packages. Why would you probably sell 100 units @ $100, versus certainly selling 1,000 @ $40. There are so many of us that just want the blu-ray disc and that's it! Keep the vinyl separate for those few that want a "warm" sound.

There appears to be a never-ending supply of gormless individuals in the music business, no wonder we gush over the few that get it...they're preventing us from going clinically insane.
Hmmm, it seems to me the gormless are those who quixotically cling to the notion it’s still 2002.

Making more money makes sense regardless of what year it is.
Again, no offense, but this sums up the myopically naive thinking by many here.

It's not as simple as "make 2,000 copies and sell them for $30 and make $60,000". There are also costs in putting out a physical product - costs of production, costs of inventory, legal costs, administrative costs, middle man costs, retailer costs, promotional costs, returns, etc. And the fewer the number of units, the smaller the economies of scale.

So what is the actual profit for the label on that $60,000 in revenues? 10 or 20%? Maybe? What is the artist's take on that $60,000? 10 or 20%? Maybe? And that's not taking into consideration compensation for the time and effort they may have put into a physical release. Then there is the opportunity cost of fewer streaming subscriptions - which is a semi-perpetual and evenly spread out revenue stream. For a physical copy, you get revenue once and then you have no control whatsoever after that. With streaming, the one time revenue MIGHT be less, but it's perpetual and you have a far greater control over the product....your product.

Why do you think software companies have moved away from selling you a copy of their software and instead renting it to you via an annual license - or make the purchase option expensive, unupgradable, and lacking extras? And as much as folks romanticize music and think it should be shared with the people - in the exact form they want it - it's the music BUSINESS. And from a business perspective, music is just software.

In the end, physical discs - particularly surround discs in 2023 - are basically a labor of love for labels/artists. Some are okay with it; most aren't. It's not puzzling at all that we're seeing so few surround physical releases or, when they do happen, they're maximizing their profit by bundling them as carrots (with, yes, vinyl) for a high margin premium product.

If people want to complain for catharsis, great. But, by and large, you're yelling at speeding trains.

....Then there is the opportunity cost of fewer streaming subscriptions - which is a semi-perpetual and evenly spread out revenue stream. For a physical copy, you get revenue once and then you have no control whatsoever after that. With streaming, the one time revenue MIGHT be less, but it's perpetual and you have a far greater control over the product....your product.....
Yep. You can shear a sheep many times but you can skin him only once. So of course you are correct.

However, you've over-simplified it a bit. How many times have these sheep bought a physical copy on various formats and versions of the same recordings of our favorites?

A few percentage points count - it's why when you notice the loss you change your product (Subway's bread ingredients, fake colors in Kraft Mac/Chs etc)
The difference is, that industry can accurately pinpoint the loss, this industry cannot because it's easy to put it down to "people don't buy stuff anymore"

We're talking about products where the vast majority of the work is already done.

Another lost opportunity to sell the blu-ray surround mix disc to me. No interest in vinyl - that's a step backwards.
I'm so with you. At least once a week, I search through ebay looking for JUST the bluray of various albums I want. For the most part, it's fruitless but just a couple of weeks ago, I did finally find Tragically Hip Road Apples BluRay for $10.00. A price so low, I was certain I was getting scammed and the CD would show up. But this box set nonsense is depriving me of hearing albums I love in surround and depriving some companies of my easily-parted-with money.

Yep. You can shear a sheep many times but you can skin him only once. So of course you are correct.

However, you've over-simplified it a bit. How many times have these sheep bought a physical copy on various formats and versions of the same recordings of our favorites?
That’s great. But I’ll repeat, it’s not 2002 anymore. Once this last round of baby boom legacy box sets has milked their audience once last time, that’s gonna be pretty much it for physical digital media.

What’s bizarre isn’t the cathartic banging of heads against a wall, but the repeating theme of people truly puzzled by it all and rationalizing that somehow the industry is foolishly leaving money on the table.

To paraphrase Hemingway…”how did physical digital discs die? Gradually, then suddenly”. IMO, we’re somewhere around the end of the gradually and the beginning of the suddenly phases.

That’s great. But I’ll repeat, it’s not 2002 anymore. Once this last round of baby boom legacy box sets has milked their audience once last time, that’s gonna be pretty much it for physical digital media.

What’s bizarre isn’t the cathartic banging of heads against a wall, but the repeating theme of people truly puzzled by it all and rationalizing that somehow the industry is foolishly leaving money on the table.

To paraphrase Hemingway…”how did physical digital discs die? Gradually, then suddenly”. IMO, we’re somewhere around the end of the gradually and the beginning of the suddenly phases.
Confronting and most likely true. The Hemingway reference is perfectly used here.

I notice you never miss a chance to bang your drum about the demise of physical media and I keep saying you are correct, but what I can't understand is why, after a while, you don't just let people foolishly believe what they wish. It's like you can't stand it. You have to make sure they know that they are fooling themselves. Why can't you just let them live in ignorant bliss?

Back