• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

John Prine Dead at 73

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
This morning John Prine’s wife gave an update, stating that his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.
Very happy to hear that. Johns music has always spoke to his generation, his latest called "The Tree of Forgivness" is one of his best ever, I love it.
John, It's not you time yet, God can wait for your music. ;)

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
This morning John Prine’s wife gave an update, stating that his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.
Unfortunately, she later clarified that "stable" does not mean "improving".

Spent some time earlier trying to get a broadcast-quality copy of "Sam Stone" but everything Tidal has contains what I assumed was a digital glitch near the end during the final "Don't stop..." So I gave up and grabbed my obscure 1974 vinyl compilation and found that what I thought was someone's inability to copy a CD without errors is in fact some oddity baked into the analog master.

It's somewhat less obvious on Tidal's "master audio" version, but it's still there.

georgeshannon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Spent some time earlier trying to get a broadcast-quality copy of "Sam Stone" but everything Tidal has contains what I assumed was a digital glitch near the end during the final "Don't stop..." So I gave up and grabbed my obscure 1974 vinyl compilation and found that what I thought was someone's inability to copy a CD without errors is in fact some oddity baked into the analog master.

It's somewhat less obvious on Tidal's "master audio" version, but it's still there.
Made me listen and look. I have the Atlantic 19156-2 CD. I listened to track 4 - Sam Stone because I don't recall ever hearing a digital glitch in the last "Don't stop to count the years" line. Didn't hear it and didn't see it when I viewed it in Sound Forge. I included that 5 second line here and, with luck, a copy of the wave file at 96x magnification. Can you help me understand what you are hearing? Thanks.
John Prine - Sam Stone last Dont stop to count the years.jpg

Attachments

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Made me listen and look. I have the Atlantic 19156-2 CD. I listened to track 4 - Sam Stone because I don't recall ever hearing a digital glitch in the last "Don't stop to count the years" line. Didn't hear it and didn't see it when I viewed it in Sound Forge. I included that 5 second line here and, with luck, a copy of the wave file at 96x magnification. Can you help me understand what you are hearing? Thanks.
Your sample matches what I hear as well. I don't think the problem is digital (well, it can't be since it's on the vinyl as well), but listen carefully to the word "Don't". *Something* is happening. Try headphones--I literally never once noticed until I did, but now I can't un-hear it. I don't see it on a waveform view either, but I just tried spectral and it's pretty obvious there:

SamStone.JPG

It kinda sounds like tape dropout, but it's odd to me that it would show like that in the spectral view. I'd expect fewer high frequencies rather than a spike.

Group builder