John Williams & Anne-Sophie Mutter: Live in Vienna Blu-ray in August 2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

This will be released on Blu-ray by Deutsche Grammophon in August, with a Dolby Atmos track. This text comes from jpc.de, and I have edited it slightly for legibility, but the first portion is still a bit stiff.

0028948390458.jpg

The legendary American film composer John Williams conducts the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra for the first time - "Visit from the dear God" was the title of the standard, "standing upright jubilant choirs at their first appearance: as if God was received by earthly disciples John Williams in Vienna documents the historical performance - "a very special honour" in the life of the composer Symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Vienna Musikverein - the world-famous orchestra plays cult themes from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and other milestones in film history. Star guest Anne-Sophie Mutter with adaptations for violin arranged especially for her by Williams Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park - the soundtracks of the master of cinematic magic John Williams are among the most popular in the history of film and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Oscars, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. "Star moments of film music" was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, "Hollywood's grandmaster thrilled audiences with excerpts from his life's work at the Vienna Philharmonic."

Williams' two concerts at the Vienna Musikverein on 18 and 19 January 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic was "a very special honour" in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. Thus the conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars. The new album "John Williams in Vienna" combines cult themes from E. T., Great White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations, specially arranged by Williams for Mother, for violin of "Devil's Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick and "Raider's March" from Indiana Jones: Hunters of the Lost Treasure. Of course, the world-famous "Imperial March" from Star Wars should not be missing. "One of the best performances of this march that I have ever heard," Williams noted.

The limited Deluxe Edition "John Williams - Live in Vienna" is the only version that contains the unique concert experience on Blu-ray with additional 6 tracks. Including a breathtaking Dolby Atmos surround sound mix for the perfect concert experience at home (available as video and audio-only version) As a bonus: an interview by Anne-Sophie Mutter and John Williams from the Vienna Musikverein. The standard CD as well as Blu-ray disc is presented in a high-quality digipack in Blu-ray format with a noble gold foil look on the cover.

This is from a review of the actual concert. I posted here because others may also be curious about the likely tracks:

FIRST HALF

• The Flight to Neverland from “Hook”
  • Excerpts from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”
  • Hedwig’s Theme from “Harry Potter” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • Theme from “Sabrina” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • Donnybrook Fair from “Far and Away” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • Devil’s Dance from “The Witches of Eastwick” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter
  • Adventures on Earth from “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial”
SECOND HALF

• Theme from “Jurassic Park”
  • Dartmoor, 1912 from “War Horse”
  • Out to Sea and the Shark Cage Fugue from “Jaws”
  • Marion’s Theme from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
  • The Rebellion Is Reborn from “Star Wars VIII – The Last Jedi”
  • Luke & Leia from “Star Wars VI – Return of the Jedi”
  • Main Title from “Star Wars IV – A New Hope”
ENCORES

• Nice to Be Around from “Cinderella Liberty” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • The Duel from “The Adventures of Tintin” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • Remembrances from “Schindler’s List” – With Anne-Sophie Mutter (audio)
  • Raiders March from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
  • The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme) from “Star Wars V – The Empire Strikes Back”

This is part of a project the two did called Across the Stars, which is a wonderful album (sadly, stereo only, but I believe in high-res). Mutter was married (and then divorced but friendly) with Williams's close friend Andre Previn, who sadly passed recently. A news piece about it: John Williams And Anne-Sophie Mutter, 2 Geniuses For The Price Of One

This is a bit of a stunner. The ATMOS mix is largely orchestra in the front speakers with the rest being used for audience/ambience but, overall, it's a very immersive mix. Couple this with an excellent performance and recording and DG have a real winner with this. The bonus conversation between Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter is also well worth seeing. Highly recommended. :LB:LB:LB

Last edited:
This is a bit of a stunner. The ATMOS mix is largely orchestra in the front speakers with the rest being used for audience/ambience but, overall, it's a very immersive mix. Couple this with an excellent performance and recording and DG have a real winner with this. The bonus conversation between Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter is also well worth seeing. Highly recommended. :LB:LB:LB

Ambience and audience in rears? Hell no. That is not immersive. Very disapointing and pointless in having an ATMOS mix.

Ambience and audience in rears? Hell no. That is not immersive. Very disapointing and pointless in having an ATMOS mix.

This seems to follow a trend which DGG inagurated back in the early 70's when they embarked on Quadraphonic recording. Save for only a couple of DGG releases produced by QUAD pioneer Thomas Mowrey whose QUAD master recordings of Leonard Bernstein's Carmen and Scott Joplin's opera Treemonisha were DISCRETE and are NOW available [for the very first time] on splendid Pentatone QUAD SACD remasters, almost all of their QUAD ventures contained ambient rears, ONLY.

Last edited:
This seems to follow a trend which DGG inagurated back in the early 70's when they embarked on Quadraphonic recording. Save for only a couple of DGG releases produced by QUAD pioneer Thomas Mowrey whose QUAD Vinyl recordings of Leonard Bernstein's Carmen and Scott Joplin's opera Treemonisha were DISCRETE and are NOW available on splendid Pentatone QUAD SACD remasters, almost all of their QUAD ventures contained ambient rears, ONLY.
It's also a live recording, so it's not like you can be all that radical with the mix anyway. For a live classical recording I have no problem with concert hall sound, especially if there's no offstage instruments.

It's also a live recording, so it's not like you can be all that radical with the mix anyway. For a live classical recording I have no problem with concert hall sound, especially if there's no offstage instruments.

I was tempted to add that tidbit of info but felt it would only infuriate those who when they see the moniker ATMOS expect a whole lot of 'effects' flying overhead akin to those big budget Marvel movies.

Perhaps one day, Williams will give his fans what they want if he decides to push the ATMOS envelope and record his movie extravaganzas at Skywalker Ranch replete with full blown overhead effects, perhaps even with full visual accompaniment but until that time, IF EVER, ambience and audience applause in the overhead/rears is what you'll get.

I was tempted to add that tidbit of info but felt it would only infuriate those who when they see the moniker ATMOS expect a whole lot of 'effects' flying overhead akin to those big budget Marvel movies.

Perhaps one day, Williams will give his fans what they want if he decides to push the ATMOS envelope and record his movie extravaganzas at Skywalker Ranch replete with full blown overhead effects, perhaps even with full visual accompaniment but until that time, IF EVER, ambience and audience applause in the overhead/rears is what you'll get.
You do not need 'effects', just put instruments in rears and overhead.

Listen to Hans Zimmer Live in Prague.

I am not equipped for ATMOS but, IMO, that Hans Zimmer Live in Prague disc WAS sensational...even in 5.1.

Unfortunately, Williams has yet to make a recording with fully discrete elements....including a number of SACDs. Surprising, considering most of his rousing themes accompany blockbuster highly discrete motion pics.

I am not equipped for ATMOS but, IMO, that Hans Zimmer Live in Prague disc WAS sensational...even in 5.1.

Unfortunately, Williams has yet to make a recording with fully discrete elements....including a number of SACDs. Surprising, considering most of his rousing themes accompany blockbuster highly discrete motion pics.
What about the Jaws Soundtrack? I need to given it a relisten, admittedly.

What about the Jaws Soundtrack? I need to given it a relisten, admittedly.

From my recollection it was ambient rears only, ubertrout. But like yourself, need to give it another spin.

EDIT: JAWS was never released as a Multi~CH SACD. According to Scjorne, it was released on CD~4 discrete Vinyl in Japan.

Last edited:
Back