John Williams in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone got their hands to the Vienna live blu ray?
How is it? in terms of setlist, mixing, etc..
I've only played this on Tidal. Not an aggressive mix. Mainly front focused, with ambiance and some reflection in rears. Makes you feel like your in the audience with the orchestra in front of you.

Great music, great performance, lackluster surround sound mix.
Not much more to add to these comments. Just a shame that Dolby Atmos, being the latest buzzword, is being used on a few releases with little or no effect.
On this release the sound is fuller but it's a typical live show recording with minimal action in the rears, or above.SHAME.
But to end on a positive, it's a great show.

Is there a separate pure audio release? I'm getting the BD-video and don't expect an aggressive mix, but that's fine - I don't know if that's a great fit for live classical anyway.
There's a selection of pure audio tracks on the Blu-ray which match the track listing for the CD although the audience noise from the video element is excluded. I really like the surround mix as it reflects the feeling of being in the concert hall which seems to be fairly standard for these type of classical concerts.

I watched several of the YouTube clips from this performance. It is clear from those that the audio and video quality is top-notch, as are the performances. I will be ordering as soon as Amazon has it back in stock. For something like this, I’m not too worried that the surround is relegated to reverb / ambience. If anything, hopefully it adds realism and spaciousness to the sound.

A SUPERB concert in every sense but even in 5.1, there are NO discrete elements but don't allow that to deter you from experiencing ONE ENCHANTING EVENING with Maestro Williams and his brilliant orchestra and guests! Video and Audio are TOP NOTCH!

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODc4NTQxNC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE1ODg3ODI5OTB9

If only it didn't feature that Anne-Sophie Mutter person. I really dislike her style on these Williams tracks.

Back