Johnny Nash, 80, passes from natural causes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.I.P. Johnny 🎤

See the source image

1940 ~ 2020 🌹 SEEING MORE CLEARLY NOW ..... THAN EVER!

Last edited:
Another Quad artist gone...

I still remember the first time I heard "I Can See Clearly Now" on the AM radio in my '72 Chevy Nova. Great car! 307 V8. I added a cassette later. First new car I had.

RIP

Time to fire up the SQD-2020 and play my SQ "My Merry-Go Round."

Last edited:
I like "I Can See Clearly Now" just fine because I'm not a monster, but I'm surprised that "Hold Me Tight" doesn't seem to be as well-remembered.

Might be a good day to digitize the reel...
I did needle drops to digital of several of his albums including the one with Hold Me Tight. Soul Folk album is a favorite, I think from 1966, it’s got the 3D card glued to the front like some albums had. Was it JAD Records?

The ABC period is very fine sounding recording and production.

The best sounding pressing of his big hit ICSCN is not on the LP but actually on a Columbia Records comp called 70s Hit 45s. It’s one of those records that jumps outta the speakers at you. Maybe it’s because they used a stereo single mix tape, or they simply EQ’d it differently on this LP, but it’s a stunner. The comp also has The Most Beautiful Girl which sounds amazing. Usually hit comps do not improve things that much over an original single or LP.

Last edited:
Was it JAD Records?

You're right! I never could have remembered that in a million years!

I'm looking at the back of the reel box for the Hold Me Tight album and see songwriting credits for Nash himself, Peter Tosh, Sam Cook and Ahmet Ertegun. And he covers Sam Cooke's "Cupid".

Really need to check this one out again, but I'm scared of doing anything at all that will make me miss a plumber's phone call. This is day four without hot water and I'm losing what little mind I ever had.

I hate to be a downer, but, all or at least most of our musical heros are at that age where these things are going to happen, we dont live forever (unless we are vampires) and some of our heroes have put so much harmful stuff into there bodies over the years that it's done major harm, physically and mentally. Just feel lucky that you were around to appreciate them, while they were alive and that they brought HAPPINESS, JOY & LAUGHTER to your own life. :)

Back