Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived yesterday from Cherry Red. It’s a really great reissue with fantastic packaging. There are 2 booklets - one with the lyrics and one with a history of the album, interview with Jon and lots of great pics of memorabilia / press articles / artwork from the era.

In relation to the upmix, being fair to Cherry Red it had never been said to be anything else. I’m assuming that most people reading this therefore know the limitations of that process. Olias would be a great candidate for unpicking some of the shortcomings (IMO) of the original production/ mix - but without master tapes that can’t happen. Therefore when it comes to the surround version, it’s really just a slightly more spread out version. Listening to it from start to finish I found that listening to the hi res stereo mix was a much more satisfying experience than the surround and I ended up switching back to it. I found that in the Upmix some of the detail was lost in the attempt to spread the sound out, whereas the stereo has everything in its proper place.

Overall I’m really happy with this as a purchase at the price. As far as Yes solo albums go, I don’t hold this one in as high regard as many but respect it as something unique in the catalogue. The CD and the 96k/24-bit versions are very nicely done and sound much better than my Atlantic CDs. The surround is a nice bonus if you think of it as a freebie. If the surround is the only reason you’re buying it, you could be disappointed.

So today I'm having another listen, yesterday I listened to the DTS my go to format if LPCM is not available and was extremely unimpressed. Today I have banged up the rears a bit more and chosen Dolby instead and I swear it sounds better, not a whole lot, but better, This phenomenon has happened before but I can't remember at the moment what it was.
I had no problem with Rick Wakeman's upmix, you'd be hard pressed to tell it was one.

Having said it sounds better with the Dolby, I've listened to Olias first then The Band - Stage Fright, Al Stewart - Year of the Cat and Be-Bop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic in that order, the last three are vastly superior!

"In Search of the Lost Chord"?
Yea that does ring a bell.

I'm torn on this one. I have no problem overall with up-mixes, especially when I remember what a good job Steve Wilson did with KC's "The Devil's Triangle" on In The Wake Of Poseidon. That proved even an up-mix could sound impressive!

The track I was most looking forward to was "Qoquaq Ën Transic"/"Naon"/"Transic Tö". I love spacey ambient music like this, and that could be mind blowing to hear swirling around.

I'm torn on this one. I have no problem overall with up-mixes, especially when I remember what a good job Steve Wilson did with KC's "The Devil's Triangle" on In The Wake Of Poseidon. That proved even an up-mix could sound impressive!

The track I was most looking forward to was "Qoquaq Ën Transic"/"Naon"/"Transic Tö". I love spacey ambient music like this, and that could be mind blowing to hear swirling around.

The upmixed parts of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" (also Wilson) sound pretty spectacular as well.

I am actually looking forward to talking Olias, but yeah. It'd have been magical of the multitrack masters had been found.

Mine arrived yesterday from Cherry Red. It’s a really great reissue with fantastic packaging. There are 2 booklets - one with the lyrics and one with a history of the album, interview with Jon and lots of great pics of memorabilia / press articles / artwork from the era.

In relation to the upmix, being fair to Cherry Red it had never been said to be anything else. I’m assuming that most people reading this therefore know the limitations of that process. Olias would be a great candidate for unpicking some of the shortcomings (IMO) of the original production/ mix - but without master tapes that can’t happen. Therefore when it comes to the surround version, it’s really just a slightly more spread out version. Listening to it from start to finish I found that listening to the hi res stereo mix was a much more satisfying experience than the surround and I ended up switching back to it. I found that in the Upmix some of the detail was lost in the attempt to spread the sound out, whereas the stereo has everything in its proper place.

Overall I’m really happy with this as a purchase at the price. As far as Yes solo albums go, I don’t hold this one in as high regard as many but respect it as something unique in the catalogue. The CD and the 96k/24-bit versions are very nicely done and sound much better than my Atlantic CDs. The surround is a nice bonus if you think of it as a freebie. If the surround is the only reason you’re buying it, you could be disappointed.

Now you've gone and got me reconsidering this...

Those booklets would be a big part of the appeal- how legible are they? Many booklets are too tough for these old eyes, even with reading glasses.

Where are US buyers getting this? Shipping from Cherry Red is exorbitant...

Now you've gone and got me reconsidering this...

Those booklets would be a big part of the appeal- how legible are they? Many booklets are too tough for these old eyes, even with reading glasses.

Where are US buyers getting this? Shipping from Cherry Red is exorbitant...
US buyers are probably getting it from importcds.

I went down the rabbit hole a little comparing a few different copies.
I had a US pressing originally. The first CD issue in 1990 (Japanese import) was an upgrade and I've had that copy this whole time.

I found rips of a UK 1st pressing and a German pressing, the SACD from 2014, and a newer Japan CD from 2011. After all that, the 1st 1990 Japan CD still wins! The UK vinyl rip was a close 2nd though. Not sure what I expected there. The newer 2011 CD was volume war boosted and suffers from it. The SACD sounded awful with some harsh eq work or whatever someone did.

Obviously lots of variables in the vinyl! More surprised one was close than expecting one to be better but you never know. I do in fact know how to transcode DSD to 24/88.2 PCM. I have SACD copies of various things that are the very best copies. I'm critiquing the recording here. There are probably a few more CD releases that I didn't look for.

Cranking up Solid Space and Moon Ra again was great though! :)

I've had numerous bad experiences with both Import CDs and their sister company Deep Discount. I refuse to buy from them- horrible customer service. I'd rather pay a bit more than give them any of my business.

Best I've seen is Target at $19.97.
Very good price at Target. Who'da thunk it? Is that online or at the stores? What's the shipping costs if online?

Very good price at Target. Who'da thunk it? Is that online or at the stores? What's the shipping costs if online?

Online. It's a pre-order so not in stores.

Shipping is free w/ $35 order, so I'm looking to get Song of Seven Expanded as well. In for a penny...

If they had Animation pre-order, I'd go for the trifecta!

Online. It's a pre-order so not in stores.

Shipping is free w/ $35 order, so I'm looking to get Song of Seven Expanded as well. In for a penny...

If they had Animation pre-order, I'd go for the trifecta!
Thanks... I went to Targets webpage & saw what you mention. ( Jon Anderson- Olias Of... with tax, shipping it's: $27.07. By far best overall price I'd seen)
I also see they have the Jethro Tull (A La Mode)- 40th Anniversary Edition but it's priced at $42.49. Sort of high even if the shipping's free.
But Targets a good source I'll keep in mind.
You know, I tend to agree that importcds' customer service can be sort of slow & unresponsive at times just as you said. But I've found that they do eventually get it right & are often excellent .
i.e., I recently canceled an order, that hadn't shipped yet, because I couldn't add on an additional item to it. They responded within 1 day & I got the refund the next day. I call that good service!
Thanks again for the Target info :)

Last edited:
It's funny, the unlikely stuff you can find at Target online sometimes. I snagged more than one of my favorite portable music players there (Sansa Clip Zip), brand new, long after they were out of production. I now have 4 of them, in assorted colors. One for music, one for audiobooks, and 2 more to accidentally smash in the car door and dunk in my coffee... :confused:

As this only cost me £12.99 I'm not that concerned the up-mix is what it is.

If it had been circa a typical box set price so £60-£75 I wouldn't have been happy.

The DVD stereo sounds good, I have this on the original LP, CD, Japanese CD & AF SACD, and it was never the most 'clear' of recordings. This is a 'nice' package, plenty of info. So Ok for the price.
I completely agree. Esp when you compare it to Fish out of Water which had a great sound mix and a record, but cost around 7 times as much

Ok

So is this worth buying for the new stereo masteriing then?
I have the original lp and the AF stereo sacd.
If this new version is significantly better I would go for it.
The upmix is of no consequence to me.

Received my copy tonight. I like the packaging. The visuals are pretty cool. Listening to the DTS 5.1. So far I don’t mind the upmix. I wish it wasn’t an upmix, but what can you do. I’ve heard worse and I heard better. I find it front heavy not much drawing my attention to the rears. Luckily, it is a reasonably priced 2 disc set. I’m pretty happy with the purchase.

I just received this. First impression (before even listening to it): I just have to say that I have no doubt that the artwork looked gorgeous on an LP record. It still kind of does on a CD-sized booklet, except that you can't read a damn thing of it.

I'm listening to it now. I'm going to agree with the above poster who said that the Dolby track seems to have a bit more "oomph" than the DTS track, just from switching back and forth a couple of times (I haven't done some full comparison). Anyway, it's quite an enjoyable experience so far, despite it being an upmix.

Back