Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not like any of his other solo work. It is at times ethereal...and has been cited as an early instance of 'New Age' -- but it's also earthy and weird, not bland. It's easily his best.

It's a dense mix at times, which makes it a real shame the multitracks could not be found.

Well, having bought the original LP (and cassette for the car) back when it came out (and loved it, along with Chris's solo album), then the CD, then the AF SACD, this is an instant pre-order for me. Shame Steven Wilson didn't get to even (up)mix it, but it makes me mad/sad when I read stuff like this: "Alas, despite extensive research, the multi-track masters of the album cannot be found."

I'm not saying people/companies responsible for "losing" the original masters should be up against the wall at dawn, but unless it's Anderson himself (who gets a pass), I think they should have to explain themselves before the International Court Of Justice in The Hague for "Crimes against Music".

And let the verdict be reached by a packed jury, composed entirely of YES fans. :p

The 5 albums SW remixed were the only ones the label and band could find.
Are you sure of this? Because I read him say he only does albums he really likes and that his time is limited, and can't do all of the albums he'd like to do. And I find it odd that the oldest classic Yes albums had all multitrack tapes available, yet these later ones are said missing - when it is so often the opposite, older vintage tapes are more likely to get lost along the way. Or a particular album gets lost along the way, but not all later albums.

Big pass from me if it's an upmix. A song or two is fine (if absolutely necessary) but I wouldn't pay for a set just for something I can play through my stereo on surround and get relatively the same results.
Upmixes are insulting to us fans that have paid hundreds of dollars, ...and decades of waiting for our favorites to appear in 4.0 quad or 5.1 mixed versions. I agree, a song or two to get the project going and off the ground is one thing, but that's about it. There are too many albums that the multis are not lost that they can do rather than mess around with upmixes.

Didn't Anderson record this in his own home studio?
Maybe he lost the tapes...
Yes I'm fairly certain he did, the LP says recorded at Seer Green which I assume was his house!

Or, maybe he lost his HOME!
Rick Wakeman used to have a Sunday morning radio show on Planet Rock (always funny) and he told a story of getting Jon Anderson a great room in a hotel on the Isle Of Man as he had wanted to paint and thus wanted something suitably inspiring. So the hotel owner made sure he had a room with a great view, Mr. Wakeman gets a call from the owner and goes down to see the painting, causing Mr. Wakeman much mirth ....... it was of a flower! So my guess is the tapes were easily mislaid!

Can anyone still access the Cherry Red site for the reissue (not a cached version)?
I can't access the Cherry Red site at all at the moment, not just for Olias. Their website has done this to me before, so hopefully just temporary problem their end.

Back