Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should know this, but: do we know that the tapes are missing or incomplete for those 3 (GFTO, Tormato, Drama)--or is it just that Wilson wasn't previously interested in doing them?

I think "90125" is also amongst the missing and presumed dead. And that's probably one of my favourites from the Yes Catalogue . To me that is their mighty comeback album .

But I sure wouldn't mind a 5.1 of "Time And A Word". That early album really takes me back to my late teens.

🍼

Slightly old thread, but didn't wanna ruin the fun people have in the poll thread - I'm still mad. Seething, even.

Man when this thing was announced I got so hyped, I put that preorder in RIGHT AWAY because y'know, Olias is screaming to be multichannel with its wide soundstage and immersive atmosphere. I smashed that "Cancel preorder" button so hard and so bitterly when it was revealed to be an upmix however many days later.

The worst part is, I knew, deep in my grey matter. I thought to myself, "Wow, isn't that the one Jon recorded and mixed in his garage? The same Olias that took an entire night to get the sync on the multitracks right to make a master? They did *that* album in 5.1?" I knew it wasn't plausible, but I had hope. Hope crushed :) I know some people still like the upmix but Olias hurt my soul, very sad.

Can we have uhhhh Animation in 5.1? Oh wait, the tapes for that are long gone too, right? How about uhhh City of Angels? Earthmotherearth? The more plausible choice would be the Anderson/Stolt collab Invention of Knowledge from 2016, or maybe 1000 Hands pt1. All dreams in the metaphorical winds of surround music, the most frustrating format.

And yes, I am entirely too invested.

Slightly old thread, but didn't wanna ruin the fun people have in the poll thread - I'm still mad. Seething, even.

Man when this thing was announced I got so hyped, I put that preorder in RIGHT AWAY because y'know, Olias is screaming to be multichannel with its wide soundstage and immersive atmosphere. I smashed that "Cancel preorder" button so hard and so bitterly when it was revealed to be an upmix however many days later.

The worst part is, I knew, deep in my grey matter. I thought to myself, "Wow, isn't that the one Jon recorded and mixed in his garage? The same Olias that took an entire night to get the sync on the multitracks right to make a master? They did *that* album in 5.1?" I knew it wasn't plausible, but I had hope. Hope crushed :) I know some people still like the upmix but Olias hurt my soul, very sad.

Can we have uhhhh Animation in 5.1? Oh wait, the tapes for that are long gone too, right? How about uhhh City of Angels? Earthmotherearth? The more plausible choice would be the Anderson/Stolt collab Invention of Knowledge from 2016, or maybe 1000 Hands pt1. All dreams in the metaphorical winds of surround music, the most frustrating format.

There was talk that Roine Stolt was doing a mix of Invention of Knowledge in 5.1 back in June of 2017. I asked him about it at Cruise to the Edge in 2019, but there wasn't any progress being made on it.

There was talk that Roine Stolt was doing a mix of Invention of Knowledge in 5.1 back in June of 2017. I asked him about it at Cruise to the Edge in 2019, but there wasn't any progress being made on it.
Haha that's great|awful news. Yet another album I'd die in an arson to have in multichannel. Presumably that little project is dead now yes? I thought I read about Jon and Roine planning a second collab as well, ages ago.

How's about Jon Anderson and Vangelis-The Friends Of Mr. Cairo ?

Fans of "Olias of Sunhillow" (or just of Anderson), probably know he's been supposedly working on a follow-up "Zamran" for what seems like decades (46 years apparently). Well, maybe it's actually closer now (with a bit of "Tales From Topographic Oceans" thrown in as well):

This unusually long preview sounds promising. So promising that it made me play The Revealed Science of God :)
After all the issues he had with his voice, Jon is sounding rejuvenated

The worst part is, I knew, deep in my grey matter. I thought to myself, "Wow, isn't that the one Jon recorded and mixed in his garage? The same Olias that took an entire night to get the sync on the multitracks right to make a master?

That tale actually applies only to the track NAON, iirc.

Back