Jonatha Brooke

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I recently picked up this DVDA title from Tower on line, as they have samples on their site. The disc is called Steady Pull. It has an interesting mix of musical styles, some of which is a bit like Alanis Morisette, but I like her lyrics alot more. The dvd has extras like music videos and making of, etc. I don't really care much for that stuff, and my player is hooked up only to my stereo, not my tv for my own sanity. Anyway, the surround mix is also excellent! Very discrete where appropriate, not much at all in the rears at others. Particularly good is the song, 'how deep is your love'. This is not a cover of that awful BeeGees balad, this is a hot song. As the disc gets towards the end, there isn't quite enough of these hot blooded tracks, but all in all quite a bit of fun. Recommended. Anyone else got it?
Marc

Marcsten said:
I recently picked up this DVDA title from Tower on line, as they have samples on their site. The disc is called Steady Pull. It has an interesting mix of musical styles, some of which is a bit like Alanis Morisette, but I like her lyrics alot more. The dvd has extras like music videos and making of, etc. I don't really care much for that stuff, and my player is hooked up only to my stereo, not my tv for my own sanity. Anyway, the surround mix is also excellent! Very discrete where appropriate, not much at all in the rears at others. Particularly good is the song, 'how deep is your love'. This is not a cover of that awful BeeGees balad, this is a hot song. As the disc gets towards the end, there isn't quite enough of these hot blooded tracks, but all in all quite a bit of fun. Recommended. Anyone else got it?
Marc

I have the disc and I think it is great! Certainly an overlooked and/or underappreciated title. I can recommend this one along with Marc.

I recommend this one too! Good music and surround mix. Lots of extras including cool footage of the recording of this album w/ Bob Clearmountain in his "Mix This" studio!

Agree with all the positive comments, but i mostly want to know if she's going to do her new album in hi-res style - A question about this in her discussion forums (she usually chips in herself) has been left pointedly unanswered. Has anyone heard the the new album in 16/44.1?

Certainly an under-rated and fantastic dvd audio purchase. Having seen Jonatha live, this makes it even more enjoyable. The Clearmountain aspect is an added bonus. This a really high quality release, one that should not be overlooked. Sound quality 10, visuals 10, bonus features 10. Do yourself a favor, get this. As a fan of the female singer-songwriter genre, this a diamond in the rough. Support those poor lesser known artists that really tried to bring this medium to us true music fans!!!!

Cheap on Amazon Marketplace...just got a copy...for $3.75..

I've had "Steady Pull" for quite a few years, in fact it was my first DVD-A - I'm a big Jonatha fan and this album hit the spot for me on many levels, musically and sonically. She has an amazing voice and great songs. It's still available from her site (http://store.jonathabrooke.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=7) and I would recommend it very highly... I spoke to her after a show in London a while back, enthusing about "Steady Pull", and asked if there was going to be a surround version of her (then) new album "Back In The Circus". She told me there wouldn't, because it would be too expensive. (She's an independent, has her own label, Bad Dog Records, and I'm sure that for her, like anyone in this position, things are tight).

I did email her afterwards, offering to help out, but didn't get anywhere, which was sad.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my enthusiasm for this album, which was hugely inspiring for me when I was planning the Dorothee Munyaneza album, and remains so to this day.

Martin

Got this in the mail today....

Bob Clearmountain mix, Bob Ludwig mastering, nice vocals & Neil Finn on track 8 - New Dress!!!

I'm liking this one....

Thanks for the recomendation. Just got this and listened to it. A front heavy sound stage but very nice. I have heard that first song Linger before. Likeable music, very pleasant. Glad I got it.

I picked this up at a local used shop. It was a pleasant surprise, as I've enjoyed this album and earlier of hers in the past (Plumb and 10 cent wings were favorites in the 90s).

I found myself faintly annoyed at QQ for not surfacing this great release, since the polls have been great for discovery of multi-channel releases from the past two decades.

I picked this up at a local used shop. It was a pleasant surprise, as I've enjoyed this album and earlier of hers in the past (Plumb and 10 cent wings were favorites in the 90s).

I found myself faintly annoyed at QQ for not surfacing this great release, since the polls have been great for discovery of multi-channel releases from the past two decades.
Welcome to QQ, @atl. This disc shows up occasionally in the "Listening to Now" and "I Just Bought..." threads. (I think @Dillydipper was the most recent person to bring it up, in the Mary Fahl DSOTM thread.) But I agree: it deserves a poll--and ten people willing to vote for it so that it becomes "visible." Nice Bob Clearmountain mix.

Nice to see this album is still getting some love in 2020. Great music, great bonus stuff, great format! I'd happily contribute to a poll if one were instigated at this late hour...good to see the topic re-surfacing anyway.
Wow - I have not heard this one in years, but I should. It's terrific. IS she still around?

Back