HiRez Poll Jones, Norah - COME AWAY WITH ME [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Norah Jones - COME AWAY WITH ME

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
One of Bluenotes first SACD, from an artist who snuck up on the music world and took away the gold. Too bad her next release was not followed up with another SACD.

While this one is not a surround spectacular, it still merits a good listen. What do you all think about this one?

:-jon

The surround on this SACD is not one of the best, but i really like the music, and it is better to have it on SACD than regular CD. I usually go for the surround to rate a CD, but i had the regular CD of this first, and it just sounds a little better in surround. I gave it a 9, mostly for the great music, not the surround mix.

daved64 said:
At least give a score or mix rating....rather than a steaming doodee!

Oh, uh sorry, Dave! I'm sure the recording sounds great, It's the material I find boring. I just don't geddit.

Tom

Nora is certainly not for everyone. The material suits me perfectly as I get old and find I like the jazz undertones. The mix is certainly not exciting, but that would be horrible with material such as this. Overall, the mix matches the material, and I find the recording quality to be superb. I had listened to this material in other farmats before the SACD came out. When I got the disc home I thought it was a different album as the sound had so much hidden detail missing in the other formats. And to those who find her dull, well, someday you'll be older too! I never thought I would like this sort of thing either.
Marc (y)

The mix is a perfect 10 for Norah....but if you're not a fan, why bother with this one at all? I bought the 180g vinyl on this one, too....it's not up to Krall quality, but there is great promise here, and the mix, while conservative, is understandably so: just let her sing, keep it intimate and simple. In that context, not sure it could have been mixed better, really.

ED :)

To me this SACD just sounds more "open" the the stereo version. Not better or worse just different. The SACD does sound nice and clean though. I just get a little tired of hearing these songs. I would give this one an 8 for the sound of this disc and a 6 for performance so overall a 7.

I totally love this album but agree that the mix is rather blah. I gave it a 7. That being said, I do prefer the surround mix to the stereo mix, and agree that the surround mix "fits" the music, to a certain extent. However, it just has an aura of "they could have done so much more with this" about it...

So sexy! Her cover of "Cold, Cold Heart" is my favorite.

Did you read Stereophile's comparison of the SACD stereo track against the CD track - they're the same! This is a rip-off. Fortunately, the surround mix is full SACD quality.

This record also highlights one big advantage of SACD - pace. The beats are just so much more accurate. This quality has gotten me interested in British speakers (Spendor S5/e) that are very strong in pacing. What next, Naim electronics?

Great music. Perfect for a lazy Sunday morning.

Mix is blah. Definitely could've done more with it. Great albums deserve great mixes. This is not one of those mixes.

5 out of 10. mix reminds me of something that could be done with an Ambisonics-type upmix method. definitely the kind of mix where you listen and say "what's the point? i could have done more with this myself." underwhelming doesn't necessarily equate to bad, though, just average.

I really like the music, but the surround mix just sux. There is no rhyme or reason to the placement of instruments. Even worse is they move during the song. For example, on track 10 the guitar opening starts in the right rear, and when she starts singing, the guitar moves to the front. On an album of this type of music that makes no sense. Also, I don't think there is any bass below 200hz...no impact at all...

First sacd I regret buying...too bad...I give it a 5.

I gave this a 9. It has grown on me. I enjoyed this on cd but even more on SACD. I listen to this more as relaxing background music hence my higher rating. I just like her.

Crank up the rears 3db or so and it’s not so bad. Yes, they could have done more, but it does fit the music It IS the sort or album you just want to be “fuller” and not have stuff popping out all over the place. And it is better sounding than just the stereo version.

Yes. The album is filled with songs most of us don’t really need to ever hear again, but it isn’t Norah’s or the album’s fault that it caught fire and sold 20 bazillion copies and we all pretty much got sick of it. This generation’s “Tapestry” I suppose? So I won’t give low marks for that.

I’ll give an “8” Content is a “10”. Fidelity is “10”. Couple of points off for lackluster surround mix that should have been louder in the rears at the very least

When Analogue Productions released a batch of Norah Jones SACDs, Come Away With Me was actually remastered correcting the out of phase issue. Her additional Blue Note SACDs from AP were stereo only. I voted an 8 for AP's remastered multi~ch SACD!

See the source image

Original Blue Note Multi~ch SACD. Analogue Production's version was released in a Super Audio Jewel Case.

From a poster at SA~CD.net:

Here is the response I got from Analog Productions:

"The multichannel program on our Analogue Productions Norah Jones/Come Away With Me was remastered from the original SACD multichannel audio. There were some phase issues with the original that were corrected in the remastering and this reissued version does in fact sound dramatically better...."

Hope this helps somewhat.
I can verify this, as I was there :) - have heard both versions at the SA Center, and it most certainly was fixed.

The phase issue specifically was that the .1/LF channel was out of phase. It was fixed in this version. And does sound significantly better. (The low frequencies are no longer fighting the phase of your sub and it sounds a lot more full.)

So for that reason alone, if you're a MCh person, - it's reason to get it.​

Last edited:
I totally love this album but agree that the mix is rather blah. I gave it a 7. That being said, I do prefer the surround mix to the stereo mix, and agree that the surround mix "fits" the music, to a certain extent. However, it just has an aura of "they could have done so much more with this" about it...
I agree with Cai; I also own both versions, but the mix is too rear conservative for me. Heck, this is another one to play through the Involve mode - SMv2 and may even give a more satisfying listen.

Back