Quad LP/Tape Poll Jones, Quincy: Body Heat [SQ/CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/CD-4/Q8 of Quincy Jones - Body Heat

• 8 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Released in May of 1974, Body Heat features Quincy Jones usual Who's Who of R&B and jazz superstars (from Herbie Hancock and Bob James to Leon Ware and a young Minnie Riperton) and would go on to be his highest charting solo album, reaching #1 in both the Billboard R&B and Jazz Albums charts, and #6 in the pop charts.

It was released in quad on SQ LP and Q8 in the US (and probably Canada) and on CD-4 LP in Japan.

1613975881197.pngquincy-body-1.jpgquincy-body-2.jpg1613975961976.png

A&M QU-53617 [SQ LP] / A&M 8Q-53617 / A&M 4D-10 [CD-4 LP]
Discogs links: SQ LP / Q8 / CD-4
Wiki for the album: Body Heat

Quad remix at Westlake Audio by Phil Schier.

Side 1:
  1. Body Heat
  2. Soul Saga (Song of the Buffalo Soldier)
  3. Everything Must Change
  4. Boogie Joe The Grinder
  5. Reprise: Everything Must Change
Side 2:
  1. One Track Mind
  2. Just a Man
  3. Along Came Betty
  4. If I Ever Lose This Heaven

So I bought a second hand copy of this one a few years ago, maybe listened once and put it away. Last night I was playing some of my SQs that I have not heard in a while and saw it. Put it on. The music is very engaging and, dare I say it, catchy at times! I quite liked it. Just shows sometimes you gotta play a record more than once.
But the main thing is the mix. It has to be one of the best SQ mixes I have ever heard. Every song is very 'discrete'. It motivated me to reset the axial tilt on my Audionics tate. (OK it needed to be done anyways). There are songs where the main vocal is isolated in -- the right rear! In only one song is it center front. Then there are songs where there is a group of vocalists all singing a different part and each is in its own speaker. Think Black Water from the Doobies, but the are singing the same words, just different octaves and harmonies. That's a tough assignment for a decoder, but the tate knocked it out of the park. I am imagining the disappointment of the engineers in 1974 on the then-available decoders. A & M certainly had a mixed record (pun intended) when it came to their quad mixes, but this one is absolutely superb. I would have to say my current favorite SQ demo. Now I am looking for a cleaner copy and the other Quincy quads...
Music an 8 mix, and 11, so over all, a 9+

Back