Joni Mitchell / Archives Volume 1: The Early Years 1963-1967 box set 10/30/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this missive on the SHF yesterday about my experience trying to order Joni Mitchell’s Archives Vol. 1 boxed set from Oldies.com.

After seeing folks posting here that they finally received their order from Oldies.com, or at least received an email indicating their order was being shipped, I called Customer Service for the second time to check on the status of my order that was placed on October 29th. When I called the first time, they advised they were awaiting 151 units from the shipper of which 150 had already been sold, including one for me. When I called the second time, I was advised that all available units had been shipped and mine was shown as still being on back order. At that point, I asked they simply cancel the order. The Customer Service rep said it would take 10 to 14 days for the refund to show up on my PayPal account. I hope they do a better job at providing refunds than they do at filling orders.

I went ahead and placed an order with ImportCDs.com for this release and won’t be using Oldies.com for any further purchases, regardless of the cost savings.

Well, here's the coda to my sad story (although I won't consider the story to be truly over until the set is actually in my hands).

The person who gave me the phony report about all of those initial orders being cancelled and refunds issued told me to look for my PayPal refund within "a few days" of my last call. When it didn't appear, I called back--and eventually, on the second call, got connected with a supervisor, who was very kind and apologetic. He spent a few baffled minutes checking with his warehouse manager and his suppliers. He finally said they expected it back in stock soon, that one would be earmarked for me, and that they would expedite shipping and honor the original price.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, after cancelling my Oldies.com order, I ordered this boxed set from ImportCDs.com for about $5 more than Oldies.com was charging. It was shipped the next day and is scheduled to arrive here on Monday. Given the incorrect or false information previously provided by Oldies.com regarding the availability of this item, I think I will follow up with them to confirm my order was, in fact, cancelled and a refund was, or soon will be, credited to my PayPal account. The Customer Service rep told me it would take 10 - 14 days for a refund to show up, but its unclear why it would take that long.

At last, two and half months later:
IMG_20210105_131840108_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

The sleeve for CD 2 contains a smudged image of her old Detroit address. A close friend of mine used to live there, just off the campus of Wayne State University. They had a photo of Joni looking out the kitchen window taped next to the very kitchen window she was looking out of. He ended up burning the place down due to his propensity for falling asleep with lit cigarettes in his hand :(
IMG_3118.JPG

I guess it's better to come late to this party. I ordered from Amazon $45.49 on April 8th 2021 and arrived April 9th.
Beautiful box set, well constructed. I have not listened and I am sure will not be familiar with much, but I wanted to expand my musical knowledge of Joni Mitchell.

Back