Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Joni Mitchell has authorized her own archives releases, unreleased studio and live shows are being announced. Might there be re-release of quadraphonic and unreleased 5.1 mixes? We have a friend at Rhino who probably can't say anything right now, but...

Joni Mitchell has authorized her own archives releases, unreleased studio and live shows are being announced. Might there be re-release of quadraphonic and unreleased 5.1 mixes? We have a friend at Rhino who probably can't say anything right now, but...

Google is failing me. Got links?

(EDIT: Never mind--found the SHF thread.)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...-archives-first-volume-due-october-16.972960/
Apparently in 2007 there were 2-CD editions announced (and then cancelled) of Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Hejira? I won't hold my breath for quads and 5.1s. But Hope Springs Eternal and all that....Exciting news.

Last edited:
There's an announcement coming soon of her next archives set. I don't know what's on it (quad?), but I'm feeling optimistic...I should say no more.

I haven't found any clues. But in the search, I was led to this fascinating interview with A&M engineer Steve Katz, who worked on Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, and Mingus.
https://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=4622

I haven't found any clues. But in the search, I was led to this fascinating interview with A&M engineer Steve Katz, who worked on Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, and Mingus.
https://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=4622

Wonderful article, humprof. Now, more than ever, especially considering that Joni's voice has been silenced due to health issues, RHINO needs to release all Joni's albums, QUAD and STEREO as hi res Lossless BD~As.

IMO, all her albums are SPECIAL and that is an understatement.

That interview really illuminated how complex those recording sessions were and hopefully, with rumors that a few of Joni's early albums were remixed for QUAD but never released....those masters can be located, remastered and included in that box set which I'm sure would be a bonanza for RHINO and Joni Mitchell fans worldwide!

Wonderful article, humprof. Now, more than ever, especially considering that Joni's voice has been silenced due to health issues, RHINO needs to release all Joni's albums, QUAD and STEREO as hi res Lossless BD~As.

IMO, all her albums are SPECIAL and that is an understatement.

That interview really illuminated how complex those recording sessions were and hopefully, with rumors that a few of Joni's early albums were remixed for QUAD but never released....those masters can be located, remastered and included in that box set which I'm sure would be a bonanza for RHINO and Joni Mitchell fans worldwide!
One for Foraging Rhino to take up.
I suspect if they were not released originally that Joni is not going to clear them now. But the as an archive's release maybe

Joni's a natural for a Quadio box set; let's hope the powers that be at Rhino hear our pleas.

Her albums were on Reprise, which is WMG, not Universal.
She's been frequently cited in the media as one of the artists whose recordings were destroyed, and Universal have not denied it. Joni also recorded with Geffen records and they're owned by Universal. She even has the NYT report, which cites her as affected, on her own website:

"The list of destroyed single and album masters takes in titles by dozens of legendary artists, a genre-spanning who's who of 20th- and 21st-century popular music. It includes ... Joni Mitchell..."

Joni Mitchell Library - The Day the Music Burned: New York Times, June 11, 2019

Last edited:
Joni signed with Geffen in 1982. She released four albums with them before returning to Reprise in the 90's. Her 60's and 70's albums were all released through Reprise and Asylum, both Warner Brothers distributed labels. Geffen never acquired the rights to those albums. So presumably the only masters of Joni's that would have perished in the fire would have been those four Geffen albums.

I do love those Geffen era albums (especially Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm) so it would be a real shame if the multi-tracks went up in the fire, making a surround mix impossible. However, the quad masters for Court & Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns as well as the multi-tracks for all the other 60's and 70's albums should thankfully be in the possession of the Warner associated labels.

Joni signed with Geffen in 1982. She released four albums with them before returning to Reprise in the 90's. Her 60's and 70's albums were all released through Reprise and Asylum, both Warner Brothers distributed labels. Geffen never acquired the rights to those albums. So presumably the only masters of Joni's that would have perished in the fire would have been those four Geffen albums.

I do love those Geffen era albums (especially Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm) so it would be a real shame if the multi-tracks went up in the fire, making a surround mix impossible. However, the quad masters for Court & Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns as well as the multi-tracks for all the other 60's and 70's albums should thankfully be in the possession of the Warner associated labels.
If only her Geffen albums were affected by the fire, then her Reprise and Asylum albums should be ripe for the picking, especially her quad albums for a Quadio box set. It would certainly have made no sense for her WMG albums to have been held in a UMG warehouse.

Back