Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than Court and Hissing... What else would be in the box?
It is rumoured that Blue may have been mixed in quad as well, even though it was never released.

I can't seem to find it now, but the only evidence I've seen of a possible unreleased Blue quad mix was in a '70s Billboard magazine article that
@steelydave linked a few years ago. The article had a interview with Warner engineer Lee Herschberg, who mentioned remixing the song "Carey" for quad. I suppose it's possible that he kept going and mixed the entire album, but it was never announced in an LP/tape catalog or assigned a record #.

I can't seem to find it now, but the only evidence I've seen of a possible unreleased Blue quad mix was in a '70s Billboard magazine article that
@steelydave linked a few years ago. The article had a interview with Warner engineer Lee Herschberg, who mentioned remixing the song "Carey" for quad. I suppose it's possible that he kept going and mixed the entire album, but it was never announced in an LP/tape catalog or assigned a record #.

Yeah that's correct, only the text mix of Carey was confirmed in that article, which was circa 1971, which was basically about how WEA were dipping their toes into quad.

By the same token however, Jac Holzman (who oversaw their quad program) is quoted in two or three different trade publication interviews from 1973 saying that they had been stockpiling quad mixes from 1971 through their big September 1973 initial 25-QuadraDisc release, so I think anything from that time period is a possibility, especially a "name-brand" artist like Joni Mitchell.

Blue has a 4.0 remix and it was rumored [but NOT confirmed] that Ladies of the Canyon was likewise remixed for QUAD. And wouldn't it be nice to have Joni's phenomenol LIVE album MILES OF AISLES with backing from the LA Express in stereo on a LOSSLESS BD~A, as well?

Thanks... I had my fingers crossed for Hejira and Don Juan, but I’ll take all the surround Joni that I can get.

Thanks... I had my fingers crossed for Hejira and Don Juan, but I’ll take all the surround Joni that I can get.

Presumably anything related to those albums will be in Archives Vol. 3 - The Asylum Years. (Vol. 2 covers the Reprise albums only.)

I have trouble keeping these things in my head from year to year--or week to week, for that matter--but I want to say that I remember hearing rumors about a 5.1 mix for Hejira. Maybe there was even a fleeting announcement of it as a forthcoming title? Doesn't mean it was ever actually done, however.

Here we go:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/unreleased-joni-mitchell-dvdas.22590/#post-311185

Just so people don't get their hopes up too much, that WMG list referred to in the post linked above turned out not to be a list of upcoming releases, or even mixes that were completed, but rather it was a list of propsective titles that WMG hoped to do, as relayed from a Warner Germany representative to a journalist there just at the dawn of the DVD-A launch.

Obviously lots of titles on that list did eventually come to fruition, and it's possible that some of the Joni Mitchell 5.1s were completed and never released, but simply being on that list doesn't guarantee that an unreleased mix exists.

I found the Billboard article in question (it starts around page 45). This description of the "Carey" quad mix does sound rather promising.

Carey Quad Billboard.jpg

Wow! That site is a rabbit hole filled with anger. Not an emotionally good place to go. :) Yep, Joni can be that way. That's why, of all of the artists I love, she is the one I don't want to meet. I'd rather take my chances with Kate Bush. At least she seems sweet. :)

I love Joni’s music. That said, I saw CSN live about 5 years back, and in way of indrotuction to “Woodstock”, Crosby opined that Joni was the greatest songwriter in the world. And that being in a relationship with her was like living in a tumble dryer.

Slightly more on topic, I have placed my order for the most recent box set. I don‘t have good copies of the first two albums, and have just a standard issue “Blue”, but a very nice Japanese vinyl press of “Court and Spark”. I have read that the DCC version of “Court and Spark“ is great, but at this point they are out of my price range. And like many others, I yearn for a 5.1 mix. In the meantime, would anyone care to opine on the merits of the DCC CD vs. the Japanese vinyl? Not exactly apples to apples, but I am still learning.

A preview of Archives, Vol. 2 (due out in October): "The Dawntreader," recorded by Jimi Hendrix. That Jimi Hendrix. At a coffeehouse in Ottawa, a day before Joni's first album was released.
https://www.npr.org/sections/now-playing/2021/07/28/1021823402/joni-mitchell-the-dawntreader

That coffeehouse was Le Hibou. I was too young and missed both Hendix at the Capitol Theatre and Joni at Le Hibou. I do remember catching Syrinx and Pearls Before Swine there later and missing hundreds of other gems. I stood outside listening to Dr John oozing through the walls.

Back