Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The version of "Both Sides Now" on her orchestral 'best of' album (also named Both Sides Now) which is on a DVD-A is much slower, with her older 'smoky' voice and a beautiful orchestral arrangement. One of my favorite quad discs
I much prefer the original to be honest, much more personal and vulnerable sounding. It’s a good version though.

My wife and I saw Joni at the Universal Amphitheater in the mid 70s. It was one of the two concerts that made the “Miles of Aisles” album. And, yes, we heard the “You’ve got more class…” yell from someone closer to the front.

Last edited:
My wife and I saw Joni at the Universal Amphitheater in the mid 70s. It was one of the two concerts that made the “Miles od Aisles” album. And, yes, we heard the “You’ve got more class…” yell from someone closer to the front.

If any album deserves a bona fide 5.1 remix, it's Joni's 1974 first LIVE album MILES OF AISLES with the LA Express

R.9737ecc5d185ef6d938d7da87909f047

Last edited:
Wow, to be lucky enough to have seen Joni live!

Doug
The Universal Amphitheatre had a LOT of great acts come through. Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli, Kris Kristofferson, Paul Williams, and Peter, Paul and Mary come to mind. I'm sure we saw more than that.

My wife and I saw Joni at the Universal Amphitheater in the mid 70s. It was one of the two concerts that made the “Miles of Aisles” album. And, yes, we heard the “You’ve got more class…” yell from someone closer to the front.
I was there as well. What a great musical night that was. A very different energy than her Dorothy Chandler show a year before. Although, I had a 102 fever that night (Chandler show), so I only heard angels singing.

The Universal Amphitheatre had a LOT of great acts come through. Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli, Kris Kristofferson, Paul Williams, and Peter, Paul and Mary come to mind. I'm sure we saw more than that.
Bette Midler with some guy named Barry Manilow as her music director. And then there was that Diamond Dogs tour that rolled through there (I missed that one even though I had 19th row tickets).

At least I can lay claim to have seen the Diamond Dogs show in St. Paul and it was the first show where he switched from the predominantly Ziggy type show to the more Young Americans style show. Still a lot of material from the earlier era but played more in the new style. And, there was much from the Dogs album, of course.

My girlfriend (later wife) and I originally had seats about 20 rows out but everybody in front of us kept standing up. Well, I wasn't going to have that so I grabbed her hand and we did some "crowd infiltration" and ended up right at the stage and I shook Bowie's hand.

Same year as Joni's "Court and Spark"

Doug

Well, Rhino has recently been mining Joni's catalog. Last year they released the second volume of her archive series that covered the years 1968 - 1971. They have said that they plan on continuing with that series. In conjunction with that second volume of the archive series, they also released The Reprise Albums (1968 - 1971), a box set containing her first four albums. So if they continue with the pattern, the next archive box would certainly cover the period during which she was signed to Asylum and released Court & Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns, both of which were of course released in quad back in the day. Perhaps they will release a The Asylum Years (1972 - 1979) box that could include the two quads on a Blu-ray. (Or perhaps they break this period up into two boxes as the Asylum era includes six studio and two live albums). Fingers crossed that Rhino gets us those quads!

Doug
Only once; 1979 Greek Theater in Los Angeles; Joni with Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker and Don Alias. Pretty much the Shadows & Light show we had on laserdisc then DVD. Magic!

Last edited:
Only once; 1979 Greek Theater in Los Angeles; Joni with Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker and Don Alias. Pretty much the shadows & Light show we had on laserdisc then DVD. Magic!

Very jealous. That live album and video are amazing. Has a better backing band ever been assembled? I seriously doubt it.

I did get to see Joni in '98 on the site of the original Woodstock festival. Lou Reed and Pete Townshend were also on the bill. A pretty stellar lineup. All three were amazing.

My wife and I saw her at an outdoor venue in OKC during her "Hissing of Summer Lawns" tour, 1975 I think. She flubbed the lyrics of her Shadows & Light song so badly they stopped playing and had to re-start the song.

Doug

I was a USA foreign graduate student in Edinburgh, Scotland, and Joni came through with her then-husband (the bass player, early 80s).
It was at the Playhouse, if you are familiar with that city.

She was magnificent! I had a great seat on the 3rd row, and she was good enough for me to forget about my aching knees and legs (older European theatres are built for much smaller people . . . and be sure to duck under any castle doorway, or you'll "hit your heid" in the local vernacular, lol).

She strummed the opening bars of "Amelia" on her electric guitar, and I gasped out the name, and she looked at me and nodded. Loved it.

But the most memorable moment was when she took out her hummingbird zither and played a few notes of "A Case of You," then stopped -- "the
climate here has this way out of tune," she apologized.

Needless to say, the crowd instantly made her continue. It was awesome!

Please, bring on the earlier albums in quad!!! I have most of her albums in HDCD, which, apart from that later live DVD, is about the best sound
you can get from her work atm (and they are really worth the investment, if you can handle that now somewhat defunct format). Would love to hear "Ladies of the Canyon" in surround!

Back