HiRez Poll Joplin, Janis/Big Brother & the Holding Company - CHEAP THRILLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Janis Joplin/Big Brother - CHEAP THRILLS

• Total voters
8. a solid 10 for performance. This is one of the best albums of that era. 5, at best for surround effects. If you listen to this as 2ch, and that's understandable, be sure to listen to Piece of My Heart as 5.1, since that version/mix is the only one with the extended guitar outro. For Joplin/BB fans, that alone is worth the price of admission here. Yes, some of it was recorded in the studio, and the rest was live. If you've seen the documentary film Janis, they are seen in the studio recording some of this album.

Fred, should we amend your vote to "4?" Mercedes Benz is on Pearl, not Cheap Thrills.
a "5" from me.

2 for Janis,
1 for it being in surround/sacd at all (!),
1 for that Mercedes Benz track
and 1 more point for the amazing cover art (albeit reduced to postage stamp size here..!)

8. a solid 10 for performance. This is one of the best albums of that era. 5, at best for surround effects. If you listen to this as 2ch, and that's understandable, be sure to listen to Piece of My Heart as 5.1, since that version/mix is the only one with the extended guitar outro. For Joplin/BB fans, that alone is worth the price of admission here. Yes, some of it was recorded in the studio, and the rest was live. If you've seen the documentary film Janis, they are seen in the studio recording some of this album.

Fred, should we amend your vote to "4?" Mercedes Benz is on Pearl, not Cheap Thrills.

oops! i'm such a twat! must be crazy from the heat! yeah make it a 4!

i meant the other biggy that stood out for me last time i played it..

looking at the track list on the back.. guess it must be Piece of my heart ("ooh baby take another little piece of my heart now baby!" thangyooverymuch..!!) that you mention as having extra bits in the 5.1 on this SACD..

could be.. or whatever it was.

now back to my dear old donald fagen! he who can do no wrong! he never lets me down.

"as we walked between the raindrops back to your doooooooor.... big drum roll.. yee haa! woo!

2988618.jpg

Back