JRiver digital playback for beginners. Question and Answer Forum, 2021.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered a way to get all the tracks from an MKV file with chapters into the JRiver Audio Library (instead of the known method which puts MKVs into JRiver's Video Library and includes the album and track tags for the audio library:

This method plays MKVs gapless (ideal for playing like Abbey Road in Atmos). Its very easy too:

1. Rip the BDA into a single MKV file (JRiver will play the Atmos stream if it's the only audio stream in the MKV)
2. Create a CUE file containing all the track info (Music Media Helper version 4.1.4 will create a CUE for an MKV getting the tracks names or the song titles from MusicBrainz online music database):

The new Album folder contents (file naming is not important):
MKVwithCUEinFolder.PNG

3. Import the album folder into JRiver

The album now shows up in the JRiver Audio library

JRiver view below: (note it's listed in the Audio library and Filename shows same file with Chapter Number on end):
MKVwithCUEinJRiver1.PNG

JRiver imports the tags from the CUE (no need for any Sidecar XML files as the tags are read from the CUE file)
MKVwithCUEinJRiver2.PNG

Gapless playback for Atmos too!

The MMH tool to create CUE files for MKV files and fetch the track names fro Musicbrainz is now released in Music Media Helper version 4.1.4:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/mmh-how-to-create-cue-files-for-mkvs.30206/

Last edited:
With MMH only running on Windows, can anyone tell me if there's a viable solution to ripping/playing Atmos files on a Mac? Thanks in advance!

With MMH only running on Windows, can anyone tell me if there's a viable solution to ripping/playing Atmos files on a Mac? Thanks in advance!

Here's one way: (MAC guys may confirm?)

MakeMKV runs on MAC OS. Rip the BDA to MKV selecting only the TrueHD 7.1 stream.

I'm pretty sure JRiver runs on MAC too (?). If so MKVs will play in JRiver. You could create a Cue file manually, its not hard but it takes a while to enter the data. I can send you a template file (just edit it)

Of course, to decode Atmos you need to have a Mac / Macbook with HDMI output and connected to a AVR with an Atmos decoder.

Set up JRiver Zones for Atmos as described my @marpow early in this thread.

You could also get Windows emulation software and run Windows on a MAC and use MMH :)

For Blu-ray Video and DVD Video, I use MakeMKV and split concerts into song files and rename with MMH. I only leave the surround audio stream in the MKV output files (I only listen to concerts in surround).

For Movies I use MakeMKV to create an MKV file (but don’t split)
I just rip the blu-ray ISO and then import it into JRiver. And lo it works, pretty much exactly as playing the disc from the player (this is just for Atmos). For 5.1 / Quad I use AudioMuxer and rip the appropriate files to flac.

Here's one way: (MAC guys may confirm?)

MakeMKV runs on MAC OS. Rip the BDA to MKV selecting only the TrueHD 7.1 stream.

I'm pretty sure JRiver runs on MAC too (?). If so MKVs will play in JRiver. You could create a Cue file manually, its not hard but it takes a while to enter the data. I can send you a template file (just edit it)

Of course, to decode Atmos you need to have a Mac / Macbook with HDMI output and connected to a AVR with an Atmos decoder.

I would love a template! Thanks Homer. What app do you use (or would I use on a Mac) to create a Cue file?

And yes, my Mac Mini is connected via HDMI to my Marantz 8805. I usually play music via DLNA through the Oppo 205, but I suppose for Atmos I'd have to go directly from the Mac to the AVR, is that correct?

I just rip the blu-ray ISO and then import it into JRiver. And lo it works, pretty much exactly as playing the disc from the player (this is just for Atmos). For 5.1 / Quad I use AudioMuxer and rip the appropriate files to flac.
I also rip the whole Blu Ray disc, it doesn't matter if it's Atmos, Auro3D, DTS-HD 4.0, PCM, 5.1, etc. So it serves as a backup of the whole disc, and it allows you to play it in JRiver just like a regular player.

The only limitation is that the individual songs in the BluRay backup do not appear in JRiver's library.
So if I have any favorite individual songs that I play regularly, I also create a separate file (MKV for Atmos, FLAC for others) -- and this allows me to search by the song title in JRiver and play it directly, without going through the Blu Ray menu (which can sometimes take a few seconds to start up). I don't need to do this for SACD ISOs, because the individual songs inside the SACD ISO appear in JRiver's library.
And you can create a playlist of individual songs (can be a mix of MKV, MP4, FLAC, or an individual song within an SACD ISO), which you cannot do with a BluRay backup.

Edit:
------
I've just found a way to add an individual song in a BDMV Blu Ray backup folder.
Please refer to last part of this post.
So you can do this without creating a separate MKV file for the song.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ate-cue-files-for-mkv-files.30206/post-553664

Last edited:
I would love a template! Thanks Homer. What app do you use (or would I use on a Mac) to create a Cue file?

And yes, my Mac Mini is connected via HDMI to my Marantz 8805. I usually play music via DLNA through the Oppo 205, but I suppose for Atmos I'd have to go directly from the Mac to the AVR, is that correct?

If you ask him nice, he could probably incorporate cue file making into MMH?

Cue file making IS in MMH; the issue is that MMH is not in Mac. :)

I meant a general cue template maker not one tied to mkv files.

I have looked for cue template makers in windows and never found one specifically for generating cues. I will be surprised if one exists for Macs.

Cue tools and foobar come close but you would have to use dummy files to generate the template.

First, thank you marpow for creating these step by step instructions, and to all the others who contributed as well.

Second, I thought it might be useful to combine all parts into one pdf file so I did that, doing very little editing but adding more formatting for clarity.
Wow, Bob, that is really great. I am not sure as my confidence in instruction is not that high, but I did try my best.
I also like all the input others have given and I hope more than anything another person that is struggling but wants to have a digital file playback system can achieve this, with a little bit of work.
I have put your PDF on my desktop and if the subject comes up again down the road I can copy and paste your PDF.
Thanks again, fantastic.

I have a Server/Client setup. My server is a standard desktop computer that I built last year. It has a dedicated 10TB HD to store all my media files and is the main library. The desktop is located in a separate room from my audio setup. I have Nimitra fanless PC (thanks for the recommendation Kal) in the audio setup. It is connected to my home network. So the JRiver library is accessed through the network via the desktop computer. I chose this setup specifically for ease of disc conversion and library build. I could just transfer all the files to an external drive and attach to the Nimitra, but I appreciate the convenience of the desktop. My understanding is I must follow the instructions to configure the JRiver on the Nimitra, not the JRiver on the desktop. Is there an easier solution or am I completely misunderstanding the process? By the way Mark, is that a Baetis Audio Prodigy? I considered it, but went with the NImitra. Unfortunately it does not have a disc drive.

So, I would like to ask a question of the JRiver users here that play BluRays (esp if they include Atmos). Can a bluray ISO rip or BDMV folder be sent (bitstreamed via HDMI) from JRiver to you AVR/pre/pro and then pick the Atmos stream from the menu? Some have said JRiver needs an MKV, but there's been at least one response about an ISO rip. And I've been toying with Abbey Road Atmos on my desktop (even though I haven't bought an Atmos pre/pro yet for the new room) and it seems we can choose the Atmos layer by choosing the TrueHD 7.1 layer from the remote (for me it's the keyboard up/down). Since I am doing this all pre-Atmos maybe all you can get with these non-MKV files is a 7.1 stream? Please advise, thx.

Yes it can. I've set a JRiver zone up on my laptop for Atmos playback

I've a Marantz NR1710

I created a new Zone called "Atmos". After mmm-ing and ahh-ing I changed the Bitstreaming option for this Zone to Yes (HDMI). From the drop down in the Device settings after I'd plugged my Laptop into the amp via HDMI I saw there was an option 1 - marantz -AVR (AMD High Definition Audio Device) [WASAPI] (as below)

1611959221553.png

1611959566110.png

And lo when I play back an MKV or a Blu-Ray iso with Atmos, the Atmos mix streams.

Yes it can. I've set a JRiver zone up on my laptop for Atmos playback

I've a Marantz NR1710

I created a new Zone called "Atmos". After mmm-ing and ahh-ing I changed the Bitstreaming option for this Zone to Yes (HDMI). From the drop down in the Device settings after I'd plugged my Laptop into the amp via HDMI I saw there was an option 1 - marantz -AVR (AMD High Definition Audio Device) [WASAPI] (as below)

1611959221553.png

1611959566110.png

And lo when I play back an MKV or a Blu-Ray iso with Atmos, the Atmos mix streams.
This is exactly how I do it, plays wonderful, I think I explained it somewhere in my educational notes.

I have a Server/Client setup. My server is a standard desktop computer that I built last year. It has a dedicated 10TB HD to store all my media files and is the main library. The desktop is located in a separate room from my audio setup. I have Nimitra fanless PC (thanks for the recommendation Kal) in the audio setup. It is connected to my home network. So the JRiver library is accessed through the network via the desktop computer. I chose this setup specifically for ease of disc conversion and library build. I could just transfer all the files to an external drive and attach to the Nimitra, but I appreciate the convenience of the desktop. My understanding is I must follow the instructions to configure the JRiver on the Nimitra, not the JRiver on the desktop. Is there an easier solution or am I completely misunderstanding the process? By the way Mark, is that a Baetis Audio Prodigy? I considered it, but went with the NImitra. Unfortunately it does not have a disc drive.
This is the link to my fanless PC, it is a tank and just plain works everyday. I never have a problem with it. I had a couple Intel NUC's and did not have good luck, noisy, etc. I know others on QQ have the NUC's with great success. The company SilentPC was very helpful, I told them exactly what my purpose was and they built it exactly the way I wanted. I sit in my chair with my PC laptop that I go remotely into the Comet Lake using a remote program called Splashtop. I also use the JRiver app that works perfect.
Comet Lake Mini ITX Fanless PC | Streacom FC8

Back