JRiver Media Center Online Resources & Guides

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JRiver's annual sale on Media Center licenses is now underway.
It is a chance to get the next version (Media Center 25) at a discount through February 2, 2019.

Good Day,

We've had a very strong response to our pre-order sale of JRiver Media Center 25, but like all good things, it will come to an end this week. Once a year, you can purchase an upgrade license at a very generous discount, but when it ends (on Saturday), you'll need to wait until next year to get this good a price.

Please note that, if you tried to purchase the upgrade, but were unsuccessful, please read the Upgrade Help Topic. It has complete instructions. If you've never purchased, please read on for discount news.

NEW: Just a few of the many new things coming in MC25
Lyrics Download
Movie Trailers
Import / Export button for TV recording rules Artist images in Playing Now
Panel can build and save playlists
Radio Paradise and Radio JRiver Improvements

Coming Soon
Related Artists
Hardware acceleration for video conversion

The pre-order sale for JRiver Media Center 25 has been extended through February 2nd. If you've already purchased, thank you! You can follow the development progress on the forum. We will send an email with instructions when MC25 is available (in early April). You can use your new MC25 license now with MC24.

If you didn't upgrade, this is your last chance for the best price of the year -- just $19.98 to upgrade for a single OS, or $26.98 to upgrade for all three OS's.

How to Upgrade
Please pre-order by February 2nd to get our best special upgrade price.

Windows Upgrade $19.98 (Direct Link)
Mac Upgrade $19.98
Linux Upgrade $19.98
Master License Upgrade $26.98 (for Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Regular upgrade prices are $29.98 for a single OS and $39.98 for a Master License.
You can upgrade, at these prices, from any previous version of JRiver Media Center, all the way back to MC10. Please see Upgrade Help for how to recover your old license.

These licenses work with MC24 now and will work with MC25 when it is available in April. Your data from the older version of MC will be converted automatically.

Questions?
Upgrade Help on the JRiver forum will step you through the process. To get the best price of the year on MC25. please pre-order now.
If you purchased MC24 after December 15, 2018, you received an MC25 license that also works with the latest builds of MC24 and will work with MC25 when releases begin in April.
Pre-order a JRiver Media Center 25 upgrade license today to receive the best price of the year -- 30% off. This sale ends very soon.

New Purchase Discount
If you have never purchased MC, just download and purchase MC24, using this coupon:
BADBETTY ($10 off)

You will receive an MC25 license that works with both versions. When MC25 is available in April, you can just download and install it.

Best regards,
JRiver

I installed the new release from JRiver today, MC25. It installed flawlessly, grabbed all my stuff from my MC24, works perfect.
The big news with MC25 is the add lyrics prompt. I got it to work on one song out of many, but it is eluding me at moment. All the prompts work, etc, but it looks like on the JRiver forum it is hit or miss with others also.
I am sure they will figure out very fast.
Lyrics topic

After a few months and possibly 4 or 5 updates the new "Lyrics" feature is now fully functional on JRiver player.
Right click on the cover artwork when playing your particular album and lyrics appear in upper box.
If there are a lot of lyrics the font is on the smaller side, other than that this is a game changer feature for me.
I have been using JRiver for playback now for almost two years and have always been 100% satisfied. The only thing I would like now, which Foobar does, is to show the wavelengths for surround, currently JRiver has wavelength for two speakers regardless of listening to surround or stereo.

The new MC26 by James River was released yesterday. I downloaded my prepaid version today.
I'm considering the upgrade. I suspect that they have very quietly fixed their many database issues, the ones they blamed on users, but privately knew were code issues. Things like albums just not appearing in the Library but were in the folders. Albums appearing twice as if each track was ripped twice in same folder. Just weirdness they never would acknowledge.

I got this email from JRiver which I know some of you also have. i just wanted to share more so for the beginning about how we, because of staying at home, is stressing out bandwidth. You can read for yourself.

Good Day,

We hope you're well. These commonly used words now have a vastly different meaning.

We woke a few weeks ago to find a very different world around us. All of us are now trying to adjust. Unfortunately, some of us won't make it. We wonder when things will be back to normal.

This is a different kind of newsletter from JRiver. I want to put more emphasis on using our software than usual. We're still happy to do business, but this one is about discovering more of what's there in the software.

Before I begin, many thanks to all the paramedics, nurses, doctors, policemen, grocery and pharmacy staff, and all the other people who are working with the public, risking their lives to serve us. We love you. No kidding. You're special people. Thank you.

For those who find themselves at home a lot more now, while you're waiting for the all clear to sound, here are a few thoughts.

Give the Internet a Break
With so many people spending so much time at home, the Internet is saturated by people streaming movies, to a point that ISP's are having to take steps to preserve bandwidth in order to maintain the basic communication and business needs of the world.

So the first suggestion is to step back from Netflix or whatever service you use for movies. Give it a break. Donate a little bandwidth.

JRiver Offers Other Entertainment
JRiver Media Center can help curb the streaming movie habit. You can play a DVD or Blu-ray disc, and JRiver has lots of aspects you may have overlooked. I'm going to talk about two of them here. Photos and Music Streaming.

JRiver is Excellent for Photo Management
JRiver is known for its high quality audio and video, but it is equally powerful as a photo manager.

Though it's not generally viewed as a photo manager, there is no better solution than JRiver. You can manage large collections easily, find photos fast, and display them in some novel ways.

So how about making a start on organizing those 50,000 photos you've got "somewhere"? Maybe still on a phone.

Here are some tips to get you started. These are just the highlights. Please check our wiki and forumfor more details.

Getting Your Photos Into JRiver
Your files are not moved during this process, so they'll continue to be available from the OS or however you're used to viewing.

1. You can use JRiver to "acquire" your photos from your phone. Be careful to tell it whether you want the photos left on the phone or not. Camera is located in the Action Window (lower left corner) and settings are there too.

2. You can set up auto-import under the Tools Menu to watch a folder on your computer and import pictures and other files it finds.

3. You can use Camera (Action Window) to paste from the clipboard. This is handy for finding album art on the Internet, using a Google search.

Moving Files Around
You don't need to move them, but if you want to, here's how.

4. You can use the very powerful JRiver tool called "Rename, Move, or Copy". It's under the Tools menu. Select a few files and try it. It can intelligently re-arrange your files on your disk.

5. You can drag photos onto your phone or use Handheld Sync. You can set up playlists to sync (Handheld settings).

Tagging and Management
Tags identify characteristics of the photo. Trip, Place, Subject, Friends, Family, etc. Anything that sorts the files into different categories.

6. Inside MC, you can select images and tag them. "Trip to Idaho", for example. There are people tags and others. Location is automatically used if your phone is set to add the GPS location to your photos.

7. You can delete photos you don't want (hard or soft delete). (Best practice is to delete them from the phone as soon as you take them, but who does that?)

8. You can add photos to a playlist so you can change the order and play them as a set.

9. Right click on any photo to make it your Desktop background.

10. Edit any photo by right clicking and choosing Edit. Crop, Resize, Rotate, Adjust, etc. MC automatically keeps the original and saves each change you make, so it's easy to revert. Save as lets you convert formats.

11. Select a photo or more and choose print in the Action Window. There are lots of options.

Playing
12. On playback, pause the slideshow with spacebar, zoom with mouse scroll wheel or number keys (position the cursor where you want it centered, and press 3 or 4 or ...).

13. Right click on any image to choose Preview Image. A filmstrip is shown on the right and a full size image on the left.

14. Enjoy your music while you organize and edit. Just start something playing first.

Choose a Soundtrack for Your Solitude (Music Streaming)
JRiver's new streaming is completely lossless, just like Tidal, Qobuz or the new Amazon service, but at a much lower cost.

JRiver has an extremely reliable server at Amazon, and you can use it. It's listener supported, so you decide whether and what to give.

JRiver's streaming consists of two parts: Radio JRiver and Cloudplay.

Radio JRiver
Radio JRiver has programmed six lossless stations for you. Just click on Cloudplay in the tree on the left, then on one of the radio buttons at the top.

Cloudplay
Cloudplay has really taken off for JRiver and those who have discovered its capabilities. We have a lossless library of 170,000 files you can play in JRiver Media Center. You can mix them with your local library by using Play Doctor. Check Cloudplay settings.

Cloudplay -- Another Great Way to Avoid the News

If you want to upload, just gather your best choices into mixed playlists (our license doesn't allow full albums or single artists. Right click on the playlist to "Upload to Cloud". We appreciate mixed playlists of well tagged files. Cloudplay also supports high res files up to 192K and multi-channel.

These files also feed Radio JRiver stations.

Note. We pay the license fees for this service. We use the compulsary license, so the rules require mixed playlists. No single artists or full albums. We have a Takedown Notice for copyright owners.

MC26 Upgrade
If you haven't upgraded (see how to check your licenses below ), upgrade prices start at $26.98, and here's a coupon that will save you an additional $5:

$5 Coupon: APRILSHWRS

How to Upgrade
1. Retrieve your current license(s) by using option 2 on the Restore Page.
2. Download and install MC26
3. Restore your old license in MC26.
4. Purchase the Upgrade from the MC Help Menu. Enter your coupon and double check the price. Alternate method available in the upgrade instructions below.

Complete Upgrade Instructions in case you need more details.

Stay well. Keep in touch.

Warm Regards,

Jim Hillegass
CEO

Getting Started FAQ Restoring a License Wiki Forum Unsubscribe

I downloaded the 64-bit Windows version of JRiver Media Center 26 on Friday.
Working fine here.
I also downloaded 26 in Dec. but I am still missing albums that do not import into my library that are in the artist folders on my hard drives. Not many but a few here and there. And some volumes of a big box set show up out of order even when they have titles and are tagged perfectly with numbers in sequence. I think it could be that some box sets have no disc number in meta / tags. But I think if disc #'s are missing (for a multiple disc set), it should sequence them in order according to the title with a number after it.

Last edited:
I also downloaded 26 in Dec. but I am still missing albums that do not import into my library that are in the artist folders on my hard drives. Not many but a few here and there. And some volumes of a big box set show up out of order even when they have titles and are tagged perfectly with numbers in sequence. I think it could be that some box sets have no disc number in meta / tags. But I think if disc #'s are missing (for a multiple disc set), it should sequence them in order according to the title with a number after it.
That is too bad, I have not had that problem ever. I think my first version was MC23?
I do know sometimes when doing an import of a new title, JRiver will add about 7-8 titles that are there but down in my most recent. No big deal just out of order from when I originally imported.
I feel very comfortable with JRiver but I do keep after it so it remains nice and tidy.

I currently run JRiver 25 64 bit on my computer in the back room. I have an oppo 103 connected to my onkyo nr656 w hdmi in my living room. I can listen to my FLAC music through my onkyo receiver with JRiver remote from my phone. But wondering if there is a way to play my SACD ISO mch files? I also have foobar but think it can be done with my oppo and JRiver just not sure. Thank you!

Last edited:
JRiver MC27 is being released soon. I love my JRiver, just works every day. There are many things in this new package but are are some good highlights, mainly they are rolling out some multichannel via there streamer.

What's New in MC27
On our forum, you can read about What's New (so far) and Goals for MC27.
Get a taste of it below.

Streaming with JRiver
We've heard our customers tell us that they want better streaming. The good news is that our Cloudplay playlist system is growing and stable. You can choose from almost 3000 curated playlists of lossless music. Some of it is Hi Res, and even some mult-channel.

We've chosen not to offer services like Tidal because we don't think they have a winning business model. You can read more here: Why Streaming Struggles

Luckily, you can use JRiver's WDM Driver to route any web audio (Tidal or otherwise) through MC's audio engine.

Local Files Work Better
Your local library of high quality content will always perform better, delivering faster searches and dependable playback even when the Internet is weak, broken, or not available.

A local library costs less. If you pay even $15 a month for a service, it's $180 a year. A local library is less expensive. JRiver costs about $30 a year or less (since you don't need to upgrade every year).

It travels well. With affordable storage, you can easily take a library of a few thousand tracks with you.

And ... you can never listen to millions of tracks. Never.

Quality, Value, and Stability
It's what JRiver believes matters most.

Download MC27 Now
Take it for a 30 day spin and see if it doesn't exceed your expectations. Just the most recent developments below should be worth a look. Download from a thread on the MC27 board. It will be on the Download Page in a week or two. If you have trouble finding it, please read Where is MC27.

HDHomerun TV Tuner Support
Silicondust offers great network TV tuners. They're a good substitute for a cable subscription and a whole lot less expensive. JRiver has supported them for years. Now Silicondust and JRiver are both working on improving their integration, and it's starting to pay off. Read More

MakeMKV for Blu-ray and DVD
You can also take your movies along with you. You can use MakeMKV to rip DVD and Blu-ray discs to mkv format so they can be played in MC. MakeMKV just added the ability for JRiver to open and play Blu-ray discs. We have more planned.

Hopefully JRiver M27 will support MCH playback from MPEG m4a files as this allows playback of Atmos, TrueHD, DTS-HDMA etc from a tagged audio file.
I was glad to see they are acknowledging your MKV. I am system down right now, almost done with my cabling. Hopefully I'll hit the ignition this weekend and it will fire up. I will have to re read everything Atmos so I can get up to speed.

I was glad to see they are acknowledging your MKV.

MKV (Matroska Video) is a popular media stream container with great support for editing/manipulating data. It also can contain metadata for chapters and tags. It can hold almost all media streams (unconverted lossless etc). Not DSF though.

MKA (Matroska Audio) is the audio equivalent to MKV but it’s music tagging is non standard and not many players or tagging programs support full album tags so it has not been widely adopted for audio.

M4A is an MPEG media stream container for audio streams only. It supports standard tagging by most tagging programs so it’s ideal for lossless hires audio formats like Atmos.

Only recently has support for TrueHD been added for MPEG (m4a) so some media players/software still need updating to support TrueHD/Atmos playback. It will be widely supported over coming months I’d think, as it’s a better solution than using MKV or MKA since M4A files will become just another tagged audio file and play/appear just like FLAC, mp3, wav etc in any player (Except you can play Atmos, DTS-HDMA etc from within the file, not just PCM).

But wondering if there is a way to play my SACD ISO mch files? I also have foobar but think it can be done with my oppo and JRiver just not sure. Thank you!
You can play them on JRiver and send the output via HDMI to the Oppo. Output from the Oppo to your Onkyo.

JRiver Media Center for Mac has been buggy from the beginning and remains so. I will no longer purchase updates that is based on the same unreliable code.

JRiver MC27 is being released soon. I love my JRiver, just works every day. There are many things in this new package but are are some good highlights, mainly they are rolling out some multichannel via there streamer.

What's New in MC27
On our forum, you can read about What's New (so far) and Goals for MC27.
Get a taste of it below.

Streaming with JRiver
We've heard our customers tell us that they want better streaming. The good news is that our Cloudplay playlist system is growing and stable. You can choose from almost 3000 curated playlists of lossless music. Some of it is Hi Res, and even some mult-channel.

We've chosen not to offer services like Tidal because we don't think they have a winning business model. You can read more here: Why Streaming Struggles

Luckily, you can use JRiver's WDM Driver to route any web audio (Tidal or otherwise) through MC's audio engine.

Local Files Work Better
Your local library of high quality content will always perform better, delivering faster searches and dependable playback even when the Internet is weak, broken, or not available.

A local library costs less. If you pay even $15 a month for a service, it's $180 a year. A local library is less expensive. JRiver costs about $30 a year or less (since you don't need to upgrade every year).

It travels well. With affordable storage, you can easily take a library of a few thousand tracks with you.

And ... you can never listen to millions of tracks. Never.

Quality, Value, and Stability
It's what JRiver believes matters most.

Download MC27 Now
Take it for a 30 day spin and see if it doesn't exceed your expectations. Just the most recent developments below should be worth a look. Download from a thread on the MC27 board. It will be on the Download Page in a week or two. If you have trouble finding it, please read Where is MC27.

HDHomerun TV Tuner Support
Silicondust offers great network TV tuners. They're a good substitute for a cable subscription and a whole lot less expensive. JRiver has supported them for years. Now Silicondust and JRiver are both working on improving their integration, and it's starting to pay off. Read More

MakeMKV for Blu-ray and DVD
You can also take your movies along with you. You can use MakeMKV to rip DVD and Blu-ray discs to mkv format so they can be played in MC. MakeMKV just added the ability for JRiver to open and play Blu-ray discs. We have more planned.
I took the bait last year and went from vers. 23 to 26 upgrade I think it was. I noticed no improvement of performance and no new features (that I needed) and no sign of missing albums in library that I have been dealing with for several years. See I have albums in folders on my drives that simply do not appear in Library after an import. And the tags are all fine. It’s odd. The new version did the same thing and failed to find them.

Another thing that happens is that a six disc box set often shows the volumes out of order on pane list. I am aware that these discs were not set as 1/6, 2/6, 3/6 and so on. They are all #’d as disc one of one or 1/1. I feel that they should be in order of the album tag volume. Like Bitches Brew Session - 1, and Bitches Brew Sessions - 2, etc. if discs are not numbered then album tags with - # should be the default. But nope, I asked about it in the forums and was told that it does not always default to album title with number added. Ok. But sometimes it actually does do that. Just not a for sure thing.

So I think I’ll sit out JRiver for a good long few years before I consider an upgrade again. I think they are overdoing it a bit more than they should.

Back